The Saffron Hotel(Saffron Walden)
US$106
  • Restaurant
The Cross Keys Hotel(Saffron Walden)
US$83
The Cricketers(Clavering)
TripAdvisor
The Crown House(Great Chesterford)
Leggatts Farm(Saffron Walden)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsthe pubvillage greenstansted airportcricket greennice staybreakfast was includedclose to the airportstayed for one nightburgerpowerful showerboth dinner and breakfastgreat foodample parkinggreat roompleasant staffshort breaknice atmosphere
Reviewed 4 January 2018

We know the area, which is where our daughter lives, but could only book late. We got the last room which is called 'London Suite'. It is on the top floor above the dining area. The room was warm even though the Green was covered in snow. The bathroom and the king size bed were huge and drinks and dressing gowns were provided. However the stairs could be tricky for the less mobile.We only ate breakfast there because our daughter was providing all the other meals. There was ample choice and the cooking was good if not exceptional. Service for breakfast was slow probably because the hotel was full, but it appeared that there were not enough staff.
There is alternative accommodation at the rear of the hotel which would give easier access and less noise

Room Tip: Book early and ask for a room at the rear
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank IrishPablo
Reviewed 22 December 2017

Absolutely Shocking! I am really struggling to find words to describe how poor this pub is for eating food and it is a pub as I would only advise to drink here, as it has a pretty view. £13 for a burger which could be finished in 2 bites and tasteless, the bun was three times bigger than the burger. Boisdales and Hawksmoor (bona fide steak places) do one for £8.95. When we ordered two kids meals they immediately told us that the freezers were broken so no ice cream was available (which was included in the kids meal). When the kids meal came I couldn't believe, my 4 year old eats like an adult, and the meagre portions that turned up were disgraceful. A chipolata sausage, a spoon of mash and 16 beans. Yes, 16 beans... you could count them, so I had to share my meal with our children. They slightly redeemed themselves by telling us at the end of the meal that we didn't have to pay for the deserts we had which were also inedible...a 2 and 4 year turning there nose up at chocolate torte and sticky toffee pudding, that really says it all. Incidentally, I wasn't going to pay at all except my wife made me. I am a local and that was the third chance I gave this establishment, I will not be going back until it changes hands. There are many other places to try within the area so I strongly suggest you try them instead. Pitiful!

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 November 2017 via mobile

Have just returned from a romantic stay at The Cricketers Arm and we weren’t disappointed.
Located in such a pretty little village.
Our room was amazing. It was like our own little 1 bedroomed apartment.
It seemed a shame to be only staying one night.
The bed was huge. I think myself and my partner were in different postcodes whilst in it . It was comfortable and the bedding was spotless.
We had dinner in the restaurant and that was faultless. There’s a great choice on the menu.
We also had the breakfast in the morning and that was great too.
The staff were lovely, friendly an attentive.
I can’t wait to go back and stay again.
And will definitely be for more than one night next time.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 October 2017

Although Rickling Green is a small village it was a lovely place to stay and relax. The Cricketers Arms was also very nice, we stayed in the Lords room which overlooked the cricket green. It was a good size room with 2 armchairs and beverage making facilities. We booked for dinner for both our nights and the food was good. We only had a few problems, the shower door(big and heavy) came off the runners more then once and luckily without injury to either of us! We told the staff about this and the itv channel that kept pixelating making watching impossible. Both issues to be corrected when we returned after our day out. Well, on our return the room had not been serviced at all, no bed made, no clean towels etc and shower door still off. We mentioned it at breakfast and was told that the manager would come and find us, we waited 'til it was time to check out and than went to find him. He was apologetic and said this was very unusual and gave us a discount as recompense. It was a shame we had this incident .

Room Tip: the Lords suite had triple windows overlooking the cricket green and local school but very quiet. A few stairs to climb to reach the room.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 October 2017 via mobile

Lovely little public house with great food!

Had a lovely time. Rooms clean with very helpful staff. Would definitely go back if I was in the area.

Had an evening meal and breakfast and both were wonderful!

Stayed: September 2017