See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 16 June 2016

We stayed 4 nights at Te'ora (being renamed to Matavai) early June, which is slightly off season. It's now owned by a great local woman, Violeta. She was extremely helpful and happy.

When you arrive she picks you up at the airport, greets you with a lei and drives you through the small town of Hanga Roa to your room across from the ocean. It's very tropical with beautiful flowers and native plants outside the rooms.

The room is walking distance from town with sellers of produce, a wine/beverage shop and bread/pastry stores. There are also convenient ATM machines along the way.

Get the Ra'a room (paid in Chilean cash). There are steep stairs to get up to the room but there is an unbelievable sunset while sitting on the deck.

It has a nice kitchen and we cooked something fresh from the market everyday. I would bring your own spices from home and buy some canned beans and rice to in Santiago to supplement meals.

The other rooms looked nice too and did not require stairs. These would be perfect if you can't climb steep stairs. I think there is a shared kitchen for the downstairs rooms.

Equivalent rooms with this view and location are much more expensive. I would book it early since she is getting good word-of-mouth.

Room Tip: Get the Ra'a room. It has the best view and a kitchen.
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sherry H
VioletaMataVai, Owner at Te'ora, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2016

Thank you Sherry for your note. We are happy that your stay in Mata Vai enhanced your visit to our little island.

We would just like to explain that both the Mata Vai Nui cabin and the Mata Vai Ra'a cabin have their own private kitchens. The smallest cabin, Mata Vai Iti has it's kitchen on the roofed patio. A lot of folks enjoy cooking outdoors with the ocean view, so all our guests are welcome to use this kitchen.
Iorana

Reviewed 6 June 2016

This was a complex review to write for a couple of reasons. First, Te’Ora has been sold, and the new owners have changed the name to Mata Vai. However, the new owners have other properties on Easter Island and have not yet changed the name of this particular property on Trip Advisor, although I suppose they will. At any rate, we had no contact with the new owners, except for the son of the new owner and his girlfriend. I will explain how this complicated our visit in this review, which begins below. The new owners are the brother-in-law and wife of the old owner, who now lives back in the USA. See? Getting complicated already and it will get even more so

I first became aware of Te’Ora in an article in International Travel News. Based on that article, and that article alone, I contacted Te’Ora via email as I began to plan this trip. After checking a few dates for availability and aligning those with available airline dates, I made the reservation. I reserved the upstairs apartment at a rate of $120.00 per night for two people for nine nights beginning 25 April 2016. This is probably considered the low season. This rate did not include breakfast, since this is in fact not a bed and breakfast.

Upon our arrival from Santiago de Chile we had to wait for a very, very long time for our luggage. Nevertheless, upon our exit from the building there was Kimi (son of new owners), who gave us a lift to our lodging. The ride lasted less than ten minutes, even though we were driven the long way round to do a little sightseeing. In our instructions from the old owner, she said that we would be driven to a market on the ride from the airport, so that we could purchase supplies for our stay. This did not happen. But, upon our arrival at our lodging, Kimi’s girlfriend Vaitiare was there. We paid her for our lodging and she did in fact take us to a market to do a little shopping.

At this location, there are a total of four separate rooms, if you will. Three are downstairs and one is upstairs. For the downstairs units, there is a common cooking area, but the largest unit downstairs had its own kitchen, as did our unit. The construction at this location is marginally passable by US standards but I suppose it is par for the course on Rapa Nui. In the common area kitchen, there are holes between the wall boards, gaps in the concrete walls and just shoddy construction in general. This building will keep you dry, but there are rats on Rapa Nui, and these openings give vermin open and free access. Flies, mosquitoes, etc. can come and go at will.

As I said, we had the upstairs apartment. It had a bathroom, small kitchen, dining area and a combination living room/bedroom. First impression was that it was adequate; however there are several things to note:

1. The windows do not completely shut and lock on the west side of the house. The opening is not square, so it cannot close properly. This would be a huge security risk if this were on the ground floor. I still did not feel comfortable with this.
2. The floors are wood and they are very uneven. Walk. Creak. Walk. Creak.
3. The stairs you use to get upstairs are a joke and would never, ever pass code inspection in any country I have ever been in. They are unevenly spaced, quite narrow, have no handrail and in some instances tilt downward, making the climb with a suitcase a bit precarious. If you are physically challenged at all, do not rent this unit. And, once you get to the top of the landing, the boards there feel as if they are gonna fall through at any time. I weigh 250, and it scared me every time I climbed those stairs.
4. The windows are covered with roll-up shades. Not a problem except the strings were broken many, many times and re-tied with just knots, making it hard to roll them up and secure them. They are also very old, and shed dust and bits of plastic when they are in fact rolled up.
5. The oven in the kitchen was so filthy that my wife refused to use it.

Now, having listed all these deficiencies, I would like to point out a couple of instances where not having an onsite manager or someone locally to contact was not a good thing.

One morning I tried to take a shower but there was no hot water. I emailed the old owner, who replied and said she would notify the owner. Since this property uses bottled gas, and my wife grew up using that, she just walked downstairs and switched the valve to the full tank. That solved that problem. The next day the old empty bottle was replaced with a full one. However, the next morning my wife told me she smelled gas. I did not smell it. Again, I notified the old owner. The same person who changed the gas bottle came and addressed this too. I guess the new bottle was not installed properly. Dangerous? What do you think?

Next big problem: One Saturday evening there was a huge wind storm with lots and lots of rain and blowing spray, since this property sits right on the beach. It started about 6 PM and grew in intensity until about 2:30 AM, when it subsided. Now, I was a weather observer in the US Air Force, plus I used to give pilot weather briefings for the FAA. I know a bit about weather. I would estimate that these winds were blowing between 50 and 60 miles per hour. No big deal, except I was afraid that the roof was gonna blow off. Literally. It was shaking and moving so violently that there was no way I could sleep. Again, I emailed the old owner, who emailed the new owner. The old owner said that if we felt uncomfortable we could go to one of the empty downstairs rooms. Let’s see, go down those dangerous outside stairs in a 60 MPH wind while it is raining. I think I will pass on that opportunity. I chose to stay in our unit. No one ever came. No one stopped by that night, and there was no contact. Here is the sad part: the son of the new owner and his girlfriend live just two houses away from this property. They could be on another planet, and it would not matter. They have little to no involvement with these units or this property.

If ever there was a true emergency while staying here, I have no idea what you are supposed to do.

I did appreciate the location and the apparent value for the money of Te’Ora. But there are many, many budget accommodations on Rapa Nui, everything from tent sites to budget hotels all the way up to modern western-style hotels (which average between $230.00 per night in the off season).

If you choose to stay here, please do so with these deficiencies in mind. Was this apartment worth $100.00 per night? Probably. Could they spend a few hundred dollars and correct most of these items? No doubt about it. Then it would definitely be worth the money they charge.

On the plus side for this location, you can walk to the central part of the town in about 10 minutes. If you had to you could walk to the airport in 15-20 minutes. There are lots of restaurants in easy walking distance, and grocery stores are close by also (10-15 minutes’ walk). You can walk to the area downtown by the waterfront where there are several moai on display.

Consider all your options. My suggestion would be that if you stay here, choose the downstairs unit with the kitchen. It is quieter and more secure.

One last item I forgot to mention, there is a streetlight immediately adjacent to the northwest side of the property. It comes on at dusk and goes off at daylight. It is very, very bright and shines directly into the sliding patio door that allows access to the apartment. If you keep that dusty shade drawn, it makes a decent light light. Unless of course you don't need one.

Room Tip: This location is oceanfront, but not beachfront. There is only one beach and it is at the other end of the island.
  • Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LelandSisk
Reviewed 18 December 2015 via mobile

We stayed one week in the upstairs apartment. I am still missing those wonderful views of the ocean from bed and from the front balcony.

The studio was comfortable for two people with good cooking facilities. There was plentiful hot water. Linens and towels were provided including beach towels. The owner and manager were both very helpful via email and we were picked up and dropped off at the airport, as well as being given assistance with organising a rental car and recommendations on where to shop and eat out. There is a road which runs outside the house but we had no issues with noise and loved hearing the sound of the waves breaking.

The other apartments did not have such good views - it's worth paying the extra for the upper apartment! We would stay here again if we visited EI again.

Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 July 2015

I just spent two weeks at Te'ora. I was so lucky to find this place. I had booked a miserable place that I left on first sight, but a very kind taxi driver named Alex phoned to check if I could stay at Te'ora, and then he took me there. Very reasonable price. Very good facilities - I stayed in both rooms with full kitchens. Even a working oven. Great view from the upstairs room, although also a good view from out front of the other downstairs rooms. Great location, right along the waterfront, but close to all the shops and restaurants. Working Wifi ! Very clean. Vai and Mario were very helpful. Even though their first child was born the second night I was there - they still found time to help me arrange tours. Good knowledge of English.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms has great view, but other large room downstairs has better kitchen.
  • Stayed: June 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 June 2015

We spent four days at Easter Island staying at the Te'ora based on reviews from TripAdvisor. We chose it mainly based on the friendly staff, however, this was not to be. Email communication seemed very good. When we landed in Hanga Roa, we were greated by the couple but they were not overly happy to see us. After that, there was very little contact or help from them. It was even a struggle to even pay them. I couldn't find them to use the laundry service. No bedding was changed. The toilet bin was never emptied. They were not around so we couldn't ask about the best restaurants and such. They just phoned up for the tours and that was it. They just didn't seem to care. Included in the cost was transport to and from the airport. We were told that they would be busy on the night we were leaving but should be back to take us to the airport or someone else would come. Our plane was leaving at 12 midnight and we were meant to be picked up at 9. At 10:30, they haven't come and we didn't have a phone so one of us had to go down the road and beg someone to call a taxi. The taxi came and we got the airport. Also, we were staying on the second floor and during our final day, the people who were staying on the ground floor also took a taxi. I remember the man being not angry but kurt and I wondered why they had gotten a taxi when free transportation was offered. I guess they also were the victim of forgetting to pick them up. So when it comes down to it, you don't really need the strees of the hotel telling you they are definitely going to pick you up and take you to the airport and tell you to your face they won't forget and then forget. An absolute unforgivable trait as a hotel. We were very unimpressed.

No breakfast at all.

The views from the second floor are nice.

The wif was extremely slow.

Also, even if they weren't slack, I don't think the hotel was good value for money.

Do not stay at this hotel. Definitely go somewhere else where they give a damn. I wouldn't say they ruined our trip but we were hoping, given the reviews, to have the inside information on Easter Island when there was nothing of the sort.

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple