“Cake from heaven”

Ranked #4 of 73 Restaurants in Honiton
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 17 March 2015

What a lovely place to stop for tea and cakes (or more, as the main meals looked lovely too). Best cake I ever had in a café. Friendly, welcoming and spotlessly clean.

Reviewed 6 March 2015

We have had lunch in the Zest about half a dozen times over the past couple of years. However this is the first review that I have written on the café

As another reviewer mentioned there is not an awful lot of room in the café and the tables are quite close together. I think it could be called 'cosy'! It gets very busy at lunch time so either try to visit before the rush or just after, then you won't be disappointed at not getting in.

The food that we have had has always been good and reasonably priced. Most of the food is made on the premises and the raw ingredients are sourced locally wherever possible.

I generally have the breakfast and it has always been good. However on this last visit I noticed that the sausage was not so good. No self-respecting local butcher would have produced it! It was very 'bready' like a cheap frozen supermarket brand. I think there is room for improvement in that department. The rest of the breakfast was excellent. My wife had the special of the day, which was cottage pie and she said it was very tasty, as good as her own, as well as the trio of fresh vegetables which were cooked to perfection. The service has always been friendly and efficient.

A second small grumble though, there was no hot water in the gents toilet and the hand-dryer was ineffective, so some paper towels would have been nice. However, along with the rest of the café, the toilets were clean and well-cared for.

Would we go again? Definitely, it is a nice place for lunch.

1  Thank Winco47
Reviewed 16 February 2015

This Cafe is a regular stop for me when shopping in Honiton.
They guarantee the best coffee in town and some great home cooked meals including a 'to die for' rarebit.
Service is personal and there is always a good atmosphere.
if the number of full tables is anything to go by, other locals think its a great place too!

Reviewed 17 January 2015

We walked pass earlier in the day and took a look at the menu and then continued to walk on, when a very friendly chap said "you should go in, they do a fab coffee". So we did return later for lunch. I chose, ham eggs and bubble and squeak and that was because I saw someone having it. It looked fabulous and it was really yummy!! My husband chose the smoked haddock and leak tartlet with salad from the 'day specials board' and that was very tasty and fresh and really reasonable at £3.95 for a dish including fish. Most definitely shall return to the zest cafe that gives a very warm welcome and fresh tasty meals.

2  Thank Ward5_13
Reviewed 29 December 2014 via mobile

Upon arrival to zest cafe i was greeted by welcoming staff and a well presented cafe. You could see they took pride in how they display their menus and how amazing the aesthetics of the tableware was. They had beautiful flowers every table and a well planned out menu. I would highly recommend this little cafe to any passers by or people of Honiton looking for a relaxing lunch