“Beautiful location, fantastic food.”
Review of Cliff House Hotel

Cliff House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Ardmore
Reviewed 1 November 2011

We only had a single overnight stay here, I wish we could've stayed longer. From the moment we arrived we were made to feel incredibly welcome, though there was a slight misunderstanding that we were on honeymoon (we weren't, unfortunately).

Our room (room 10) was down on the lowest level of the hotel, which meant we had an amazing view out over the bay. I loved the large bathroom and the waterfall type taps on both the bath and sink.

We had the tasting menu in the restaurant. Words cannot describe how good this meal was, my fiancé said he really thought I was going to cry tears of happiness. Each course was perfectly balanced and timed to arrive just as you were starting to think it would be nice to move onto the next thing.

Breakfast the next morning was also excellent and what I loved in both meals was the use of local ingredients from their own gardens and local suppliers.

We both enjoyed it so much that it is top of our list of places to return to.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JoannaSchaff
Bottler1984, General Manager at Cliff House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2011

Dear JoannaSchaff

Thank you for your kind words and for taking the time to write a review about your stay.
Glad that you enjoyed your stay and are looking forward to coming back.....
(Hopefully the next time will be on your honeymoon!).

Adriaan Bartels

Write a ReviewReviews (1,784)

Reviewed 25 October 2011

I found it by accident so had no hype to live up to. I had never heard of it before our visit. I stayed in room 20. Patrick, the very helpful man who does everything, showed us the most expensive room in the hotel and then a couple of the suites. However because room 20 offers a fantastic view of the sea lying on the bed, we think it’s the best and will book it again. We eat in the bar not the restaurant but it was outstanding. So what must it be like in the restaurant? Patrick was so considerate that we gave him a large tip….and I am a tight fisted Yorkshire man.

Room Tip: Book room 20 !
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank davidguerilla
AdriaanBartels, General Manager at Cliff House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2011

Dear davidguerilla

Thank you for your review and your room tip. Indeed room 20 is a great choice and we will certainly allocate it to you on your next visit. Glad that you were well looked after by Patrick and that you looked after him also! No doubt he appreciated it.

Best wishes

Reviewed 20 October 2011

My fiancé and I went down to Cliff House Hotel last weekend, I had booked as a surprise for his birthday. Perhaps my expectations were too high but I was expecting to be “wowed” and I really wasn’t.

Negatives:
- Our room smelled damp when we went into it (room 10)
- Our shower door leaked and the tap in the bath sprayed water backwards into the wall when it was turned on (possibly explaining the damp smell)
- The common areas of the hotel are showing wear; which is surprising considering it was refurbished in 2008. For example, the carpet on the stairs going from the lobby to the restaurant is threadbare.
- The service in the bar can be very slow; at lunch we were sitting with empty plates for over 20 minutes before anyone offered us coffee.
- The bar stops serving food at 9pm – this is outrageous for a 5 star hotel, especially on a Friday when people are travelling down after work.
- The cleaning staff could be better.

Positives:
- The hotel is situated in a beautiful area.
- The rooms have stunning views.
- There is a really nice relaxed air to the place.
- The food is very good.
- The spa staff were very good and the pool is lovely (we didn’t get any treatments, just used the gym and pool)
- We were in a suite and the décor was lovely and the room was very comfortable.
- The room service is one of the most efficient I’ve ever seen. Very prompt on any order or enquiry.

We had a wonderful time, lovely food and really felt relaxed after our stay there and the negatives really aren’t huge issues, but when at the end of my two night stay I was handed the bill, rather than feeling that it is expensive but worth it, I felt like I overpaid for what is in my opinion a 4 star hotel, with good food.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank aliasvh

Dear aliasvh

Thanks for your review and I appreciate your feedback.

The quieter winter period allows us to attend to maintenance issues such as the ones you have raised so these will be attended to over the next few weeks.
Whilst we officially close the Bar restaurant at 9pm we do often make exceptions and serve until later and the main restaurant is open until 10pm as it happens.

Reviewed 17 October 2011

Recently stayed here and the hotel and views are stunning. The food in restaurant was out of this world and the rooms were spacious and also with a lovely bathroom. . I will defenitley be returning as soon as possible.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Bottler1984, General Manager at Cliff House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2011

Dear burkeid

Great review - thank you - short, sweet and to the point. Delighted you will be back and look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 13 October 2011

I live close by this beautiful hotel and can therefore not comment on the accomodation. However I have called in to the lounge for coffee a number of times and had dinner in the restaurant a couple of times.
The hotel is beautiful with plush modern decor and it is in a fantastic location. The setting for a drink in the lounge or on the scenic balcony is superb. However you need the patience of job if you want to be served here. Every time I have gone here I have been left waiting...be it for the menu, the drinks or the bill. A wait of up to twenty minutes is not unusual and it doesn't matter whether the bar is empty or thronged.
A couple of weeks ago my husband and I treated ourselves to dinner here. The food was fantastic, the setting lovely, and the the service was woeful. We had an 8.30 booking but our table wasn't ready until 9.15. We were left without water for much of the dinner despite requesting it. We had to wait fifteen minutes for the bill. We were then given the wrong bill and had to wait another ten minutes for the correct one.
At these five star prices I expect five star service but this was far from it. This hotel is at best three star when it comes to service.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Blaithin29
AdriaanBartels, General Manager at Cliff House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2011

Dear Blaithin29

Thanks for your review and I am sorry to read that you have not been well looked after during your recent visits.

We have made improvements to our service over the past few months so it is surprising that it has been a recurring theme for all your visits.

Please say hello the next time you visit so that we can ensure that it won't happen again.

Adriaan Bartels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ardmore
24.3 km away
17.1 km away
Lawlor's Hotel Dungarvan
Lawlor's Hotel Dungarvan
#3 of 3 in Dungarvan

Been to Cliff House Hotel? Share your experiences!