“An exciting and welcome addition to Maynooth”
Review of Shoda Market Cafe

Shoda Market Cafe
Ranked #5 of 44 Restaurants in Maynooth
Price range: US$6 - US$15
Description: Shoda Market Cafe is Irelands newest lifestyle cafe in Maynooth. Serving a range of great tasting healthy dishes for all tastes and preferences. We focus on great coffee, fantastic wines, quality food with excellent service in a warm a spacious environment.
Reviewed 10 January 2017

Have heard a lot, all good, about Shoda, a new restaurant/coffee shop opened at the side of Glenroyal hotel in Maynooth, and got to check it out for myself yesterday. And wasn't disappointed. The restaurant is spacious, bright, modern, both funky and fancy, with its own character and great ambience, and would suit for both sit-down meal or just a hot beverage and as a rake-away for a coffee and a treat. Food offering was very impressive, from scones to quiches to fish cakes to traditional soup-sandwiches to hot carvery. Since it was my first time there, I wasn't sure what to order and a staff member at the counter patiently explained what was what. I settled on a coronation chicken wrap, toasted, which was absolutely delicious. Chicken pieces in a mild curry sauce certainly beat the old and tired plain ham-and/cheese. The wrap came with three salads, and I struggled to choose from a variety of fresh and tasty looking dishes. In the end I settled for a red cabbage coleslaw, which was delicious, Mediterranean couscous, ditto, and kale salad, which although being undoubtedly healthy, didn't impress me. Perhaps if the leaves had been more finely shredded or cooked, it would have been nicer. As it is, it was hard to chew.
My husband and I are both fans of scones and I was delighted to see four types, all looking very tempting. My husband got a fruit one and I chose a brown one, with chocolate, best of both worlds. Scones came with free cream and jam, although I couldn't vouch that jam was home made. Both scones were perfect. Soft and crumbly, just right.
Service was excellent. The staff are very friendly and hard working. A female staff member, probably a supervisor, as she was wearing a different untiform, was very attentive. She brought tea over to our table, and asked us if everything was ok. On our way out, she interrupted her conversation with another staff member to enquire if we were happy with everything, and we honestly told her we were. Very much so.
A male staff member, Nathan, as I heard his colleague call him, was very helpful and efficient, all the time remaining smiling and friendly. I twice asked him for extra hot water, and he was happy to oblige, without any fuss or impatience. Service as it should be.
Maynooth being a university town is full of eateries, and after having tried most, if not all of them, I think Shoda already stands out. They set the bar at a new high, and if they continue how they started, they will certainly be and remain popular and successful.
One can also buy various gifts, edible and non, and funky and quirky bits and pieces there.
Shoda is perhaps not cheaper than its competition in Maynooth or Celbridge, but we all would probably prefer to pay a bit more if it is worth it. And in Shoda, it is.
We, for one, found a new place for tasty imaginative food in lovely and inviting atmosphere. After being fans of The Orchard for years, we just might take our custom to Shoda now.

2  Thank natasha0358
Daniel M, General Manager at Shoda Market Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2017

Hi Natasha,

Thank you for taking the time to review Shoda Market Café on TripAdvisor.

I was delighted to read your amazing review of your experience with us. We have certainly been working hard to create attractive & unique dishes using the freshest ingredients.

It was great to be able to pass on your compliments to Nathan & Monika who where delighted to be recognised on TripAdvisor.

I hope you continue to enjoy our new café & we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 5 January 2017 via mobile

Been here a few times now for lunch, and have enjoyed it - have had the specials each time, as they are probably best value and changed every time we've been in. Have had fish, ham, pork, lamb, all very well cooked. A few negative points - the one time we tried soup it was very bland; and the service is not as well organised as it could be, need to let people with food get seated quicker and not get bogged down behind the coffee station! But it's good enough value and worth going back to!

1  Thank komuso

Hi Komuso,

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor,

It was great to hear you had an enjoyable experience and enjoyed our dishes, our daily specials are a great opportunity for our Chef Dmitrijs and his team to create unique & tasty dishes.

We have noticed our flow of service at the counter can bottle neck at busy periods and have introduced new procedures to help this move faster along with plans to redesign the till area in the near future.

Looking forward to welcome you back to Shoda again soon,

Reviewed 11 December 2016 via mobile

Came here with a friend today for lunch. Was impressed with the options with a mix of hot and cold food options. We both went for salads and there was a good range to choose from - from couscous to carrot to bulgar wheat to curried cauliflower and more. Good sized portions and very friendly staff. One gentleman who I assume is the manager came around twice to check we were OK for everything which was lovely to see the personal service as you don't see that too often anymore. Will definitely be returning.

1  Thank gillmoore2004
Reviewed 7 December 2016

Have eaten here twice since it opened once for breakfast and once for lunch.On both occasions I could not find fault with it. I had eggs benedict for breakfast and was asked how I would like them cooked, the day I had lunch there the soup was pumpkin and coconut. It had a subtle hint of spiciness but not overpowering. Neither times did I feel compelled to eat up and go. They have a lovely gift area to the front of the cafe as you walk in selling quirky signs, bars of chocolate etc. The staff are extremely friendly but very professional. Keep up the good work. The two hours free parking is a bonus too, but do be aware that you will be clamped if you park for a long time, I have seen several cars clamped in the car park.

1  Thank fmc3105
Daniel M, General Manager at Shoda Market Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2017

Hi FMC3105,

Thank you for such an amazing review, it was certainly "a bit of fresh air" for us at Shoda to read.

We are delighted you have enjoyed our new café on a couple of occasions, we have a great team with a true passion for hospitality and great food.

There is complimentary parking which is a 2 hour maximum stay on the Supervalue side however guests of Shoda and the Glenroyal Hotel can park with no restrictions on the hotel side of the car park. Just a tip for next time...

We hope that you will continue to enjoy Shoda through 2017 & we look forward to welcoming you back again soon,

Reviewed 20 November 2016 via mobile

We ate here last night great service and tasty food. Friendly warm staff. We started with chicken wings and thrn I had the fish and my husband chicken all were good. Would recommend

3  Thank Dw0175