Villas Alturas(Dominical)(Great Value!)
US$165
US$157
Villas Rio Mar(Dominical)(Great Value!)
US$74
MAVI Surf Hotel de Dominical(Dominical)(Great Value!)
US$120
Waterfall Villas(Dominical)(Great Value!)
US$140
US$120
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Cuna del Angel(Dominical)(Great Value!)
US$123
US$105
Hotels.com
Tropical Sands Dominical Eco Inn(Dominical)(Great Value!)
US$55
Hacienda Baru Lodge(Dominical)(Great Value!)
US$87
Roca Verde(Dominical)(Great Value!)
US$90
  • Breakfast included
Rio Lindo Resort(Dominical)(Great Value!)
US$65
Cool Vibes Beach Hostel(Dominical)(Great Value!)
US$32
  • Beachfront
All reviewsvideo analysisgreen waveslearn howwhite watercatching wavesplaya lindaother guestschef juanphotos and videoshomemade browniespilates instructorskill levelsome great photosgreat aspectfailed miserablyincredible mealscosta rica
Reviewed 8 July 2017

We had high expectations for Kalon and it lived up to them. The staff, facilities, and amenities at Kalon were nothing short of fantastic. Kalon is near the top of one of the mountains just north of Dominical, and has breathtaking views of the Pacific and surrounding areas. The hotel six rooms on the second floor, and the first floor has an open kitchen, dining area, and seating area - all are incredibly well-kept and maintained.

Our flight landed in San Jose Saturday morning and we met our transfer in one of the three white Land Cruisers for the ride to Kalon. When we arrived at Kalon, we were greeted with great food and a very welcoming staff. It was enjoyable to have Saturday to acclimate to the upcoming week and to chat with the other guests as they arrived.

Surfing started early on Sunday, and we met Andreas, Diego, and Junior, the surf instructors. We all developed bonds to the surf team - they were great teachers and very patient for a group of folks who, for the most part, hadn't surfed much if at all before! Surf time varied by day depending on the tide. Generally, we left Kalon 2 hours before high tide and surfed until 1.5 to 2 hours after high tide. The beaches were all within 15 minutes of Kalon, and most of the time is spent descending the mountain.

After surfing each day, we gathered around the TV for video analysis with Andreas, Diego, and Junior; they gave us informative tips for getting better the next day. All of the videos and photos (there are a lot) were uploaded to the web so we could review and download.

The massage package is worth the money.

Many in our group went from having never surfed before to having the confidence to paddle past the break and take on some green waves! From this perspective alone, Kalon was well worth it! We will be looking forward to returning at a future date (we hope soon)!

Room Tip: All rooms are great!
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Brett T
Reviewed 24 June 2017

I cannot tell you enough what a great time I had at Kalon. This was my first "luxury" trip and it met my expectations and then some. I really appreciated getting the luxury perks but without be over the top fluffy. It did not seem like a place that was stuck up or too fancy. It was very down to earth which is very important to me. Alone or with others - you will have a fantastic time no matter what.

THE TEAM - Everyone there seemed genuinely happy and nothing seemed forced or fake. I don't like feeling people are "waiting" on me so it was nice to get to everyone during the week and share the same spaces so then I was comfortable, grabbing food, helping clear some dishes and clean up a bit.

SURF: The guys were awesome and so much fun. I had a blast with them and learned a lot about how to surf - from on the board, to looking for waves, reading the ocean and good little tips. . All of the surf coaches were awesome. Andres was out sick during part of our time and Diego, Junior and Jonathan did a great job without him. They were all not only very knowledgeable and helpful - but also a lot of fun. It was easy to kick feel comfortable and joke around with them - which made the experience that much better. The video analysis and small student to coach ratio makes all the difference.

The FOOD. Oh my gosh. I have not eaten so well and so much in all my life. Everything I ate was phenomenal. Fresh, healthy and beautiful. The chef Juan is so nice, fun and also very creative with his cooking. I ate even when I wasn't hungry - did not want to miss eating a thing - and so glad I didn't. Please let me know when I can buy the cookbook!

Ana, Edelma (rooms and great breakfasts) , Alberto (my driver) and Andrea (pilates and massage) - also awesome!!

Kjeld & Silene - loved having the owners around. Great to meet, surf , and get to know everyone.

THE ROOMS AND HOUSE - The open house vibe made me feel at home very quickly once I got there. I loved how the kitchen and dining area were high next to each other - allowed for some great interaction with Juan while cooking. So great. The room was phenomenal- the views, the size, the shower, and the porch with the rocking chair was my favorite part. The property overall was amazing. I loved the garden and trail - let me see a little bit of the CR wilderness on my own while taking a hike.

Juan Carlos was very sweet and anything I asked for or had a question about he was always right on top of things. Very professional and nice. Zianny came later in the week and she was also wonderful.

OVERALL my favorite part was that being at Kalon was like feeling like a guest and a friend at the same time.

WOULD RECOMMEND THIS TO EVERYONE who wants to relax, learn how to surf and have the best quality vacation ever.

Room Tip: all rooms have same ocean view
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank mekatieunot
Reviewed 15 June 2017

My wife and I visited Kalon Surf in May 2017. Neither of us are "surfers." We just wanted a vacation that was both relaxing and had some physical excursion. Kalon delivered easily. The food was fantastic, the rooms were large and nicely appointed, and the staff was amazing. They anticipated our needs, were able to accommodate any of our special requests and did so with a smile. I was also surprised at how well they spoke English. The surfing was great too. The hotel has a great format to teach newbies like us to surf that mixes some pool training, beach training, and of course ocean training. At the end of the four days I can confidently say that we both felt like we could go and surf on our own (not as professionals mind you, but as slightly competent surfers).
As this trip was the first time we were leaving our 1 year old son, it was important that the hotel had reliable internet (which it does) and we were able to skype with our son 3 or 4 times a day. I would return here in a heartbeat. Though the price may seem high, it is definitely worth it and the all inclusiveness means that you don't have to constantly pay for different things. Everything really is included.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jefffeintech
Reviewed 1 June 2017 via mobile

My week at Kalon with my husband exceeded my expectations... I had read many reviews that said the same and my experience was no different. I love how quaint and well run this place is! I made lifelong friends with the small group I was fortunate to vacation with and had the time of my life! Learning to surf has been a dream of mine and their technique and surf locations could not have been better. The food WAY exceeded my expectations and I can't wait to go back!!!! Thank you Kalon for being the PERFECT vacation from start to finish!

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Amanda E
Reviewed 29 May 2017

I don't even know where to begin. It feels right to start with thank you. The Kalon Surf experience was beyond what I could have ever imagined.

From the moment I arrived (traveling as a single woman) to the moment I left, I was in love with Costa Rica and enchanted by the immersive Kalon experience. Your team is the magic behind the entire operation. The mansion is incredible but it is the people who defined my Kalon Surf experience.

Teamwork. I loved watching everyone at Kalon work together. Not only with guests but with each other. Everyone on the team is a master of their specialties in an inspiringly ego-free way. They support each other to make sure every moment is enjoyable for all. A perfect example of this is Diego. He is a talented instructor but he also...leads coffee tastings, sets up/breaks down the day, makes beach-side lunches and prepares/leads video analysis. He is constantly thinking about the next step regardless of whether it is his step to lead.

Kalon Energy. I've never been anyplace where the people provided such a calm and connected energy. From the welcoming smile I'd get from everyone each day to the "RJ...how are you?"'s I'd constantly hear in the water. The Kalon team clearly loves what they do and wants to make sure they provide the energy guests need to love it too.

Detail. I'm still blown away but the level of detail in every moment. Dinners where incredible. The rooms, absolute perfection. The surf technique and guidance allowed me to advance through levels that could have taken me years. BUT none of this was possible with out the extreme attention to detail the experience has in every moment.

Junior, Surf Coach. WOW, what an amazing person and coach! His calming presence and incredible teaching abilities provide a constant sense of trust and positivity. Junior's communication skills are truly impressive. I'm shocked by how he can get the guests to do what they need to by approaching each one differently and achieving incredible results.

Diego, Surf Coach: In addition to the above, Diego understands how to drive Kalon process while making the guests think nothing is happening. He watches everything, knows everything and truly cares. He was able to communicate with me in times of total frustration through the impressive knowledge he has for surfing as well as people.

Andres, Head Surf Instructor: Andres is an incredible surfer and instructor. His depth of knowledge and skill are impressive to watch. He helped me with my best waves through very simple instructions that made it clear he was watching everyone with a professional eye.

Juan, Executive Chef: What a talented person! All guests remain shocked by his ability to provide exceptional food throughout the entire experience. He also connected with each of us in an amazing way. It is clear he and Deiner (assistant chef) are true artists who love their craft and love sharing it with people. Bravo Juan and Deiner!

Andrea, Masseuse & Pilates Instructor: Amazing energy! I'm so impressed by how many true talents she has. Her massage was exceptional and I loved her pilates class. She also took wonderful pictures when Jonathan had to surf with us one day. She is a total rockstar.

I can't wait to come back and share by experience with fellow surfers! See you in May 2018 Kalon Surf family! Thank you truly.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo