“Beware of the stairs”

Hyatt Residence Club Sedona, Pinon Pointe
Ranked #14 of 49 Hotels in Sedona
Reviewed 3 November 2009

Unfortunately, the resort does not advertise that most of the suites are accessible only by way of stairs. 'Bystairs' I mean that I had 30 stairs going down and 30 stairs going up (not the same sets) to reach my room. They did not inform me at the front desk that there was someone to help with the luggage. I found out the hard way, when I nearly passed out looking at the top of 60+ stairs from the parking lot. Stairs are such an issue that the front desk has a list with the exact coune of the number of stairs to each suite. I was offered another place with only 50 stairs and possibly no view. Some consolatin. If you don't like stairs or don't want to be bothered with them on your trip, then this is NOT the place to stay. The suite itself, though, was gorgeous and very enjoyable.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank TravelwithSpirit

Reviewed 30 October 2009

My husband and I stayed for 6 days at the Hyatt in a one bedroom condo and appreciated and loved every second.
The staff was friendly, helpful, courteous, and went out of their way to make our stay comfortable. Our new unit was lovely, though I think the lighting could have been better, and our view was spectacular. We enjoyed a leisurely breakfast every morning on the patio, just talking, reading the newspaper, and savoring that wonderful view. The view was so great that even though my husband had a bit of difficulty navigating about 36 steps to get to and from our unit, he did not want to try to switch to a different location. The staff was willing most graciously to make the switch if that would make our stay easier.
We did attend the timeshare presentation and would gladly have purchased an available unit under different circumstances. Our presenter, Kevin B., did an outstanding job of presenting the facts in a professional, knowledgeable, and non-pushy way. He was terrific.
The Hyatt is superb and we would highly recommend it. We can't wait to return!!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sedona4
Reviewed 30 October 2009

We booked at this hotel as a last resort. We were attending a destination wedding and did not realize that accomodations would be limited 6 months prior to the event. We did not know that these are condo units built along a hillside. We checked in after dark and were told that a flashlight was available in each unit. That's when we realized that there is minimum light on the property. Stairs through out the property have very low level lighting every couple of steps. Lighting in the parking lot was minimal. My thoughts were "this place must be a mugger's paradise"! Negotiating the stairs was difficult for EVERYONE even with a flashlight. Returning late after the wedding a man suddenly appeared out of the dark. Fortunately it was a security guard who provided additional light and warned us to be careful. That advice and assistance came too late as far as we were concerned. This property is not what I expect when I stay at a Hyatt. property.

Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Meredithsgram
Reviewed 30 October 2009

Very overpriced for the service and accommodations we received.

We had two studio rooms for four of us. Both rooms were small. We had requested adjoining rooms as we all four had traveled from different parts of the country and wanted to spend time together but our rooms were in seperate buildings. The room I was in was ground level, very small with no view whatsoever. The room was very dark and the sliding door led to a patio enclosed with a wall. The room was noicy, you could actually hear the conversations of the guests in the next room. We had to carry our luggage down and then back up stairs to get to our rooms.

The only good thing about our stay at the Hyatt was the location. And the bathroom was very nice. Sedona itself is beautiful, just wish we had stayed elsewhere.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank travelers4523
Reviewed 27 October 2009

First off, spent lots of time reading reviews and ultimately decided on the Hyatt and was extremely happy with our stay. I will try my best to concisely list the pros and cons.

Pros
- LOCATION - in between west Sedona, Oak Creek, and uptown, walking distance to shops and restaurants, other resorts such as the Enchantment Resort are too far away from the town, also had Cold Stone, Starbucks, and a great deli/bakery on site

- PRICE - paid $250-$300/nt for a rather large 2 bdr unit in Phase II (new furniture, beds, TV's etc.)

- AMENITIES - for a family such as my group great for the little ones as they had a nice pool with a 1ft end section designed for toddlers, small playground area, free kids DVD's (can't tell you how many times we ended up watching Monsters Inc.), shops, weight room, jacuzzi, fire pit, BBQ area, etc.

Cons (not many but I'll be picky to list what I can)
- TIMESHARES - by that I mean that the ideal veiw units specifically in Phase II end up going to timeshare owners, can't really complain about that since they paid to be a part of their club

- WEIGHT ROOM/POOL HOURS: activity center closed at 10p, everything in Sedona closed early BTW, wished it stayed open a bit longer as we'd have more time to play after our kids went down

- FURNITURE/DECOR: some may like southwestern decor but to be honest it was a bit plain with rather cheap looking art work on the walls but I think it keeps well with its theme, overall not as bad as I'm making it sound

- STUDIO ROOM LAY OUT: we rented a 2 bdr and the studio room is long and narrow with a somewhat unusual layout which makes it seem crowded especially if you use the sofa bed as we did for our 3 year old son

All in all it is a very nice resort which was perfect for our family as it gave us a chance to cook and entertain our small kids in the uints as well with their amenities. It impressed us so much that my father is looking into resales to be part of their vacation club.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family