All reviewsstayed herefree wififollowing morningsingle roombedroom windowlovely friendly stafflast weekendbreakfast was includedfriday nightgarvan24hoursbargatedcurtainsirelandhairdryer
Reviewed 20 May 2018 via mobile

I stayed here last night what a set up, I was in my room and the smile of weed was shocking and people fighting in the rooms so I went down to reception to tell them and was met by a oldish man that was serving in the bar earlier in the night, so I explained to him what was going on and he told me if I was not happy to leave so I got a bit offended in the way he spoke to me so I walked away but he did nothing about it as it seem like they were ruling the roost with drugs, he should be ashamed of himself and was lucky I had my nephew woth me or he would have been seeing stars

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
Newbury Hotel M, Manager at Newbury Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Mr Shanley,

There is no need to respond to your review of our hotel as your last 3 words describe the manner in which you approached staff here and the threat of violence from you.. Your assessment of our hotel is simply ridiculous and completely untrue.

Reviewed 16 April 2018 via mobile

Newbury hotel is just perfect for a group, meet up, night out etc.

*location location location*

A group of 16 of us stayed last weekend for a friends hen party. The hotel was just perfect.

The hotel is in the perfect location of essentially in the middle of town. The back of the hotel looks onto the carpark and train platform. We do not require taxis to our restaurant/pubs/clubs or home again (mind you heading out we did take one which really really wasnt needed we all laughed at how we would have walked it in heels no problem).

Parking lot is small and tight but definitely fine for a seasoned driver. Theres probably only space for about 15 vehicles. Dont be sending any L drivers in though or borrowin a car for your trip lol. It could get messy. I used it personally, rest of the group were on bus and I had no issue at all. It is also gated so that was a nice touch not havin to worry about damage to the car on the side of the street.

On arrival, the hen sorted out the room allocations with the receptionist. All was smooth friendly, as far as we knew anyway! Certainly looked that way.

The rooms are good sizes. Nothin huge. Definitely not "basic" or below standard. The rooms were very fresh, clean, painted was clean, windows, curtains and bedding spotless. The bathrooms are tiled and no grime. Plenty of towels. Nice travel size lotions & potions in ensuite. There are options of 3 bedded rooms etc if you are a group. Bedroom window will open enough to actually air the room without risking your toddler escaping. Tea coffee station and hairdryer in the room. We had 2 single beds. Not amazingly comfortable but just fine. Extra pillows in the press which was good as only 1 each on the beds.

We had nibbles and prosecco after check in as part of the hen package. So chips cocktail sausages and chicken wings. It went down a treat. Everything had been cooked fresh, for def. Well all tucked in.

We had one girl in the group with very restricted dietary and drinks needs. The hotel accommodated her every time no issues at all. Whether it be an alternative to the prosecco, for free. Or taking some of her own items to add to her meals.
We were very happy to see she was taken care of. 24hours of limited food drinks available for her, was a concern. Thankfully they handled it like pros.

We arrived back to hotel in the wee hours and got a warm welcome. Just ring the doorbell and got a quick answer. No residents bar- which we were grateful for the next morning!

The breakfast the next morning again was 100% cooked fresh. Yes, that means we waited a few for it but it was so worth it. They easily could have had everything cooked and ready to throw out when we came down , especially with a group of 16, but that wasnt the case. There is table service for hot food, tea and coffee. Then an buffet area for cereals fruit salads youghurts juices.

Check out was quick and easy.

The hotel overall is very well maintained. Spotless. Friendly staff. But in all of our books , they got serious brownie points for how they catered for a group of our size. We were so so glad to get tasty good food cooked fresh. This hotel definitely help to make it a very successful hen.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
2  Thank Sindy1989
Reviewed 9 April 2018

During the bad snow storm I became stranded in Mullingar after having to travel from Longford because my partner needed to visit A&E, she ended up having to stay overnight in the hospital.

Online the hotel was showing availability so I arrived in the hotel around 9-10pm advising that I needed a single room so gave credit card details and paid the amount for single room. (59 euro)

Stayed in hotel by myself, had breakfast by myself, left hotel by myself. I was reviewing my credit card bill a few weeks later and noticed a second charge by the hotel of 31E a few days after I checked out. I emailed the hotel asking what was up and I received the following reply.

"As there were two people for Breakfast from your room the following Morning of your stay, we strongly believe that the second person has also stayed in the hotel. Our room rate for a Twin/Double room was 90.00 EUR that night. Therefore an additional charge of 31.00 EUR has incurred."

So I was called a liar and my credit card was charged without my consent. I emailed the hotel back. This time I received an apology that shortage of staff resulted in wrong information being relayed. There was no staff shortage when I received the first reply, this should have been looked at more closely before replying.

But how on earth did they, without a preauthorization charge my credit card? I emailed back asking this question as in my head this is credit card fraud. Over a week has passed and silence. I can only assume my credit card details were written down to enable the later charge.

The hotel itself was adequate, as I don't eat meat/eggs/dairy I was limited at breakfast and there was no dairy free margarine so had dry toast with mushrooms, beans, hash brow.

The room was large and I found the bed comfortable enough. But I would never stay in this hotel again, the experience left a very sour taste in my mouth. Never in any hotel I've stayed in has this type of thing happened.

Hopefully in future they will give customers benefit of the doubt or at least spend a few minutes to check facts out before asserting paying guests are liars and then decide to very sneakily take unauthorized payments.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 December 2017 via mobile

The staff were incredibly nice but for 90euro we got a room that was like furnice due to it being connected to a kitchen from what I'm presuming is either the on site chinese or there own. They say country style, I would say this room was just outdated and one lamp not working. We got room 119 so I would just maybe say request to not get that room. It has a view of the lrovate car park and is beside the back external door which gets slammed by rwturning residents at night. However as I said tbe staff are very nice and the breakfast was very good. We had a slot in a secure car park also. All in all was not overly impressed for the price. 50/60 would have been much for acceptable for the standard of the room. Convienient location though and did the job just over priced.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Enda W
Reviewed 29 November 2017

We travel to Mullingar every month and we always have lunch in the Newbury Hotel with Garvan and the lovely friendly staff. Yesterday my husband had steak IT was delicious and I had the lamb chops which were succulent. I love this boutique hotel with its convenience to the shops. Parking is available at the back which is a gem when the town is busy.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family