We stay at the Pointe as a family at least once a year during the summer when they have the $99.00 summer fun rate. We only live a mile from the property but our kids love the water park, and we love the suite sized rooms (400SF) with seperate bedroom and living area.
You cannot beat the location if considering staying in the Phoenix area. This is close to downtown (5mi), Scottsdale Fashion Square (5mi), Biltmore Fashion Plaza (3mi), great hiking (Squaw Peak - 1mi, Camelback mountain - 2mi), and freeway (1mi).
Seems there has been some remodelling in the rooms since our last stay, as rough texture on walls has been smoothed out (popcorn ceilings still present though). Also added shade coverings on the balconies, which really helps with the intense afternoon sun.
We always stay in Pointe South (this is a big property with suites and cabanas, Pointe South is where the main lobby is, there is also Pointe North with a seperate pool) in a non-smoking suite, next to the pool, room 2362. This is a king bedroom, with queen sofa bed. We were really pleased with the room, as normally always get 2 queen beds (rooms are a little bigger). Room on the East side (less intense afternoon sun).
Furnishings look new, and very comfortable. TVs both worked, and bed was very comfortable with nice soft sheets and pillows. My wife is allergic to down/feathers, and was no problem having comforter and pillows changed.
We also checked in at 12pm (4pm normal checkin) and checked out at 1pm 2 days later, with no questions or hassles or extra fees.
We spent a lot of time at the lazy river and water slide. My wife preferred to hang out in the room, and relax. We did not check out the gym, although usage was included in package. There is an 18hole mini-golf which I played with my daughter. Also 4 tennis courts (no idea of pricing).
Internet access is $12.00/day (in-room) but have free wi-fi in the lobby (which seemed to work in the patio area that liked to sit in.
We ate at the "Hole in the Wall", mainly burgers, steaks and chicken. Sat on the patio first night, and was disappointed with number of flies. Food was okay (kids eat free a good deal), service was a bit slow, I seem to remember the same problem the previous year. This was a holiday weekend, but restaurant did not appear overly crowded, and not sure why it took 20 minutes from placing order to getting burger and fries. Made use of the buffet ($6.00/kids under 12) at lunch.
Never ate at the Lantana grill, bit outside our price range. There are a number of good restaurants within 2 miles.
- Golden Dragon - very good Chinese, Northern/12th St (1mi)
- TexAZ grill - excellent BBQ, 16th St/Bethany Home (2mi).
- Sauce - modern Italian eatery - pizza/salad, Glendale/7th St
- PeiWei - Asian food (PF Chang subsidiary), Glendale/7th St
- Moto - Japanese, Glendale 16th St.
- Aunt Chilada's - Mexican, soft chips (opposite hotel)
- Carlos Obrians - popular Mexican food 12th St/Northern
- Paradise Bakery - 12th St/Glendale (good bread, sandwiches)
- MacDonalds - 16th St/Glendale (0.5mi)
- Subway - 16th St/Glendale (0.5mi)
- NY Pizza - 12th St/Northern (0.5mi)
- Stumpey's Pizza - 12th St/Glendale (deliver)
- Papa Johns - 16th St/Glendale (deliver)
- Pizza Hut - 16th St/Bethany Home (deliver)
- Starbucks - 16th St/Bethany Home
- Bashas - 16th St/Glendale
- Safeways - 7th St/Glendale
There were a lot of people at the property but never felt too crowded, and swimming pools were kept very clean. I was a little suprised at how relaxed everyone was with the rules (lazy river and water slide). Maybe it is the end of the season, but in previous years were very strict on height for water slide and making sure used a tube on the lazy river.
Hiking at Squaw Peak, 2mi to parking, 1.25mi 1000ft climb. Very popular hike, good parking. Get there early on weekends.
Can also hike at Dreamy Draw Park which is on the North side of Squaw Peak, lots of trails, and easy 1mi drive from hotel.
Camelback mountain, 3mi to parking. 1.25mi 1200ft climb. Two routes, East and West. Recommend West route, but limited parking at Echo Canyon, more parking 0.6mi away. Get there early on weekends.
North Mountain. More gentle, can even take the paved road to the
top. 7th St/Peoria, near Pointe Tapiteo (2mi).
Cons: I got home and checked my bank account, and see a $360.00 deduction pending from my account from Hilton hotels (Hilton manage the Pointe hotels - there are three Pointe South Mountain, Pointe Tapiteo, and Pointe Squaw Peak). I knew my bill was only $283.00. I call and am politely told they put a hold on the hotel rate plus $50.00/day for incidentals, and should be credited back within 72hours of departure. Okay, how about informing me they plan to do this. Not experienced this before, and am a little upset this was not presented at checkin.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled into the slopes of the Phoenix North Mountains with a Spanish-Mediterranean design, the Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak Resort offers one of the most unique Southwestern experiences in the country. Located on 27 acres, the property is bordered by 3,000 acres of scenic Sonoran desert in the adjacent mountain preserve and features 563 all-suite accommodations, including nearly 80 large casitas. The Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak Resort, known for its family-friendly experience, offers several outdoor activities and features the River Ranch with four acres of shimmering pools, cascading waterfalls, tennis and basketball courts and the Coyote Camp, the resort's lively kids' center. Additional highlights include unique dining experiences at Rico's American Grill and Hole-in-the-Wall, and luxurious services at its fitness centre and Tocasierra Spa and Salon. The Resort is also proud to announce the completion of - Rejuvenated Meeting Space and the New Agave Suites at North Pointe. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Agoda, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak Hotel Phoenix
- Hilton Hotel Phoenix
- Hilton Phoenix
- Squaw Peak Resort
- Phoenix Hilton
- Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak Resort Phoenix, Arizona