“Souffle delightful!”

Cuisines: British, Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 22 March 2015

It does what it says on the tin!
Fantasticaly cooked pub grub with a twist complimented by a marvellous selection of wines. The girls in the restaurant were brilliant very jolly & helpful.
Took me a while to decide on the main but had to go for Toms steak n chips and it was exactly as expected yum!
I ordered the bitter orange soufflé it had a crusty top but inside the lightest soufflé i have ever tasted. Served with cardamon ice cream and a pot of citrus syrup which i poured into the soufflé it was heaven.
Booked again for next year................yep thats the downer for a sunday lunch or saturday night 12 month wait!

1  Thank Ian_Frazer
Write a ReviewReviews (3,864)

Reviewed 22 March 2015 via mobile

No one is more disappointed than me to write such a review, but after waiting 6 months, to take half a days leave, partner to lose a days pay and take four trains to get there, you can imagine our expectations were high.
Positives: venue nicely decorated and cosy, laid back staff
Negatives: the food!!!!!
I ordered the salmon to start, which I couldn't taste, according to the waiter when I mentioned this was down to the red onions! Give my tastebuds a little credit!
For main I had the lamb 'bun', on an oversized plate I received a pastry ball the size of a tennis ball and that was it, thank goodness I ordered a side! It was heavily seasoned with too much salt, to the point of a burning sensation in my mouth. Size verses price was very much leaning on the side of price!
We weren't offered any apology or complimentary dessert after I mentioned my concerns with each course, which surprised me. On occasions like this we aren't shy and normally go all out, but didn't want to waste money on another bottle of marked up wine or dessert. Won't be returning as so much better places out there....

1  Thank tracey40a
Reviewed 20 March 2015

Can't fault the service or food in anyway. A nice relaxed atmosphere, friendly staff and great tasting dishes. Every dish is meticulously designed to wow the customer as they take each bite. After 3 courses and a cocktail each we were absolutely stuffed that we had to take a stroll along the river! Beautiful area and a lovely gastropub. Worth the wait and worth every penny!

1  Thank P M
Reviewed 20 March 2015

Went with friends who have dined here before and they had raved. This time we had waited 8 months for a lunch booking. There are two sittings 1215 and 215 - last time they had the earlier time but they said this time the later booking was more chilled. (Especially as we weren't rushed as another sitting was due in after us). We had drinks In the bar and a long time to look at the menu. We were 3 meat eaters and 1 non meat eater (who will eat fish). Plenty of choice for the meat eaters but on the mains then two fish dishes had an element of meat - they said they could adapt these to miss out the meat element. There is a potato 'risotto' on the starter that they would do as a main but I fancied the famous H&F chips so opted for the Portobello Mushroom Tart with Seasonal Vegetables they offered which was not on the menu.
They showed us to a table in a kind of booth next to the wine cellar - this is the table when you book that you ask NOT to be seated at. You can hardly fit around the table - it may be ok for two but for four it's very unsociable - 2 on one side, 1 on the other next to a wall and 1 on the end - but this person (me) had their legs right up against the end of the table. Fortunately we were first in the dining room so we asked to move - but so did the next 4 people shown to the table. The family who eventually sat there looked squashed in and they switched round during their meal.
2 of our party had a starter but they brought a little appetiser of whitebait and pickles and scrummy bread and that felt like a starter in itself. The meat eaters loved theirs - 2 beef and 1 lamb. The Portobello Mushroom Tart was WEIRD!!! The mushroom was like a pate on the bottom and delicious with some very fine pastry, pak choi baby onions, poss a few other things but the warmed lettuce and cucumber was odd - how this was seasonal veg?? The chips were delicious, I fully appreciate that meat is the thing for them but you do need to improve the vegetarian option - I had read other reviews and was already prepared for it not being a brilliant dining experience for a vegetarian but when you are paying those prices they need to provide more choice for non meat eaters - take the meat element out f the fish dishes it's off putting.
The dessert menu looked fabulous and would have been a difficult choice but we were all so full.
We had the basic house red wine at £19 which was fine. Coffee and brandy in the bar after where we were left to chill - this was lovely. The early evening diners started to arrive.
Overall it was great but not as brilliant as I thought it would be. It is relaxed though not dressy and essentially looks and feels like a normal pub - well it is after all. We saw Tom walk past the window when we were having our coffee so it was nice to think he possibly cooked our dinner.

1  Thank VancouverSeagull
Reviewed 19 March 2015

We brought the in laws here to celebrate their Diamond Wedding. Booked a year ahead, and as we walked in, the staff congratulated them on their anniversary, and made a real fuss of the happy couple. A nice touch in these normally unfriendly times! A truly excellent meal, in lovely informal relaxing surroundings. Well worth a 250 mile round trip!!

2  Thank pastyman1963