All reviews khwai river game drives wild dogs beautiful tent school supplies small river okavango delta a wonderful place to stay family atmosphere guide dennis mokoro trips audley travel intimate experience comfortable beds across the river special moment main lounge
Reviewed 12 May 2017 via mobile

We stayed at Sango camp for 4 nights. Wow it was fab. The staff were excellent. Beauty and her team were great. The food was excellent. Dinner time was a real experience with the chef calling dinner and detailing the menu. Then the wine maitre d explained the white & red wine . KB was our guide for the entire time. He was very knowledgeable about the animals & the region. The G&T's and snacks as a sun downer were a real treat. Our tent ⛺️ was well equipped and very cosy. On a couple of occasions we thought we were sharing it with the resident hippo. Thank you all for a wonderful stay. Xx

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 April 2017

Sango was the second camp we stayed in on our trip to Botswana and I have to say quickly became a favorite. The food was excellent, and we loved eating in the large common area, overlooking the Kwai river. At night you could hear elephants and hippos close by! The room was very comfortable with a large bed and all the amenities. There is a large sandy open area outside the common lounge which is a very pleasant place to have a drink and put your feet up. Frank, of Bush Ways, was our guide through the Kwai area and he was absolutely marvelous - a star-gazer and lion-hunter extraordinaire! We truly enjoyed his company, and benefited his vast store of local knowledge, which he willing shared. The bush was very dense, but we were lucky enough to see lions, elephants, ostrich, and many other smaller animals and birds. My one complaint - only an outdoor shower in the hut, kind of creepy at night with small creatures scurrying about.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lisa J
Reviewed 12 January 2017

Situated in the beautiful Khwai concession close to Moremi this small familiar beautiful lodge in the middle of the bush is just perfect for those who want to be spoiled and enjoy without high prize luxury ...the tents are clean, spacious and cozy with a view to the Khwai river, you can sit on the veranda and have a little safari on your own without even moving...The staff is most welcoming, friendly, joyful and all time helpful, the food is just more than delicious. Big highlight were the game drives- the guide was very friendly,informative, most professional and always in a good mood. Seeing those leopards was very impressive but I also enjoyed being in nature and seeing all animals, no matter if big or small...

Stayed: November 2016
BushWaysLodges, Marketing Assistant at Sango Safari Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2017

Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful review with our TripAdvisor family. It delights us to learn that you had a lovely stay with us, our staff is totally blown away by your feed back and they are glad that they made your stay memorable.

Reviewed 27 December 2016

I stayed here 4 nights and was not impressed with the game guide. I know that you have no guarantees to see specific game, sometimes you see game, and sometimes you don't.

My main issue with the game guiding was that we covered the same ground on multiple game drives. We stayed in the same general area of the concession, and we saw the airstrip and the soccer fields multiple times. Seriously, on our first game drive I saw the soccer field four times from four different directions.

Upon arrival, I was asked what I wanted to see and I responded with Wild Dogs. I don't think there was a serious effort made to find the wild dogs, especially when these guides can easily pick up the radio and ask other game guides who work the same area.

This is how they find the leopards and lions, through collaboration with each other. My first game drive in the concession, there was a report of a leopard. When we found her, I counted seven vehicles stalking this cat.

Now, if you read another review from a traveler who was there at the same time, he collaborates this same game viewing experience. You will see the owner's response about having limited access points. This response is a bit sugar coated as there are other access points.

Thanks to the TA forum, I knew there was more to this concession than the airstrip and soccer fields, so I requested that we go farther afield. Well guess what? We traveled down the Transit Road next to the concession for about 45 minutes and then entered the concession. Gee, why didn't we make this trip on one of the other game drives??

Thanks to radio chatter, we ended up finding a male lion walking by himself and a pack of wild dogs. We returned to the dogs that evening and they were not in the same area as the were in the morning, so radio traffic gave us their location.

I honestly don't think the game guide showed a lot of enthusiasm. He answered questions, made stops when we asked. Rather irritating considering what you are paying for this experience. I really wish I hadn't tipped him.

I think the tents are too close to each other, so you get to listen to the conversation of other guests or snoring. The tents were comfortable, but a fan would be nice as the tents are way too hot. Enclosing the shower with screen would be nice too. Mosquitoes were not an issue, but if they were, you would be bitten while showering, plus you would let them into the room when you come back into the tent. This place needs to be updated.

Speaking of screening, if you know the first rains bring out termites by the billions, then why not screen in the dining area to eliminate this issue? We were inundated with them one night and had to postpone dinner by shutting off the lights for 45 minutes until they died off. Honestly, I thought it was great to experience the termites, but not having to wait on dinner.

The morkoro drive was OK, but I think I would have preferred a game drive over this activity. Believe it or not, on the way back to camp my morkoro game guide entered the concession from a DIFFERENT access point and I rode on vehicle trails that I had not been on before!!

Another annoyance was the screeching that went along with some of the singing. Fantastic the staff sings for you, a wonderful touch, loved it, but the loud screeching at the end by one woman was a bit much. Once is enough, but over and over and over is annoying.

The location is really nice. You can sit on your patio and watch the hippos in the river (because it is way to hot to sit in your tent) or game grazing near by. There is a hide, which is more of an elevated viewing platform than a hide, but it is worth an hour or two sitting here than in your tent.

The food was good and there was more than enough too. The afternoon snacks were OK and but were not very plentiful. There was a well stocked refrigerator with all kinds of beverages. The tent was clean, the beds comfortable, just too hot sometimes. Laundry service was efficient and the room safe worked just fine.

The staff was fantastic and very friendly. They were more than happy to help you with whatever you needed, always saying hello to you and knowing your name too.

The big question: Would I ever stay at Sango Camp again? No, never again. I know I would have a better safari experience staying longer at the other camps that I visited than staying at this camp.

Room Tip: Stay with Kwando Safaris, instead of this camp.
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled solo
6  Thank Zebra_45678
Reviewed 5 December 2016

There's no escaping it, Sango is in a beautiful location, right on the front doorstep of the open bush.
Any animal is able to walk up to you as you sit on the veranda of your tent. This makes for a wonderful experience.
The camp itself only has 6 tents. For me, they are too close together and lacking privacy. The other problem is that there is no ceiling fan or any other means of cooling the room.
The food and the camp staff were excellent. However, the reason the travel agent booked this camp for me was for the wild dog experience in this area of the Kwai River.
The safari driver was nice enough and immediately asked what it was we hoped to see. Wild Dogs please!!
The 1st drive in the Kwai concession we did see a leopard which was great. The 2nd, nothing of note. The 3rd drive we went into Moremi reserve and found 2 lions. The 4th and final drive, again was into the Kwai concession and nothing of note was spotted, apart from the usual animals you would find on most safari drives in Africa.
We appeared to cover the same ground on all 3 drives into the concession area, as we passed the "football pitch" and the airstrip each time.
Now I know animals don't come to order but just felt a little more effort could have been made by the driver.
A guest who stayed longer than us who we met later, told us that he got a little fed up of going over the same ground and asked to go further afield. This paid off and they found wild dogs.
I suspect that part of the problem is that drivers become a little blaisay. Travel agents recommend a certain amount of cash per person is given as a tip to the driver each day. Drivers are obviously aware and used to this and therefore maybe don't need to try as hard to satisfy clients.

Room Tip: Tent No' 5 & 6 have more space between them
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gerry C
BushWaysLodges, Owner at Sango Safari Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2016

Thanks for the feedback, we will address with our team as we are passionate about providing a complete safari experience.

However, we would like to add, that in order to access the wildlife areas we are limited to the number of access points from the lodge, so naturally you will traverse these access roads a few times if you do a number of game drive.