All reviews wild horses salt river kayak trip hour trip easy ride rope swing old west dry bag fun kayaking lived closer resident manager rent kayaks tube float great adventure beautiful wildlife late arrival breakfast each morning
Reviewed 28 March 2017

we stayed for several days with our 2 elementary age girls. they loved it. simple pool but warm. friendly staff. downhome. did not feel stuffy at all. no tv except 1 in the lodge. we loved the collection of board games. family loved the pool table. the view of the rocks is absolutely amazing as the sun is setting.

since most days only breakfast is offered it would have been nice to have a little more in the cabin than a small fridge. also our cabin really had no outside sitting room except a small patio surrounded by driveway. most the other cabins seemed to have a better sitting area. we did move to some central tables to play games in the evening.

beds and bathrooms were clean.

breakfast was good. coffee has a little off flavor, maybe the water?

we did the horse back rides at the ranch and it was a lovely ride through the dessert with views of red rock and saguaro lake.

we went up the lake to a swim area one day and did a short hike and enjoyed swimming.

we would definitely stay here again. but it is not for someone looking for the jw marriot (where we stayed next and we all preferred the guest ranch)

Room tip: the upper cabins look a little more modern
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank mommysunshine
Reviewed 24 March 2017

Be sure you know what you are getting into before booking the SLR. We loved it for two nights in March 2017 but it certainly isn’t for everybody. Located in the beautiful rolling hills of the Saguaro Lake area, the SLR offers a fairly rustic experience. Our cabin did not have a tv, a fridge or a coffeemaker. But it did have a great view, a comfy bed and a clean bathroom with modern shower – all supported by a very friendly and helpful staff. They offer a great brekkie in the morning from 8am to 9am (the coffee is on by 7am). We were also fortunate to be there for a Sunday night cookout where, for an extra price, we had wonderful bar-b-qued steak and chicken. The nearest restaurant is at the marina a mile or so down the road but we found a small retirement town to the northwest that had a pizza pub and a large grocery story that more than met our needs. The pool is very small. The grounds are fantastic – especially the cactus garden down by the Salt River. It also is only about a 30 minute drive from the Goldfield Ghost town which we just loved. And the drive thru the hills to Tortilla Flats is beautiful. As long as you are looking for rustic, you will love the SLR and its great staff. For modern, go somewhere else.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank ralu25
Reviewed 20 March 2017

I stumbled onto a treasure when I booked here. The people are some of the most friendly that I have ever experienced anywhere in my 60 years of traveling. I would return here over and over. The scenery is breathtaking. The people are top Notch. The breakfast was fabulous. The place has the old world charm of an old John Wayne movie. No dazzle - just good folks - wonderful food - clean cabins and an overall fabulous experience. I run a lodge in Canada so I look behind beds and in corners - my sweet little cabin was spotless. The beds were very comfortable, the prices reasonable, the breakfast was excellent with many choices of healthy foods. I love this place so much. The couple who run it are so invested in it being a great and unique experience. Their love of the place permeates every clean, friendly corner. I only wish that I lived closer so I could return many times a year with all of my fun friends.

Room tip: If internet connection is an issue you will need to get a cabin close to the main lodge.
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank homesafe60
Reviewed 10 March 2017 via mobile

Nice clean units , the staff are very nice .
This place is off the beaten path , quiet and comfy .
The view of rock out cropping is truly spectacular.
No tv as far as I could see , which is nice .
The lodge has lots of books !!!

2  Thank tomdO892RY
Reviewed 26 February 2017

Fabulous cosy place to stay, with the feel of the Old West (okay I'm English, so everything delighted me). I particularly love the skunk running around the porch, but others might not be so keen!

It's a great place for a walk down to the river at dawn, I also got a great welcome and "dinner" in front of a fire of an apple I had with me and home made cookies left in the room.

The kitchen here is great, but I believe it just does breakfast (or did when I was there) although they were doing a prearranged family dinner on my second night and invited me to join too (I'm glad I declined because I didn't get back until late). Oh and bag lunches - great for a long road trip.

The room was cosy and comfortable but I did have problems getting hot water out of the shower and it would be nice to have a kettle or coffee maker in the room (I was desperate by the time they put out the coffee in the breakfast room).

The pool was also one of the best I had on my trip - including the Bellagio in Vegas, although there was a lot of grass and other ranch debris blown in.

Date of stay: April 2016