“Front for a timeshare pitch”

Sedona Motion Picture Museum
Ranked #147 of 158 things to do in Sedona
Reviewed 18 April 2013 via mobile

Ragged little one room museum with a few pictures on a wall and an old movie running. We were offered a first class ride in the Verde Valley train for $25. No mention of a timeshare presentation. We were offered the same thing for free by another timeshare (who was at least upfront and honest about it). Not worth your time. Just keep walking.

8  Thank sbnixie

Reviewed 10 April 2013

As mentioned numerous times in other reviews, this is a front for "timeshare" type "deals". The pictures and information on the walls are from authentic Sedona or AZ based films but the people inside are just trying to sell you something.

6  Thank MD Sr
Reviewed 15 December 2012

Not a museum, but a trap used to pitch timeshares to unsuspecting tourists.

The storefront to the "museum" looks authentic, but inside is only a small room with weathered photos on the walls of films shot in the area over the past half-century. The woman who beckoned us come in -- "would you like to visit our free movie museum?" -- knew next to nothing about the movies, and handed me a list of films shot in the area. Many of the film titles on the list were spelled incorrectly, or had incorrect release years. The header of the list stated it was "compliments of Sedona Pines Resort."

As we looked around the room the woman offered us a "free" helicopter ride over the area in exchange for listening to a 30-minute presentation about timeshares -- even though we had our five-month-old baby with us. Because helicopter rides and 30-minute timeshare presentations are two activities parents love to do with their newborns.

We politely declined, but, like out of bad a sitcom, the desperate pitch continued oblivious to our disinterest. The whole time another woman was sitting silently across the room, playing on her phone, looking dejected. I felt bad for the woman giving the presentation, though. She was friendly, and her awkward attempts to segue from amiable dialogue to tired sales spiel betrayed a sad awareness of the emptiness of her occupation. As we left she bid us a "blessed day," which only added to the palpable sense of internal struggle.

In short: if you find yourself walking along the 89A in Uptown Sedona, skip this "attraction."

10  Thank APN203
Reviewed 14 November 2012 via mobile

$20 for a class on selling me a time share, a free night in Sedona. Or as I thought. They took my credit card numbers and told me nothing to be charged if I attend a class with my girlfriend the next day, well they took my $20 and also charged my $170 for the room. I tried to dispute the charge but ended losing $190 and a whole day. Two words, organized crime.

7  Thank KelMock
See more reviews
Reviewed 31 December 2011

Before Sedona became a sickening commercial mecca of tourist junk shops, oppressive rules, Barney Fife policing of the population, and controlled roadways that put 50% of businesses OUT of business, Sedona was an awesome place. The Motion Picture Museum has been there for a very long time and takes people who never knew how wild and beautiful Sedona was, back into time, Many old westerns were filmed in Old Sedona. The stark contrast between then and now comes to light at the museum. One can't but long for the 'good old days' when men were men and women were like Sedona Schnebly.

2  Thank WorldSprinter18