Jinava Hotel & Restaurant(San Marcos La Laguna)(Great Value!)
US$45
  • Bar/Lounge
Hotel Paco Real(San Marcos La Laguna)(Great Value!)
Book now, pay at stay
US$33
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
Hotel Villa Tzankujil(San Marcos La Laguna)
US$18
Priceline
Casa Horus(San Marcos La Laguna)(Great Value!)
  • Restaurant
Casa Azul Vista Al Lago(San Marcos La Laguna)(Great Value!)
US$104
US$98
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
Book now, pay at stay
US$100
US$89
  • Beachfront
Hostel ahau(San Marcos La Laguna)
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
Hostal Pachamama(San Marcos La Laguna)
Agoda.com
All reviewspescadostained glasssan marcoshoneymoon suitegranolaoutdoor bathroombeautiful hotelhard boiled eggsthe ownerfresh fruitthe cliffone of a kindmy girlfriendunique roomsduring rainy seasonevery morningunique place
Reviewed 27 April 2013

My girlfriend and I lived in San Marcos for almost 3 months and whenever we had a day off from work, even though we had a free room at another hostel, we would stay at Aaculaax for a vacation from vacation. The detail of design, views from the garden terrace, and sheet softness/ water pressure were incredible.

Room Tip: There are expensive rooms with gorgeous lake views that you can reserve and lovely "economy" rooms that you have to go morning of to see if any are open. Luz was the name of our favorite economy room.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 April 2013

My husband and I spent two weeks in the lovely Hotel Aaculaax. We selected a room with a kitchen which allowed us to save money by not eating out all the time. Gardens at the property are fabulous and we spent many hours just hanging out on our second floor balcony relaxing and watching birds. The owners and the staff are all very friendly and helpful, any issues were dealt with immediately.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 April 2013

My husband and I spent two nights here on our 20th anniversary trip to Guatemala. We stayed in Pescado which is a lovely room with stunning views of the lake--that also has its own rooftop kitchen/living room complete with fireplace and window boxes. We loved sipping wine and watching the fireflies come out in the evening--as well as enjoying coffee and the sunrise. Can't wait to return! (And two weeks after semana santa, there was plenty of a lovely breakfast to go around without any waiting...)

Room Tip: Pescado is highly recommended!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 April 2013

My son and I recently travelled through Belize, Guatemala, and Mexico for 6 weeks. When we arrived in San Marcos La Laguna we were intending to stay only one night. I decided to 'treat' ourselves to Hotel Aaculaax for our stay since I had heard it was a little more expensive than other hotels in the town.
Well - I was blown away by the sheer beauty of the hotel. It is outstanding - a work of art. AND very reasonably priced. We stayed in a room that used a communal washroom (which was a experience - I don't think I have been in such and organic and beautiful washroom as this one). For the two of us we were charged Q120 (around $18USA).
Though we did not participate in their breakfast (you have to reserve your attendance in advance) I did see what they offered to the guests. Again - beautifully presented with lots of flowers and fruit.
We stayed an extra night and would have gladly have stayed in the relaxing atmosphere of San Marcos and Aaculaax longer if we didn't have a 'schedule'.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 April 2013

My husband, 7 month old son and I stayed in Sirena for 2 nights. We loved the hotel and especially our room, which is more like a little apartment. Nice linens and towels, sweet little kitchen with everything we needed, great views. The owners were on-site and attentive, along with the rest of the staff. The water did go out our last night there, but that's the sort of thing that happens in Guatemala, and the staff handled it as well as possible (greeting us at the gate to let us know what was going on, delivering buckets of water to flush the toilet, etc.). San Marcos was more charming than I remembered it, and we loved escaping to our little paradise on the hill. It was a family-friendly place, and several other families and the owners had small children. We really enjoyed our visit and will be back!

Room for improvement:
Hand towels, washcloths, and more towels would be nice.
Breakfast was good quality (fresh squeezed OJ, good bread and croissants, nice jam), but they seemed to have a tough time keeping the buffet stocked. Granted, it was a busy weekend, but they would bring out a small plate of bread and 4 pats of butter for a terrace full of hungry people, then 5 minutes later they would bring a small bowl of fruit. Seemed to not have the best system for this, or maybe they were trying to limit how much we ate. Either way, the result seemed to be a bunch of irritated guests wanting their breakfast!

Room Tip: Sirena: Great views of the lake! Bright morning sun, which we liked. The door opens into the bedroom, then there is an extra cave-like foyer sort of room, interesting bathroom cut into the hill to the left, and the kitchen/sitting room up a few stairs to the right. Terrace was not huge, but perfect for a morning cup of coffee (a little too bright: I was wishing for a sun shade on the east side). Not as many stairs as they say. The kitchen was well stocked with the basics: nice set of pots and pans, service for 4, coffee maker, corkscrew, cutting board, etc. There was also a table for 4. Could definitely make a meal here, although we did not. Only downside is that noise carried well with other rooms close-by and there was a very bright light that came in our bedroom window from the stairs outside shared by other guests (didn't want to turn it off because the stairs can be treacherous at night, but a curtain on that window would be nice). I also peeked into a couple of the discount rooms. They were lovely and would be great for those travelling on a budget. Simple and small, but clean and interesting with nice little touches for comfort and beauty.
Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank ramblinrain
HotelAaculaax2012, Owner at Lush Atitlan, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2013

Thank you for your comments. We always appreciate guest feedback. This guest was correct, breakfast was slow that particular morning at the buffet. It is not usually so. It was the height of Holy Week (Semana Santa) one of the busiest travel times in Central America and we were inundated with people. We would never try to limit our guests' consumption and always do our best. Guatemala and San Marcos in particular move at a slightly slower speed than the first world.

All technical issues like water and power outages we try to handle the best we can. At times they do occur here in Guatemala and are beyond our control.

Lily Manne