“Surprisingly good”

Ferry Boat Inn Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Ferry Boat Inn Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 21 Restaurants in Ullapool
Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 15 February 2012

Although a few things keep this from excellent we felt overall we had a great experience. The menu was very limited and apparently one of the fryers was out so food was slow in coming but the fish and chips was divine, and the sirloin steak with the mushroom sauce was delish. The creme brulee was a bit powdery but still lip smacking. We were abandoned for a large part of the meal as I think the bar staff were also waiting tables in the restaurant and one couple who arrived after us left before the got their food as the had been waiting for a long time (I suspect due to the fryer problem). But we will be coming back. The fire and sofas made it super cozy on a drizzly February evening. Just wish they would add a few more child friendly items to the menu, like maybe a pasta.......

Reviewed 3 February 2012

cosy pub with good beers, good food, open fire and great views

Reviewed 24 November 2011

My friend and I stopped by at the Ferryboat Inn in Ullapool for a bowl of soup at the end of October on a cold Saturday afternoon. Having been there some time ago I was not impressed at the changes made since my previous visit - what had been a traditional seaside pub with atmosphere had been "refurbished" to create a fairly bland "modern restaurant" setting with no atmosphere.
The first thing I had to do was return to my car to get a jacket as there was no heating on in the place. Then we were charged £3.50 each for a fairly small bowl of soup which we did not think was good value. We will know where not to go on our next visit to Ullapool.

1  Thank Dave P
Reviewed 17 November 2011

The Ferry Boat Inn refers to itself as the FBI. Thankfully there seems to be no link with any other organisation of similar initials. Situated at one end of the sea front of Ullapool it is an excellent stopping place for those getting on or off the Stornoway ferry or just visiting this attractive port. Meals can be taken in the bar or the dining room. Both have great views out over the water to the mountains.
Food is straight forward using the local ingredients. The fish is as good as it comes being just yards from the quay that it was landed on. Nice to find that the food was really hot and attractively presented. The chips were amongst the best I have ever eaten.
A good range of beers were complemented by coffee which was fresh and served in a decent sized mug. A well recommended establishment.

Reviewed 24 September 2011

A bit disappointed in my half lobster supper, it was a bit tough. Plenty of chips though. Overall the meals were acceptable but nothing to write home about