“No Pike Place Market but still a welcome sight in downtown Phoenix”

Phoenix Public Market
Ranked #82 of 238 things to do in Phoenix
Reviewed 28 August 2017

I've been to Phoenix many, many times over the years but always for work. There was always a data center to visit or a service team or a group of programmers. In fact, the last time I was here strictly for pleasure was a childhood trip that my dad made us take in the Rambler station wagon. Our usual custom was to stay at a Rodeway Inn with a slide next to the pool, and I probably complained about the dry heat in a constant whine voice that drove my parents nuts. Now the dry heat doesn't bother me as much, and I decided to stay an extra day, Saturday, to see what I have been missing in Phoenix all these years. Someone at work suggested I stop here in the morning since it was fairly close to the part of downtown I was staying.

Early for a change, I found myself walking around the open-air market as people were setting up their tables and tents. Fresh produce was plentiful but so was plenty of other food from homemade tamales at The Tamale Store to freshly baked loaves of bread from Jerusalem Bakery. Fully ripened tomatoes appeared to be a favorite item here, and Abby Lee Farms had immaculately arranged basketfuls to sell. There were also non-edible goods like flowers, beeswax and wooden toddler toys. For a city as large as Phoenix, I was surprised the market didn't have a more permanent presence like Seattle's Pike Place Market, but it appeared to be inching toward that platinum standard.

1  Thank Ed_Uyeshima
in 2 reviews
"fun"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed 20 August 2017 via mobile

Arrived at 11am & I must admit there was not much to see. We are so used to European markets so this was a real let down re produce but it's still nice to see local producers displaying their wares. Get there early & maybe there is something to see and buy.

Reviewed 1 May 2017 via mobile

Will put you in a state of bliss. Go here. Great people watching and everything we ate was amazing and obviously scratch made.

Reviewed 5 November 2016

Wandered up to the PPM while staying at the nearby Westin about 8am Sunday. Walked amongst several good food trucks, wide variety of food stalls and some craft stalls. Mostly locally sourced (I'm a professional produce buyer, some of the "local produce" was not from AZ) and good quality. Fairly priced, not cheap.
These vagabond vendors set up to the west of the Café building which is very nice, and has normal hours of operation 7 days a week.
The combination of the very good café and occasional vendor stalls is well worth your time.

1  Thank TahitiJim