AC Hotel Algeciras(Algeciras)
US$51
US$70
US$63
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsferry portroom was spotlessly cleantrain stationmoroccan stylefast ferrycomfortable hotelwithin easy walking distancethe hotel staffmoroccofrscafeteriaratessupermarket
Reviewed 30 May 2017

After staying in Moroccan budget hotels over the past month, I was looking for a little more elegance and comfort, my mum had stayed in the Marina Victoria some years ago and said it was okay, so conveniently located just across the road from the ferry port I walked in and approached the front desk, the room rates were prominently displayed at reception, so no tedious Moroccan-style haggling over money, a single would be 28 euros for me which was quite a good deal.

Reception staff were helpful and friendly and spoke English, another pleasant surprise because my command of the Spanish language is rather limited, my room was on the fourth floor with lots of stairs to negotiate, but fortunately there is a four-person lift. My room had the two windows facing the rear of the building, so no nice view of the activities in the street below, but for a one night stopover this was acceptable. There is no food served in the hotel but there are two Moroccan-owned cafeterias on either side of the hotel front door, from previous experience one of these, Cafe Goya, was guilty of overcharging on the bill, a common Moroccan malpractice, so I used the cafeteria at the ferry port which is open 24/7.

My room was spotlessly clean with two comfortable single beds and private bath and toilet, and above all working electricals, a pleasant change from Moroccan budget accommodations!

Room Tip: As for a room at the front of the building with view of the street below.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Kaptainsensible
Reviewed 19 September 2016

This hotel is in fact a basic impersonal hotel we stayed in for 4 nights and much to our surprise really liked staying there! We chose the hotel because of its price and because we had planned to do birding in the Tarifa region and wanted to visit Gibraltar, both places offered much more expensive hotels and we also did not want to change locations every second day! Algeciras turned out to be en excellent proposition!
We had a nice large room with a nice big bathroom and a balcony with a fabulous view of the harbour and the rock of Gibraltar. The room was very comfortable with a double bed, nice big cupboard, desk and bed side tables. The bed, however was quite bad, the mattresses need changing in the hotel, much too soft with two people just sinking like lumps in the middle of the bed. When we complained about the mattress, they said all rooms had the same kind, so there is not much hope where a nice bed is concerned! But other than that, no complaints!
The hotel does not have dining facilities but it is surrounded by cheap restaurants serving quite good food as a matter of fact. The one adjoining the hotel to its right (as you face the hotel, has excellent service and good cheap food, and there are a few across the road which are very good, among them Alcazar and Casa Blanca on the road leading to the bus station.
And, that is just another attraction: the hotel is stone's throw from the bus station and the port. So, the trip to Gibraltar was absolutely no problem (we chose to leave the car parked all the 4 days we were in Algeciras!). There is no street parking but a private car park very close to the hotel gives hotel clients fabulous discounts!
I almost forgot, the hotel is also very close to a fabulous fresh food market which opens at seven every morning with great breads and vegetables, and meats and cheeses! Travelling on small budgets, no problem finding good food!
Finally, I have to caution all against being duped by the Transafric Travel Agency that is just two doors down. This agency offers a good deal day tour of Ceuta-Tangiers by fast ferry. Much can be said about this not-so-nice tour in spite of the fact that one gets a fine ferry ride and a short nice view of Morocco. The tour is good value at 59 euros a head as the Rough Guide recommends, however, be prepared to be duped by the aggressive for tips guides of which there are plenty on the trip. Picked up in Ceuta by a guide and driver, we had to deal with five to six more guides, either employed by the 'chief' guide or by the agency itself. Be ware of one called 'Aziz' if you take this trip, better still, don't take the trip! I wish I could have reviewed this tourist trap in more details, but I have to remember that it is the hotel Marina Victoria I am reviewing.
Well, I recommend the hotel without reservations..

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony!
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Manya53
Reviewed 11 September 2016 via mobile

Clean, welcoming, staff who work to make sure you are looked after.
We chose this location as it was walking distance to the ferry to Morocco.
At the end of our trip we ran into a problem involving our vehicle, staff went above and beyond to help all 3 of us.
Of particular note staff member Abdel drove us back and forth to the police station and spoke in Spanish on our behalf to help us.
Thank you Abdel!
After about 3 hours we are good to go and enjoyed lunch with our new friend Abdel, the least we could do.
Abdel finished night shift at the hotel at 8 am!
Thank you Marina Hotel.
Terry, Karen and McKenna

Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family
2  Thank Terry A
Reviewed 15 August 2016

Sorry that we slept only 1 night in the way to Morroco.The room was very nice, clean, and well equipped. Excellent breakfast with natural juice.the team do the best to satisfy a group of 55 person.I recommended very sincerly that hotel and hope to return again for a long stay. beautiful view from everywhere

Room Tip: one side the port and the sea from the other side the montain gibraltar rock from the east the room are more quiet. .
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 June 2016

We had to find a hotel late at night and saw this hotel from a distance. We checked in quite late and found it to be a clean, very basic room which was surprisingly quiet. The hotel desk clerk was nice and spoke some English, just enough to be helpful.

Room Tip: For a quick night's stay.
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled with friends