All reviewsexcellent foodst jeanlovely hotelno problemjunior suitehamwell worth a visitbreadfranceaubergebonnecoursescompiegneukpicardyprewoods
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We had a bit of trouble finding this gem, tucked away as it is in the forests north of Paris, but once we did, oh boy, did we enjoy ourselves. Our room was lovely, very comfortable, great bed, good lighting, lovely shower/bath. And the food was historic. We both had the 'menu' for about 56 euros, and my dinner started with a foie gois ravioli which was fabulous...my husband had the seared tuna. We both had the duck which was presented in about three ways: magret, a lightly battered drumstick, and something else that was just delicious. The cheese course was one of the best courses I have ever had in France, ever. It was a brie that had been melted, to which I think egg whites had been added for lightness, and it was served with a basil ice cream. Dessert was a chocolate hazelnut creation that was perfect. The whole meal was one of the best I have had in France..... This wasn't just a good idea, this was a genius idea and a marvellous discovery.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MargaretinLondon
Reviewed 10 February 2014

We went to the auberge "a la bonne idee" for a weekend get away, and our expectations were a small charming hotel, with a good restaurant to enjoy good food in a classic setting. And that was exactly what we got. We got a friendly and professional welcome, smooth reception process and guided to our room. The building is old and quaint, so we expected smaller rooms that fit the decor. The room 'abricot' had a hallway with a closet build in, a separate bedroom and small tv. All very clean and fitting with the scenery. We took our starting drink in the salon, and selected our menu, asked for a variation on the dessert, and everything was possible. After some time we were guided to our table and enjoyed a very good meal, paired with a wine we had chosen form the large wine list. Drinks aren't cheap, but at the same level we've seen at other fine dining restaurants.
Setting is formal, service is very swift. Wine glasses and water filled after every pass by the waiter. Food explained and presented nicely, classical dishes. Do not expect molecular cuisine here, but look for tasteful and authentic ingredients cooked just right. For us, the speed between dishes was a little too fast, but that depends on personal preferences.
As expected sound isolation in an older mansion, wasn't perfect, but as people come to relax, this doesn't cause problems

The breakfast was nice, and tasteful, but I had preferred a warm selection of eggs to complement bread and cheese. Orange juice was fresh, coffee and milk server hot... Small things that make the difference between a delicious morning coffee or just a coffee.

The environment of the hotel is nice for quiet walks in the woods, or visit typical small towns. Paris isn't too far away (under an hour drive)

Overall I would recommend this restaurant and hotel for people looking for good food, peace and quiet and correct service, but reading other reviews: leave with the right expectations.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Restaurant exceptional for this area, I admit. However, it is not a "fantastic" or unique restaurant in the world. Bad service def brings down my motivation to return.
-1st time: one question mark.
-2nd time: ok
-3rd time: the worst treatment I ever experienced. We were on time for lunch. We sit, the waitress is clear to show her frustration for taking 5 min to decide what we want to eat. It's not a McD. I want to look at the menu, ok? "Finally" we order. As soon as I had one sip of champagne, she comes back and stood in front of my face to ask I want to order wine for the following food. Give me a break!!!!!

And for all 3 times, sommelier NEVER explains wine. Oh, did we order a bottle to cheap??

Again, since food is great but not too unique for the price, they better work harder on service. I rather go to Pierrefonds (10 min drive from this restaurant) and eat in one of the restaurants there with welcoming manner.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank 2017_TA_KS
Reviewed 28 October 2013

We had an agreeable stay at the Auberge a la Bonne Idee. Dinner was excellent in the beautiful stone-walled dining room. The cuisine from our experience was traditional in style and extremely well executed. Service was exemplary.

And then there was the room with a comfortable bed but almost no space. I have a "bonne idee" for the owners: Marley doors. A lavatory without a door won't do, and 110 Euros excluding breakfast is far too much to enjoy the experience.

Room Tip: See if you can get one with a toilet door!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rexie
Reviewed 11 October 2013

What a gem of a hotel! We spent a night here on our way to southern France last July. Situated in a chocolate box village the hotel was comfortable and the staff were welcoming and friendly. The highlight of our stay had to be the meal we had in the garden restaurant. The setting was idyllic, the food excellent and the wine perfect.
Would we go again? Not half!

Room Tip: I would imagine that all the rooms are excellent as the hotel is situated in a very small, quiet village.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple