“Not Again!”

Comfort Suites Old Town
Ranked #57 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed 16 May 2017

We stayed here for a week recently while visiting relatives, choosing a Comfort Inn as we're Choice members. What a disappointment! The location was great for walking around the Old Town / downtown area, and the bed was great. We liked the suite set-up with a half wall separating a lounge area from the bedroom, and the breakfast was okay as these things go. BUT...there were too many negatives for us to stay here again. First & foremost, we had the misfortune to be there during a motorcycle rally, so had to contend with bikers revving their engines throughout the day & some playing loud music from their bikes while milling around the parking lot. The staff did nothing until pressed to address it. They seemed more concerned about keeping the bikers happy than the comfort of the other guests. Second, the room furnishings made no sense. There were only 2 small dresser drawers, and a unit in the lounge area where a sink & small refrigerator used to be. Odd, inconvenient design. Third, housekeeping was inconsistent with not all areas cleaned and forgetting to do us one day. Fourth, the outside whirlpool was filthy with tons of grit on the bottom - and Fifth, every time the TVs are turned out it brings up FOX news. Excuse me, but more than 50% of people find FOX offensive & highly partisan. Are you trying to advertise that you cater to Republicans? Most motels we frequent have something neutral like a weather, travel or decorating station. In sum, Scottsdale has so many other choices that we'll find something else next time.

Room Tip: Stay away from the parking lot side due to noise, and don't expect much overall.
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
Dorothy K, General Manager at Comfort Suites Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2017

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I am so sorry that your trip was interrupted by Bike Week. This is an annual event and we do ask our guests to be considerate of the other guests' privacy and peace. Bike Week is an annual event for us. You can expect Bike Week to be around the same time, which could help with your scheduling the next time you visit.

In regard to Fox news, we received several complaints of this and reached out to our cable company to get it changed. I am happy to say that we were finally able to get assistance in changing this landing page.

We do hope that you will give us another chance to serve you should your travels bring you back to Scottsdale.

Reviewed 7 May 2017

Friendly and helpful front desk. Since the computer in the lobby was down, the lady at the front desked checked us in at airline fast and correctly (as I know now), which was (overseas flight) extremely important to us.
Very quiet location.
We had a King suite, not as spacious as expected, but OK. At daylight the room appeared dark and design and furniture outdated, slightly cramped. At nighttime with all lights on (I have to say the room had the best lighting we had during our 3-weeks trip to the US) it was actually comfy.
Overall we liked the room. Housekeeping did an extraordinary job. Room and bathroom were meticulousely clean. During our trip the only bathroom with more than enough towels. Thumbs up.
We did not eat breakfast, just peeked into the breakfast room. Appears to be standard, and enough tables.
Indoor pool (or at least we only saw an indoor pool).
We were very satisfied with the reasonable rate (given location), the value received and the quiet location. I would consider staying there again.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
kaimccormick, Front Office Manager at Comfort Suites Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2017

Thank you so much for taking the time to do a review of your stay here at our property. We are so happy that you were pleased with your accommodations! We are working on upgrading our entire internet system, which will help with the lobby computer and make the internet in the guest rooms so much better. We do apologize that you had issues, but we are pleased to know that our staff was able to help. We do hope to see you again should your travels bring you back to the states!

Reviewed 23 March 2017

This review is challenging.
The Bed was GREAT. Breakfast every morning was good, fresh and did the job (it's not a restaurant, it was all we needed), Staff WAS FABULOUS, Location was GREAT (walking distance to stadium and old town restaurants) and price was very reasonable during spring training.

HOWEVER, upon opening the door after check-in, it looked like the room had not been vacuumed. The floor was kind of messy. It was obvious when they vacuumed the second day. We were told the room had new furniture (I'm a corporate travel manager and could confirm it looked like the new designs) but the rest of the room was old, old, worn, icky. Behind the bed-stands in plain view were crumbs. Ick!!! The bath tub was a disaster - all scratched and stained! The bathroom furniture/counters were new. The walls throughout were a mess. The bathroom door and trim had scratches and stains (just use a rag and wipe it down ladies! Sheesh). On the side of caution - they are under renovation construction, I "think" the bathroom maybe was prepped/sanded for painting (I'm an optimist) and the tub sanded for resurfacing??? maybe, but a note to guests stating such would have been nice. Anyone else would have been scared to death of that bathroom.
Our room key would only work once. If we left and returned (to get coffee, etc.) it wouldn't work. Up and down we went. We had to have our keys reprogrammed at least 3 times a day - every day. Very Very annoying. The poor front desk lady was a peach and apologized profusely, but come on...... I can't not mention this annoyance to travelers. Ridiculous.

Would I stay there again? I'm not sure. I saw a Holiday Inn Express next door. I'm sure they wouldn't allow their bathrooms to be in such HORRIBLE shape.

Oh - our room door was right across from the elevator and I was really very worried about that. NOTE, I NEVER ONCE heard the elevator or people. Room was very quiet and peaceful. No problems sleeping.

But again, I was there to sleep, not hang out and the BED WAS GREAT! AC unit was quiet enough. This iffy hotel stay did not affect our 'bucket list' Spring Training Trip, which turned out to be INCREDIBLE! Go Giants!!!!!

Room Tip: Be patient during renovation/construction. I only smelled fresh paint once, but wish they had paint...
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank laragon_99
Dorothy K, General Manager at Comfort Suites Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2017

Thank you for sharing this valuable feedback with us. I am glad you found the staff friendly and helpful. We have completed some of our renovation and are actively engaged in more improvements to the property. I have shared your detailed comments with our housekeeping and maintenance teams so that we can correct these issues for our future guests. We appreciate your business and are glad you chose us to host you for your Spring Training trip.

Reviewed 21 March 2017 via mobile

If you are looking for a hotel in this area, stay at the Holiday Inn Express that is next door. We stayed here 5 nights and enjoyed the location. However, that was the only positive.
Our comforter had blood stains on it. One day the housekeeping staff took the dirty bath towels but didn't leave any clean ones. Part of the Formica was falling off and even the electrical tape wasn't keeping the piece in place. When we went into the lobby one morning, there were stacked of boxes with hotel supplies - but there wasn't anyone putting them away. When we checked out, we noticed that they charged us for a room safe that we didn't even know about. When we questioned the staff we were told that the charge is automatic and not removed unless requested - and this was not disclosed when we registered.
There are better places to stay at comparable prices.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
Dorothy K, General Manager at Comfort Suites Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2017

I'm sorry you were not completely satisfied with your stay. I have shared your feedback with our housekeeping team to make sure our standards of cleanliness are consistently observed for all guest rooms. I also noted that your safe fees were reversed upon your request with a credit issued back to your card. I hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you in the future.

Reviewed 18 March 2017

The room had a chemical order that could only be corrected by opening the window. As a result of interviewing the desk clerk about this, it turns out that my room was on the first floor wherein the carpeting in all first floor rooms was recently changed out. Apparently, the first floor rooms are the pet friendly rooms. When I have changed out my carpeting at home, my home has a new home order (which is pleasant) for a few weeks. Unfortunately, Choice buys very low-grade carpeting that emits a chemical order. Folks, this is seriously bad planning! Next time don't go cheap and get better carpeting. Further, I stay at the Comfort Inn in Ukiah, CA regularly and take my dog. There first floor rooms have real tile. Now that is good planning. So, why doesn't your company apply techniques like that uniformly?

Also, the remote control needed new batteries. I did not realize this until late in the evening. I just used the manual controls on the TV to change the channel. The batteries on the remotes in each room should be changed out on a regular basis. I would say that there is a disconnect here between management and cleaning staff on matters like this.

Also, there was a hole in the wall in the reception area. What’s up with that?

In any event, Comfort Inn really can do better. Please try harder.

Room Tip: Unless you have a pet, do not stay on the first floor!
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
Dorothy K, General Manager at Comfort Suites Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2017

I apologize that you were not completely satisfied during your stay with us. Our carpets were recently replaced during our renovation. The "new" carpet smell is due in part to the treatment commercial carpets receive to reduce risk of fire. This will fade with time. Unfortunately, we had a flood recently in a guest room above our lobby and are still in the process of repairing the damage, which includes the covered hole you noticed in the lobby. We expect to have the repairs completed by the end of next week. I apologize for any inconvenience you experienced during your stay. We are working diligently to improve the property and make our guests comfortable when they visit us.