“Delicious Sushi with Caribbean Flair”
Review of Bamboo Bernies

Bamboo Bernies
Ranked #8 of 12 things to do in Maho
Reviewed 31 May 2017

Anytime I’m by the ocean I CRAVE sushi like no other, and Bamboo Bernies satisfied that craving and more. It was our first dinner stop during our more than week stay in SXM and it set the tone nicely. The service was friendly and attentive, the options plentiful and the food filling and delicious. The atmosphere was modern, asian chic and though we set inside, there was a beautiful shaded balcony.

I had the Sushi Dinner… a sampling of Nigiri pieces and rolls. It was so worth the $30 price tag. I’ve worked for a Japanese company where I was taught how to properly judge and appreciate sushi and this place does it right. The yellowtail, tuna and salmon were all amazing.

I also shared an appetizer of Shrimp Tempura with others. Where many places serve it either too heavily fried, this was a perfect light tempura with a nice crisp coating. My seaweed salad, too, had a great flavor that was unique to Bamboo Bernies. I'd never had a seaweed salad with a dressing like this and I was a fan.

I can’t end the review without noting the amazing sauce that was served with the tempura dish. I thought it was a peanut sauce but was told that wasn’t the case. I can’t remember what they called it but it was better than any sauce I’ve had served with Japanese fair in the States. Great for dipping the tempura, but I also (I’m slightly embarrassed to say) ordered another side of it to use to dip sushi. Apologies to sushi masters, it was too delicious to pass up!

I definitely recommend Bamboo Bernies as a dinner place for those that love sushi and find themselves craving it when surrounded by fresh fish. For those not fans of sushi, there are plenty of other options… steak, chicken and shrimp. This makes it great all around!

Reviewed 9 April 2017

We stopped in for Happy Hour & had some salmon sashimi, cucumber/avocado rolls, tropical rolls & the lettuce wraps. All were excellent! Bamboo Bernie's has some pretty competitive sushi. I also had the chocolate fondant cake with vanilla ice cream. Always a pleasure to dine here. Can't wait to get back :)

Reviewed 24 March 2017 via mobile

You go here for the sushi, you experience something of a lifetime! The staff at Bamboo Bernies is well-trained and personable. They have some great sushi selections, but enough on the menu for the "not-so-sushi" guests too. My wife had the count shrimp and she would get it again. There's a parking garage directly beneath the building that is very inexpensive, so it makes the whole experience that much better. Make sure to put Bernie's on your list!

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 20 February 2017 via mobile

Admittedly, I didn't expect to find good sushi on a Caribbean island. I was completely wrong. Bamboo Bernies is located in trendy Maho, and while on the pricier side, delivers creative, fresh, delicious sushi and other traditional Japanese favorites. The atmosphere was festive, and the wait staff were very attentive. I would highly recommend.

Reviewed 17 February 2017 via mobile

Bamboo Bernies has delicious sushi and to die for cocktails! Great music and atmosphere also. Great for the beginning of a night out!