“Exceptional Bar Service”

Thirsty Lion Gastropub & Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Thirsty Lion Gastropub & Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #26 of 815 Restaurants in Tempe
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: McClintock
Transit: Metro services the Tempe Marketplace Mall.
Reviewed 13 February 2018 via mobile

They make you feel important, they are glad to see you. One of only 2 bars out of a hundred I’ve been to where the bartender introduced himself, shook my hand and promptly brought out a glass of ice water within 30 seconds of my arrival. 95% of the places like this can learn a lesson from him.
Fish and chips was fine, beer selection strong. I’d go again.

Reviewed 27 January 2018

We were seated right away on a busy Saturday afternoon. Service and food was very good. Would go there again next time we are in the area.

Reviewed 27 January 2018

It calls itself a Pub and it truly fits the term. This is a great place to hangout with the guys or gals, hang an expressive time, not feeled cowtowed by slience ambiance, and enjoy a Scottish deviled egg or two. Great drinks, great food, fun atmosphere. Place to let loose as you hang out with your crowd or buddy, without the collegiate atmosphere that resides so close byas ASU so nearby. Let the hair down and dont fret it.

Reviewed 14 January 2018 via mobile

Loved the Gastropub burger I had last night. So much bacon! Thick cut and you could taste the maple flavor very strongly. Delicious! We also tried the fish and chips and they were amazing. Three large fillets, crispy and not all batter like some places, a heap of French fries, and a small serving of house coleslaw. Even the slaw is on point. It had red bell peppers and cilantro coupled with a light creamy dressing. Very unusual and yummy.

The Thirsty Lion loses a star for the uncomfortable atmosphere inside. Tables are mostly high tops with stools and very uncomfortable. We asked to be moved to a lower table and they graciously accommodated us. But we could not enjoy our meal because the music, a mix of 80s hits, was too loud. We nearly had to shout at each other to be heard across the table. By the end of the evening, my throat was sore from yelling so much. Other pubs have much more comfortable settings.
Outside on the patio things were much calmer. There was a huge cement fire pit and lots of tables and chairs scattered around. I wish we had asked to be seated out there.

Prices are reasonable and service is good here. We might come back to try their cocktails and desserts but only on the patio.

Reviewed 31 December 2017 via mobile

My husband and I stopped in for a drink and appetizer after a movie. It doesn’t “look” like a pub, more of a sports bar ambiance, but the food and drink were delicious. We had a HUGE pretzel with 3 dipping sauces and the porter dessert. We will definitely be back!