“Good Moroccan food, nice venue”
Review of Moroccan Paradise

Moroccan Paradise
Ranked #284 of 823 Restaurants in Tempe
Reviewed 25 February 2017

Former Chicken & Waffles Rest. convenient to tram. Wife & I were promptly seated, and offered menus. Some tap brews were out, but server (very friendly) offered substitute IPA. Both meals were tasty, my lamb chops were just right medium rare. Wife had mixed grill and liked it. Skipped dessert, too full. Will return.

Reviewed 4 December 2016 via mobile

When I found this restaurant I was looking forward to having authentic Moroccan food in my backyard. I was in Morocco in September 2016, and had the most amazing food.

I took my wife and kids and promised them a feast. The restaurant is clean, well decorated, and located in a plaza with ample parking.

For an appetizer, we had a plate of combo salads. And, for the main course we had the beef tajine with prunes, and the chicken tajine with olives.

The appetizer gets 2.5 out of 5; it was average and one of the salads had a bitter taste. The main course was a big disappointment and I give it 1.5 out of 5 for the lack of authenticity and taste.

The chicken tajine, was nothing like what I had in Morocco. The chicken was fried and put on top of some broth with olives. The chicken was dry and had no flavor and clearly cooked a day before. It honestly looked and tasted like the fried whole-chicken you buy from a grocery store.

The beef tajine tasted a bit better and had some flavor. However, there were some hard chewy pieces. And it did not have toasted almonds cooked with it, like the authentic Moroccan dish.

Both tajines come with rice and we substituted it with Couscous. It was dry and clearly not freshly prepared.

Moroccan tajines are slowly cooked for hours in low heat - where the meat falls of the bone and melts in your mouth. Tajines are full of flavor and well seasoned with Moroccan spices.

I expressed my dissatisfaction to the owner and even showed him photos of the same dishes I had in Morocco. I think he agreed with me and was only able to offer excuses for not delivering.

Reviewed 24 July 2016

I went to this establishment for lunch, on a hot July afternoon. It took a few minutes for the server to appear and have us seated anywhere we liked, and a few minutes more for her to approach us and ask us for something we'd like to drink. After we placed our orders with her, the food took a while to appear, but when it did - it look delicious. The food was a watered-down version of the original dishes, but still quite flavorful. A bit overpriced for the hype and novelty vs. the actual quantity and taste. I recommend this place to anybody that likes a 'Moroccan Cuisine 101' introduction class without the risks associated with trying out something new/unknown in terms of flavor/hygiene/allergy.

Reviewed 17 July 2016

Had lunch here one Saturday afternoon. It's a large restaurant and was relatively empty while I was there. It was also a little warm. But I moved to a table under one of the ceiling fans, and things were better.

Lunch started out with zaalouk - a blend of smoked eggplant, tomatoes, garlic, and some light spices. It was excellent! I also had the poutine. I love my cholesterol as much as the next person, but this didn't do it for me. They may be better off topping off a bed of fries with ground lamb with Moroccan spices and feta, and under the broiler for a couple of minutes.

The main course was the chicken tagine. It was very good. The chicken was moist. The sauce was flavorful. A tad less salt next time, perhaps.

Dessert was excellent.

Reviewed 3 July 2016 via mobile

Love the flavors. I had the Chicken Tagine. We went for dinner but hear that the buffet is a big hit.
My husband had Beef w Prune Tagine. The rice and bread are equally delicious.
You should go!