Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
1,979 results
All reviews old house signature room entertainment team evening entertainment roman mosaic rifle shooting age group historic rooms resident band mid week break guided tour table tennis house tour chinese room jane seymour steeped in history popham restaurant
Selected filters
Reviewed 18 August 2021

The first time visiting a Warner Hotel - 4 night stay, we are just under/over 50/60 and very active. An amazing Hotel, the staff were superb and the facilities above and beyond our expectations. A must go to if you want a relaxing, energetic, child free vacation.

Room tip: go for ground floor so you get patio doors leading to the lovely gardens
Date of stay: August 2021
Warner Leisure Hotels, General Manager at Warner Leisure Hotels Littlecote House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2021

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review following your stay at Littlecote House Hotel.

It's wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your first stay with Warner. We're delighted that you found everything to be beyond your expectations including the facilities and service from our team!

Thanks so much again for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you again soon!

Reviewed 17 August 2021

Arrival was well organised and the room (although quite distant from restaurant and entertainment) was clean and functional. Our main reason for the visit was to hear Wynne Evans - he was truly excellent - great voice and a very amusing character.
Disappointments: The group 'Relentless' were poor and totally inappropriate for an audience consisting mostly of retirees. Bearing that in mind, printing the menus in something larger than c8 point type would be beneficial!
The food was very average and below expectation. Gammon on the first night was good, but generally, it deteriorated as the break continued. The burger on the last night was charred and virtually inedible. I hate to say it, but a Macdonald's is superior in quality. The ham used for the eggs benedict was plastic and also of poor quality. Charging an extra 80p for lemonade in a shandy is not on - even pubs assume that charging for a pint of beer covers the lemonade used.
To end on a positive note: The staff are attentive and welcoming - the prawn and avocado sandwiches served at lunchtimes are excellent.
Overall - expensive for value received.

Date of stay: August 2021
Warner Leisure Hotels, General Manager at Warner Leisure Hotels Littlecote House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2021

Thank you for your review.

We're pleased to hear you found many aspects of your stay to be good including your arrival, accommodation and not to mention the service from our team and entertainment from the fabulous Wynne Evans.

However we're really sorry that several other elements of your break were not to your expectations, and we have noted your comments relating to some of the entertainment and your dining experience.

We're listening to all our guest feedback, both whilst guests are on their holidays and after their stays and we're making some further changes that will enhance our guests stays at our Hotels.

Please, be assured that we are taking the time to review all our reviews and put measures in place so that all guests continue to enjoy their breaks with us.

We hope you will come back and see us soon; we’d love to welcome you back.

Reviewed 16 August 2021

The standard of the evening entertainment was excellent. Particularly the soul singer, Uche Eke. He was excellent, and much appreciated by all the audience. He gave us a great rendering of many well-known soul hits, and was on for a considerable time, which was good. The comedian on the Wednesday night was a good singer, he should stick to singing, as he was not a good comedian. The fact that he apologised to the ladies for making fun of the menopause did not excuse it, and it was just not funny, this kind of humour is out of date, and just dull and boring. The resident 5 singers were excellent, and we loved the blonde lady who sang on her own a lot of the time. The songs from the shows were good too.

The bedroom was fine, but I will just comment on a few things which could be improved. There were not enough tubes of shower gel, only one per day for two people. There were supplies of teabags and coffee but no alternative tea, such as Earl Grey, and although there were several tubs of milk, there was also a pint of fresh milk in the fridge, which was renewed every day despite being well in date, and only used for two drinks. When I said to the chambermaid that she needn't replace it, as it had hardly been used, she replied that the "fridge" was only a cooler, so it needed replacing. What needless cost when there was an adequate supply of milk in little tubs anyway. On the other hand, the two bottles of water, which we used quite quickly, were not replaced, which seemed strange.

The restaurant did not quite come up to expectations, I am afraid. I love risotto, and make it frequently myself, but when I ordered it one night it was not risotto at all, just overcooked sticky boiled rice. I didn't touch it. It was such a disappointment. The roasts of the day were all served, no matter what the meat was, with a huge Yorkshire pudding, which looked overcooked and lukewarm. However, some of the food, like the Katsu curry and the hake, were quite nice. We didn't try the cooked breakfasts, and I am glad we didn't, judging by what another reviewer has said, we had porridge, which seemed watery and lukewarm. I wanted to have some fruit, but the orange I tried was very dry, and the fresh fruit salad seemed to consist entirely of watermelon and grapes.

We went on one of the excursions to the Cotswolds, which was enjoyable. The guide was very informative, and told us everything we needed to know, and provided a map of Burford showing all the places of historical interest. We thought it was good value. We had a very good coach driver who avoided an accident when a dangerous driver pulled out from behind a lorry without looking.

We enjoyed being able to visit the old house and the Roman mosaic. There was lots to see and read about.

Date of stay: August 2021
Warner Leisure Hotels, General Manager at Warner Leisure Hotels Littlecote House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2021

Thank you for your review.

It's good to read your personal feedback of your stay.

We're delighted to hear that you found the entertainment to be excellent, and we'll certainly share your comments with the hotel entertainments team going forward.

However we're sorry that a few other elements of your break were not to your expectations, including your accommodation and dining experience.

Before re-opening, Warners, like many companies in the UK hospitality industry have experienced some challenges in recruiting sufficient team to work in our bars and restaurants. We're sorry if you felt the service and quality was affected in any way, and we've shared your observations with the Hotel's Leadership Team. We are working hard to recruit more team so that we may continue to provide the excellent service levels we have become renowned for.

Thanks again for your review and we do hope you will come back to Warner Leisure Hotels again soon.

Reviewed 14 August 2021

What a fabulous break we had.
From check in to check out everything was excellent.
The entertainment team were absolutely brilliant and highly entertaining.
The only thing i would say is that at breakfast pots of tea and coffee would be preferrable rather than the waiter having to keep being called to top up our cups.
I have already recommended Little cote to friends.
A huge thank you to everyone for making our stay most enjoyable.

1  Thank 180josier

Thank you for your review.

We're delighted to hear you had a fabulous break with us.

It's great to hear that so many things exceeded your expectations, from your arrival and check-in, to the entertainment and service from the team.

Thanks once again for your review and we hope to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed 14 August 2021

I really don't know where to start.

The complex itself is lovely, the old house is very interesting and the grounds are beautiful ...BUT (and it's a very big but) the food preparation and service strategy, overall quality and specifically 'temperature' of food is completely and utterly unacceptable.

Unfortunately, our complaint (which we will be making formally) goes much further than just temperature of food.

This was our first ever Warner's holiday. We booked the 4 night break from Mon 2nd - Fri 6th August 2021.

I’d say the average age at Warner’s is around 70. My partner and I are in our late forties and we fancied a quiet, adults only short break.

On arrival, the service was excellent. We were greeted with a smile and told everything we needed to know.

First impressions of the room were great and we had everything we desired. The floors were noisy and very creaky. If someone above us got up to go to the loo in the middle of the night, we certainly knew about it. If we had to go to our bathroom, I'm sure the people below us were cussing at the creaking our bathroom floor boards made.

There was a fridge in the room that contained 2 bottles of mineral water and fresh milk.

The oddest thing here being that the mineral water was never replaced, yet a whole pint of milk with a use by date of more than a week away was regularly removed and replaced, even if you'd only had 20ml out of it to make a cup of tea.

This happened 3 times in 4 days, made no sense whatsoever, was completely wasteful and perhaps more costly to Warner’s than leaving the milk and occasionally replacing the mineral water.

Everybody was lovely. The staff were polite and the guests were a delight. The evening entertainment was also great and The Late Lounge was a lovely venue for the shows.

I'd heard that pre-covid, most meals were served buffet style and that Warner's previously had a great range of dishes on offer.

Maybe it's because they haven't quite got to grips with being 100% table service, but I'm sorry to say the food situation is unacceptable. Food is quite obviously mass cooked/pre-prepared and the storing/keeping warm of food strategy is completely inadequate.

Cold food is served routinely - sometimes, the meat may be warm but the veg will be stone cold. When the waiters are carrying meals to tables, there is no steam rising from the plates. You can see the meals are barely warm. The tragedy here being that at times the food was plentiful, presented well and tasty - it was just cold.

Warner's have inherent problems that are simply not being addressed. There are countless reviews across ALL the Warner's locations that are critical of food being "cold" or "luke warm at best".

I'm afraid it goes far beyond just temperature.

The highlight of any holiday is waking up to a freshly cooked hot breakfast. Not at Warner’s.

The cooked breakfast was a disgrace.

I like my bacon well-done and crispy ...not gelatinous, barely cooked, pale bacon. Both the lady in front of me and the gentleman behind me in the breakfast queue asked for better cooked bacon, but the reply from the server was "nah, we don't do that here".

The mushrooms were dry, pale and looked as though they’d been boiled, the sausages were dried out as if they'd been cooked and left under hot lamps for hours (they probably had) but by far the worst thing were the eggs. Oh my word the eggs ...

The scrambled eggs were swimming in water. They had split, being cooked too hot or left hot for too long.

The fried eggs were hard, left under hot lamps with a dried crust over the top of them (see photo). To my absolute horror, to the left of the serving station was a large metal tray full of cooked fried eggs and covered in cling film! You can't do that with fried eggs! They were not on a hot plate, or under lights, they were cooked and slowly congealing in their own heat.

I'm sorry, but this just demonstrates poor culinary intelligence ...either that, or what I fear is more likely a lackadaisical attitude of "it'll do".

At every hotel I've ever been to, even breakfast at my local Beefeater, fried eggs are constantly being cooked fresh and immediately served. As they are served to customers, the chef is cooking the next batch, ready to serve them immediately as soon as they are cooked.

You do not 'store' fried eggs under cling film on the worktop.

Toast was another disaster. When you cook a slice of toast and leave it, it doesn't just go cold, it goes chewy. This just demonstrates how far in advance the toast was cooked before being served to guests.

As for the tea ...well. Tea is ready brewed and decanted into a thermos jug. Your waiter comes round and pours this straight into your cup.

The tea served at breakfast tastes absolutely revolting and once again, often cold. A poor lady next to me on the last morning was so unhappy with her tea, but bless her, she didn't want to complain.

Tea is a Great British institution. A decent cup of tea at breakfast is the very LEAST a guest should expect. With the price Warner’s charge, they should feel thoroughly ashamed that they haven’t even managed to deliver this.

Don't just take my word for it. I’ve attached photos of a breakfast and a soup that I had as a starter one evening. One photo shows what I ordered and the other shows what I got.

I was so frustrated and fed up at this point, I had the restaurant manager to the table. The menu clearly said "Chef's Seasonal Soup with Sourdough Bread and Butter" (see photo).

You’d be forgiven for thinking this was a joke. A bowl of soup on a large plate with an inch or two of thin, stale, hard bread and no butter (see photo).

This was no "one-off", they were serving this throughout the restaurant and had served me the exact same thing the night before.

Rather than stale, the manager said it was "baked". I said, "you mean like a crouton?" He said, "yes" ...to which I replied "No". The menu clearly states “sourdough bread with butter” ....it does not say "crouton". In addition, you do not put 'butter' on a crouton. A crouton is served ‘in’ the soup, not sliding around on a huge plate and certainly not with butter.

This was excuse making. It was so bad it was laughable.

I feel Warner's have got away with this for far too long. They have become so complacent they were certainly not ready for my complaint. I actually think the manager was embarrassed. He agreed with me. The next night, ALL the soups were being served properly, as advertised with bread and butter.

I feel the majority of the older guests were just accepting what they were being given and hadn’t ever known any different. The waiters weren’t even prepared for us to order a lime & soda – that’s how behind the times things are.

Furthermore, dining in the restaurant is not a relaxing experience. The whole process just seems rushed. On one evening we ordered our starters at 6.40pm and our desserts were being served at 7.10pm. Fastest 3 course meal I’ve ever had. This is just bad dining/serving etiquette.

A trip to the leisure complex was a huge disappointment. Just like the food, the pool and jacuzzi were cold.

As soon as I walked in, I put my hand in the jacuzzi. It was cold. The pool was so cold that I only got to my waist. I gave up and got out.

The guy on the desk said that it was 29C. It felt colder. He also said the Jacuzzi was a “bubble pool” and simply uses the same water as the pool. You don’t swim or move around to keep warm in a jacuzzi like you do in a swimming pool, you just sit and relax in it. The temperature should be around 35C or just below body temperature ...not 29C.

Then, the guy in the leisure club admitted they’d had problems. Ok, fair enough ....but I hadn’t paid £3.50 for a swim at my local community baths, we’d paid close to £1K for a 4 day break and wanted a relaxing leisurely swim.

We didn’t use the leisure complex again

If Warner’s want to survive, they need to evolve and adapt to a changing world. They can either carry on regardless and operate like old folk’s homes, or be the provider of the quality hotel leisure breaks that they purport to be ...but the up-and-coming 21st century guests of the future, will simply not tolerate such poorly executed, badly managed food and service.

You have been warned.

Room tip: Due to noisy floorboards, a room on the top floor is probably the least disturbing, quieter option.
3  Thank MartinMidz

Thank you for your review.

It's great to hear that you had a smooth arrival and that you also found the team and entertainment to be satisfactory.

However we're very sorry to learn that you experienced such a lot of disappointment regarding your stay, particularly with your dining experience, and we've noted all of your comments going forward.

With regards to our dining offering, prior to the hotel re-opening in May, we made some changes to our dining options, introducing a brand-new Market Kitchen restaurant menu, across all 14 hotels and unfortunately, there have been some teething problems.

Warner along with many other parts of the UK hospitality industry have experienced some challenges in recruiting sufficient team to work in our bars and restaurants. We are working hard to recruit more team, but we are now making some short-term changes to our main restaurants.

The menu changes, team shortages and additional Covid-19 safe ways of working have made it challenging to deliver some of these new dining experiences.

We'd like to reassure you that we're listening to both team and guest feedback and are working hard, and quickly, to fix the problems to help restore our services to the standards our guests expect.

Once again we're really sorry you felt so much disappointment with your stay however we appreciate your comments.

Despite your current feelings we hope we can welcome you again sometime in the future.