“Health issues”
Review of Magic Stone

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Banos
Magic Stone
Ranked #9 of 59 Banos B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 August 2017

This property is presently listed on airbnb. It recommended by a friend who knows the owners. I debated whether to write this review, as the owners appear to be nice people, but I decided that I should so others do not have the same problems that I did. I had reserved for 4 nights, but stayed only one. It was exceptionally cold when I was there and the room was very dark and smelled of mold and/or mildew by the window next to the bed. This triggered an asthma attack, requiring me to use my emergency inhaler twice in less than 24 hours. I generally use it less than 10 times a year. I was so cold I could barely move. I realized it would not be good for my health to stay another night, so I explained the situation to the owners and told them that I would have to leave. The wife took it badly, saying that they had never before had a problem. She seemed more concerned about lost business than my health. She asked for payment for 3 nights, which I reluctantly gave her. Had I known about these problems beforehand I never would have booked here. I know they cannot control the weather, but I have to say that the place I moved to was cold, but still comfortable and airy, and I was able to breathe freely.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
magicstone, Ejer at Magic Stone, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2017

We will first write that we naturally think it was sad that you got an asthma attack, but that's not something we can do anything about. The fact that there should be 'mildew' at the window can not be understood as cleaned every time guests leave magic stone! One can think of it when you read such a revue from you!
So it must be the 97% other guests who have failed in the last 7 years?
It is true that it was unusually cold in Baños when you were here, but we don't have influence on the weather, but in the room there are two duvets in addition to a pair of extra blankets and two extra pillows, so you do not have to To be a 'viking' to live at Magic Stone.
You write that it was dark in the room - I understand that you closed yourself behind rolled blinds and hermetically close windows - from you came to your departure, and that does not really make the indoor climate better!

And about the payment : You got a very special price as 15$ per night as you were send by a friend of ours and because you made a reservation for 4 nights. I asked you to tell us if you want to leave already after the first night while you were having your breakfast when you told us that you didn't feel good, and you said no, I will not leave today for sure. I gave you towels for the hot spring as you wanted to go there. When it was 2pm. you were still in the room ( check out time is 11am )and as I passed by you told me that you had decided to leave in half an hour.
2.30 PM. you asked me to call a taxi and I charged you for 50$ ( normal price for a singleperson for 2 nights ) so you got your breakfast ( you told me was delicious ) for free. ( 1 coffee pot , milk, 2 crepes with homemade marmelade ).

But unfortunately, it's sad that you got the experience here at Magic Stone, but fortunately, as written before, we have had 97% satisfied guests for the last 7 years and have won the best B & B award for five years .... it Tell us something about the standard here and maybe something about you as a person!

Reviewed 11 December 2016

First, the owners are wonderful first class people, and made me feel very welcome at their guest house. The B and B is located an easy and safe 8 minute walk from "El Central" Banos. The guest room I had was a full private bath with comfortable bed, and a desk for working. The views from the window and outside were wonderful. FOr a small fee, they will prepare a delicious breakfast, select from a menu. Ove and Aase (Owners) were very helpful, and the place is also exceptionally clean. I highly recommend ths place.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 September 2016

You are staying in a room behind the hosts home. It is quiet and peaceful, and there is a view of the mountains when you step out of the room. They provide towels and soap. Showers were warm. You can flush toilet paper which is an exception in some places.
Aase and Ove and wonderful kind people, who invite you into their home for breakfast, which is around $10 if you have coffee, eggs, crepes, and a bread.
They didn't have guests the next day, so we were able to come back to the room and shower after our day in Banos, before leaving for the airport. They then brought coffee and the best cookies to our room also.
Rates are $20 a person, so $40 for two. Hostals in the area are $20 for a private room, but you don't get the hosts kindness. It was nice meeting you Ove and Aase!

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 July 2016

Magic Stone is in a great location, right on the edge of all the action. You get to enjoy a quiet nights sleep, while being only a 5-minute walk to the restaurants and nightlife. You are only a 2-minute walk to the taffy shops.

The room was clean, comfortable, had wifi and hot, hot water. As a bonus, the owners Ove & Aase, offer a delicious organic breakfast. I highly recommend trying the Danish bread.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 June 2016

I would highly recommend this place. The room is cozy and homey - - located in a separate building from their place so it feels like you're in your own little home. The room was VERY clean with all amenities you would need. Location is great - - tucked away in a quiet street but a very short walk to the center of the town. Best part was Ova and Ase - they were so friendly and helpful - more than willing to help with tips etc. Stay here if you want a quiet nice place for a good value.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Red room, It's nice to have the second bed up in the loft - gives a little more...