“1 good visit, 1 bad”
Review of Bamboo Bernies

Bamboo Bernies
Ranked #8 of 12 things to do in Maho
Reviewed 24 August 2017

We went one night on a Friday and had a great time. Service was good, food was excellent, and the drinks were delicious. They had a dj setup behind the bar with a. separate sky lounge for dancing and the atmosphere was great. We loved it so much we went back 2 nights later and had a different experience. The service was incredibly slow, the place was empty, barely any music, but the food was excellent which saved our experience there. We even asked the waitress why it was so different and were told that it was their slow season and unless you go Friday or Saturday that it was usually very slow.

Reviewed 13 July 2017

On the 4th of July we went to Bamboo for happy hour, we have been going there regularly for years, we live on St.Maarten. They used to have a 15% service charge, this by itself is illegal on St.Maarten, all prices need to be all included, but restaurants in the tourist sector have been getting away with it, who cares its only tourists! But the service charge got canceled, with the remark on the checks that it was up to you to leave a tip.
This evening there where two lady bartenders that we did not know and they did not know us. After getting the check I saw they had added a service charge, and not 15% but 18%!
I paid, and only then asked where this came from, they had to discuss it then basically told me that they put it on at their own will, they did not know me so...... I tried to explain to her that this is bad for business, people are not crazy, and will get pissed off. To all tourist stop accepting service charges, it is not allowed, not even when its printed on the menu card, by law on St.Maarten all prices have to include taxes and other charges.

2  Thank Smith000111
Reviewed 6 June 2017 via mobile

Went out with my friend Belinda she invited me to have dinner with her at Bamboo Bernies the food was very delicious and Michael and the cute looking indian guy Praw I think he told me that is his name or nickname they were very nice and professional with the service and Michael kept serving me and my friend Belinda our drinks made us felt very special and it was my first time eating there for all the years I knew Banboo Berbies. I eat till my belly burst that's to tell you how delicious the food were and I will definitely come back again.

Reviewed 31 May 2017

Anytime I’m by the ocean I CRAVE sushi like no other, and Bamboo Bernies satisfied that craving and more. It was our first dinner stop during our more than week stay in SXM and it set the tone nicely. The service was friendly and attentive, the options plentiful and the food filling and delicious. The atmosphere was modern, asian chic and though we set inside, there was a beautiful shaded balcony.

I had the Sushi Dinner… a sampling of Nigiri pieces and rolls. It was so worth the $30 price tag. I’ve worked for a Japanese company where I was taught how to properly judge and appreciate sushi and this place does it right. The yellowtail, tuna and salmon were all amazing.

I also shared an appetizer of Shrimp Tempura with others. Where many places serve it either too heavily fried, this was a perfect light tempura with a nice crisp coating. My seaweed salad, too, had a great flavor that was unique to Bamboo Bernies. I'd never had a seaweed salad with a dressing like this and I was a fan.

I can’t end the review without noting the amazing sauce that was served with the tempura dish. I thought it was a peanut sauce but was told that wasn’t the case. I can’t remember what they called it but it was better than any sauce I’ve had served with Japanese fair in the States. Great for dipping the tempura, but I also (I’m slightly embarrassed to say) ordered another side of it to use to dip sushi. Apologies to sushi masters, it was too delicious to pass up!

I definitely recommend Bamboo Bernies as a dinner place for those that love sushi and find themselves craving it when surrounded by fresh fish. For those not fans of sushi, there are plenty of other options… steak, chicken and shrimp. This makes it great all around!

Reviewed 9 April 2017

We stopped in for Happy Hour & had some salmon sashimi, cucumber/avocado rolls, tropical rolls & the lettuce wraps. All were excellent! Bamboo Bernie's has some pretty competitive sushi. I also had the chocolate fondant cake with vanilla ice cream. Always a pleasure to dine here. Can't wait to get back :)