“Probably a fine place but my stay had it's share of problems”

Comfort Inn I-10 West at 51st Ave
Ranked #97 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed 27 March 2012

I really want to rate this hotel well as I think it has potential of being above average, however I am being generous at rating it average solely based on the experiences I had during my stay. After a long day getting there, I arrived late in the evening only to be told there was not a room available for me. The lady behind the counter was very apologetic (which I appreciated) and stated a large group of people had not checked out that day as scheduled and consequently they did not have a room available for me. She noted that I was a Choice Priviledge member and said they made arrangements to put me up next door for the night. She said they would comp my room for that night and that the rest of my 6 night stay would indeed be back here where I originally booked. I was exhausted and not knowing the condition of the establishment next door, I agreed. Without writing more of a novel than I already am, let me just say the place next door was unacceptable. It was a complete dump, filthy and disgusting. I was NOT happy. If I had wanted to stay in a dump, I would have booked a room there. They could have at least put me in a comparable quality establishment, of which there were several in the area. The next day I was indeed given a room here for the remainder of my stay. Upon entering my assigned room, it initially appeared fine and of the quality I had expected. However after setting my laptop up on the desk and was preparing to sit down and do some work, I discovered there was no desk chair. I called down to inquire and was tld someone would bring me a chair. A short time later, a young man did indeed show up with a brand new chair he stated he just assembled for me. Ok, that was impressive. Problem solved. The next morning, when I opened the closet to get the iron, I discovered the ironing board was missing. Once again, I called down and was promptly delivered an ironing board. Ok so kudos for problem solving. I also discovered there were no hand towels or wash cloths in the bathroom. Ok so now I'm wondering if this had been a room they were just using to rob Peter to pay Paul with items they needed for other guests. I might also just mention, in case they are reading this review, please invest the additional $0.15 a roll for something other than bargain brand toilet paper. The shower pressure was anemic and the temperature was very hard to control. Other than these complaints, the room was fine, very clean and the beds were moderately comfortable. Oh speaking of clean, upon arrival back to my room on the second night at 5:15pm, I discovered my room had not been cleaned yet. "Really"? After calling housekeeping, I was advised the cleaning staff was still working on my floor and would be there momentarily. Apparantly not an expeditious crew. Fortunately, I was leaving again to go out for dinner, so it worked out. This happenned once again on the last night of my stay and finally at 5pm I stepped out into the hallway and advised the cleaning staff (who coincidentally was just standing in the hallway chatting) that I would not need my room cleaned tonight at this late in the day as I was not going to leave while they did their work. The breakfast selections were plentiful however the eggs were unedible, rubbery and with a slight chemical taste. The ice machines on 2 of the 3 floors were out of order. One vending machine ate my money. The cigarette receptacles outside had not been emptied during my entire stay and wer overflowing. The coffee pot in my room was not used for two of the days during my stay as no cream/sugar packets had been left during the cleaning process. I could easily rate this hotel much lower based on my experiences during my stay, however my gut tells me there is potential here for an above average establishment. The staff was always very friendly and most of my problems were dealt with swiftly. I will chalk off my issues to the exception and hopefully not the rule with this place.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Pickyonejustme
There are newer reviews for Comfort Inn I-10 West at 51st Ave

Reviewed 21 March 2012

Me and my family recently stayed at this hotel for about 3-4 days. Not the best of stays. Maybe it was due to the fact that the entire place was full during our entire stay. After the first night, our room keys had been deactivated because the front desk had us down for one night, although our reservation (which was made months in advance) clearly said 5 nights. This was corrected quickly. However, my room was never cleaned other than towels being changed out. The one time the room was "cleaned", housekeeping only made up one bed in our two queen bedroom. The trash was never emptied, and the tables/desk stayed dirty with empty water bottles and napkins because the trash cans were overflowing.

They do have free breakfast in the morning. This stayed busy from the time it opened until after it was closed. This wouldn't have been so bad unless you were lucky enough to be stuck in a line of people trying to check-out, check-in, or complain about THEIR rooms not being cleaned to the ONE person at the front desk who had to handle all of this on top of answering phones.

My dad was basically accused of lying about staying in a room that he had been in for two days when his room key did not work for the SECOND time during his stay. The front desk clerk actually told my dad he wasn't in that room, and that it was "Mr. Johnson's" room. The clerk then proceeded to walk my dad to his room to prove him wrong. After knocking on my parents door while my parents stood in the hall and watched, he quickly saw that he was wrong and well... how would YOU feel in that situation.

Long story short, maybe we came on a busy week, but that doesn't mean a business should cut corners on service. If anything they should be stepping it up or letting their guests know whats going on so that we're not wondering why such a nice place is handing out crappy service. Decent rates, but get it together at the front desk and train your housekeeping staff to actually clean the rooms. Never stayed at a hotel where I had to request someone to clean my room every day I was there.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Chee26
Reviewed 18 March 2012

Would say that at 62$ a night, it was a good choice. Since it's close to a truck stop and the highway, it's a bit noisy but with earplugs, I didn't have any troubles sleeping. Good breakfast and overall great location for someone attending spring training games. Every stadium is about 20-30 minutes from this hotel while I know there are one or two closer. Not the cleanest place I've stayed but bed was comfortable. Stayed for 5 nights and would return for sure.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 March 2012

Very clean. Hotel seems new. The staff at the front desk is very, very friendly. The room was clean and the king bed was sooooo comfortable. It's close to where the Brewers play, so that is a plus. I loved that the maids weren't banging down our door at 8 a.m to clean the room. The breakfast was also great. It's located right off of I17 and I10. I will be staying here again.

Room Tip: Room 202 on the second floor is where we stayed. It was quite and tucked away in a corner.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank erin h
Reviewed 2 March 2012

Room was very nice and comfortable. Breakfast was good, they were a little slow replenishiing the food, but there was a nice selection and all was fresh!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends