“Delightful experience”
Review of Sango Safari Camp

Sango Safari Camp
Reviewed 30 May 2017

This was the third lodge we stayed at in our African adventure and probably the most rustic. But don't let that put you off because we had a fantastic time there. From the moment we arrived and were met by Beauty our hostess we enjoyed wonderful service throughout our three night stay. The staff are wonderful, nothing is too much trouble and everything is done efficiently and with a smile. Dinner is informal and relaxed, just grab a place at a long table, chat with people opposite or next to you and you soon become a part of a lovely atmosphere - the copious amount of alcohol helps as well. The chef will then explain the menu which was always very tasty and the waitress explains the wines.
Sometimes before the meal, while sitting round the campfire the staff entertain you with beautiful African singing and dancing - just brilliant. Breakfast early in the morning is around the campfire and then you are off on safari at 6.30 am. Can't recommend this place highly enough - you often get to see leopards too!

Room Tip: All rooms are of an equal standard
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 12 May 2017 via mobile

We stayed at Sango camp for 4 nights. Wow it was fab. The staff were excellent. Beauty and her team were great. The food was excellent. Dinner time was a real experience with the chef calling dinner and detailing the menu. Then the wine maitre d explained the white & red wine . KB was our guide for the entire time. He was very knowledgeable about the animals & the region. The G&T's and snacks as a sun downer were a real treat. Our tent ⛺️ was well equipped and very cosy. On a couple of occasions we thought we were sharing it with the resident hippo. Thank you all for a wonderful stay. Xx

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 April 2017

Sango was the second camp we stayed in on our trip to Botswana and I have to say quickly became a favorite. The food was excellent, and we loved eating in the large common area, overlooking the Kwai river. At night you could hear elephants and hippos close by! The room was very comfortable with a large bed and all the amenities. There is a large sandy open area outside the common lounge which is a very pleasant place to have a drink and put your feet up. Frank, of Bush Ways, was our guide through the Kwai area and he was absolutely marvelous - a star-gazer and lion-hunter extraordinaire! We truly enjoyed his company, and benefited his vast store of local knowledge, which he willing shared. The bush was very dense, but we were lucky enough to see lions, elephants, ostrich, and many other smaller animals and birds. My one complaint - only an outdoor shower in the hut, kind of creepy at night with small creatures scurrying about.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lisa J
Reviewed 12 January 2017

Situated in the beautiful Khwai concession close to Moremi this small familiar beautiful lodge in the middle of the bush is just perfect for those who want to be spoiled and enjoy without high prize luxury ...the tents are clean, spacious and cozy with a view to the Khwai river, you can sit on the veranda and have a little safari on your own without even moving...The staff is most welcoming, friendly, joyful and all time helpful, the food is just more than delicious. Big highlight were the game drives- the guide was very friendly,informative, most professional and always in a good mood. Seeing those leopards was very impressive but I also enjoyed being in nature and seeing all animals, no matter if big or small...

Stayed: November 2016
BushWaysLodges, Marketing Assistant at Sango Safari Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2017

Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful review with our TripAdvisor family. It delights us to learn that you had a lovely stay with us, our staff is totally blown away by your feed back and they are glad that they made your stay memorable.

Reviewed 27 December 2016

I stayed here 4 nights and was not impressed with the game guide. I know that you have no guarantees to see specific game, sometimes you see game, and sometimes you don't.

My main issue with the game guiding was that we covered the same ground on multiple game drives. We stayed in the same general area of the concession, and we saw the airstrip and the soccer fields multiple times. Seriously, on our first game drive I saw the soccer field four times from four different directions.

Upon arrival, I was asked what I wanted to see and I responded with Wild Dogs. I don't think there was a serious effort made to find the wild dogs, especially when these guides can easily pick up the radio and ask other game guides who work the same area.

This is how they find the leopards and lions, through collaboration with each other. My first game drive in the concession, there was a report of a leopard. When we found her, I counted seven vehicles stalking this cat.

Now, if you read another review from a traveler who was there at the same time, he collaborates this same game viewing experience. You will see the owner's response about having limited access points. This response is a bit sugar coated as there are other access points.

Thanks to the TA forum, I knew there was more to this concession than the airstrip and soccer fields, so I requested that we go farther afield. Well guess what? We traveled down the Transit Road next to the concession for about 45 minutes and then entered the concession. Gee, why didn't we make this trip on one of the other game drives??

Thanks to radio chatter, we ended up finding a male lion walking by himself and a pack of wild dogs. We returned to the dogs that evening and they were not in the same area as the were in the morning, so radio traffic gave us their location.

I honestly don't think the game guide showed a lot of enthusiasm. He answered questions, made stops when we asked. Rather irritating considering what you are paying for this experience. I really wish I hadn't tipped him.

I think the tents are too close to each other, so you get to listen to the conversation of other guests or snoring. The tents were comfortable, but a fan would be nice as the tents are way too hot. Enclosing the shower with screen would be nice too. Mosquitoes were not an issue, but if they were, you would be bitten while showering, plus you would let them into the room when you come back into the tent. This place needs to be updated.

Speaking of screening, if you know the first rains bring out termites by the billions, then why not screen in the dining area to eliminate this issue? We were inundated with them one night and had to postpone dinner by shutting off the lights for 45 minutes until they died off. Honestly, I thought it was great to experience the termites, but not having to wait on dinner.

The morkoro drive was OK, but I think I would have preferred a game drive over this activity. Believe it or not, on the way back to camp my morkoro game guide entered the concession from a DIFFERENT access point and I rode on vehicle trails that I had not been on before!!

Another annoyance was the screeching that went along with some of the singing. Fantastic the staff sings for you, a wonderful touch, loved it, but the loud screeching at the end by one woman was a bit much. Once is enough, but over and over and over is annoying.

The location is really nice. You can sit on your patio and watch the hippos in the river (because it is way to hot to sit in your tent) or game grazing near by. There is a hide, which is more of an elevated viewing platform than a hide, but it is worth an hour or two sitting here than in your tent.

The food was good and there was more than enough too. The afternoon snacks were OK and but were not very plentiful. There was a well stocked refrigerator with all kinds of beverages. The tent was clean, the beds comfortable, just too hot sometimes. Laundry service was efficient and the room safe worked just fine.

The staff was fantastic and very friendly. They were more than happy to help you with whatever you needed, always saying hello to you and knowing your name too.

The big question: Would I ever stay at Sango Camp again? No, never again. I know I would have a better safari experience staying longer at the other camps that I visited than staying at this camp.

Room Tip: Stay with Kwando Safaris, instead of this camp.
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled solo
115.1 km away
Sanctuary Baines' Camp
Sanctuary Baines' Camp
#27 of 73 in Okavango Delta

Been to Sango Safari Camp? Share your experiences!