“Not As Bad As Some Reviews Make Out.”

Howard Johnson Express Inn - Williams
Ranked #14 of 30 Hotels in Williams
Cardiff Wales
“Not As Bad As Some Reviews Make Out.”
Reviewed 31 December 2011

After booking the hotel on line and then reading some of the reviews I was a bit worried about our families one night stay at the hotel. However as I noticed if there is an individual problems it tends to affect the overall review written.
We booked the hotel as it is close to the Grand Canyon Railway Station and for this it is ideal. We had two adjoining rooms and they were reasonably comfortable, a small bathroom but no real problems. The dreaded under sheets make the beds to hot.
We used the swimming pool, the water was very clear and no problems seen.
With regard to the breakfast I would agree with previous comments the breakfast area is to small for the numbers expected to use it and the option is take it back to your room or dine out.
Having travelled in many areas of the USA I would say this is average for motel style accommodation.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Tafftraveller

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Korean first
Winona Lake, Indiana
Reviewed 25 October 2011

when we arrived at 4;30 AM HE HAD NO RESERVATION FOR US. we had paid our travel agent ahead but he charged us again. I was able to get that straightened out. Owner was friendly. no food available except for breakfast

Room Tip: cheap hotel. find another one
  • Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed 4 October 2011

To be fair, I didn't even stay. My wife and I arrived and were pretty appalled at the neighborhood and the dinginess of the hotel. Since there is no street view to see it, it's on a side road off I-40 across from a used ATV lot.

However, it's the management that made this terrible. After deciding not to stay, I asked the attending clerk about canceling the second night. I was a hotel Comptroller so I understand no-show reservations and had no problem with the 1 night charge. The clerk says he can't access the system and that I have to speak to the GM in the morning.

When I call the GM, Mr. Patel, he informs me that I did not make it inside the 24-hour cancellation (because I had to wait until the next day) and after protesting, he re-states that I should have cancelled the day before (which his own clerk wouldn't do). When I cut him off to make ask him something, he tells me to "shut up and let him finish," at which point he just says the same thing. After the second time, I told him that if he needed the money so bad he could keep it, that I would rather just let other people know what terrible service they offered and that I would never recommend a place that tricked people by refusing to cancel the second day despite 24-hour notice.

It is well worth it to stay in Flagstaff at a good hotel and take the nice drive up US180 to the Grand Canyon than to stay in a rudely staffed dump like this one.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mat R
SOUTHAMPTON
Reviewed 13 September 2011

where do you start, we were staying in the usa for 4 weeks and this i'm sorry to say was the worst hotel i have ever had the pleasure. after a hot and sticky 5.5hrs drive we were all looking forward to a nice dip in the pool. it was green reception claims it was ok to swim in and just had a problem with the towns water!!! well my pool at home you keep filled all the time so no towns water is going to change that more like lack of maintenance/chemicals . with all the walking you do on holidays like this you need a good night sleep to recharge your batteries ready for the next days heat and hiking. i woke up feeling worse than before bad back jesus was on pain killers for the next couple of days. and to finish off breakfast room was tiny 4 table to serve over 50 rooms!!!!! garbage sort your self out its a disgrace

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Bullhead City, Arizona
Reviewed 27 August 2011

This was supposed to be a family trip to the Grand Canyon. After a night at this hotel, we were exhausted. The beds were extremely uncomfortable, It was not just two 60 year olds backs. My 15 year old granddaughter's back even hurt from sleeping on that bed. A good night's sleep, waking refreshed and ready to have a good time at the Grand Canyon was definately not what we experienced.Lock did not function on connecting room. We tried to lock it. It did not work. The people in the other room attempted to lock their side, unsuccessfully.
When we went to the main building for the free cont. breakfast, there were only 4-5 tables for guests to use and the small, unaccomodating dining area was packed with people attempting to plate breakfast and sit somewhere. Most were just coming in and leaving without breakfast due to the lack of space. It was elbow to elbow. We left and went to a local restaurant. Tired, achy and unfed. This hotel is a 0 on a 0-10 scale. NEVER STAY HERE!!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family