Great Rift Valley Lodge & Golf Resort
Agoda.com
US$232
US$227
Agoda.com
Jacaranda Lake Elementaita Lodge(Lake Elementaita)(Great Value!)
US$96
US$94
Hotels.com
Sarova Lion Hill Game Lodge(Lake Nakuru National Park)
US$186
US$170
  • Breakfast included
The Ark(Aberdare National Park)(Great Value!)
US$117
  • Restaurant
  • Free Internet
US$64
Orbitz.com
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
All reviewsrift valleya la carte restaurantbush dinnerdirt roadself cateringthe cottagesteam buildingbird watchingbeautiful locationget awayconference facilitieshome away from homeserene environmentwild animalscrescent islanddanielwilliam
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 March 2015

I am not sure how many readers of my review would have seen the film ' a night at the museum' where the stuffed animals in the museum come to life at nighttime and pose a dangerous threat!
Well my second stay at the Great Rift Valley Lodge turned into a nightmare of the worst kind the first night of my three day stay. I was at our office retreat with more than 85 of my staff. The room I was given about a 5 minute walk from the main hotel building was on the top floor of a house with magnificent views of the rift. In the design of european ski lodges, my room was cosy and tastefully decorated. However, at 3 am in the morning, I was woken up by a heavy explosion above my bed following by drops of hot water falling on my face. I quickly got up and tried calling reception over a course of 15 minutes, but without a response. I left my room in my PJ's and started calling out for security. By this time water from the burst water tank was flowing down the walls of the room. No one was on patrol. As I summoned up courage to walk through the night and the sound of hyenas calling closely, I eventually made it to Reception only to find the receptionist fast asleep behind her desk. I woke her up and told her what had happened. No maintenance was available until 8 am the following morning. By 4.30 still in my PJ's and now with one receptionist and one security person in tow, I was moved to another house 10 minutes away, where I finally collapsed into a deep sleep by 5am. I received an official apology from the management on the lack of security and the fact that in an emergency no one had answered my calls at reception. This resort is not for the faint hearted!

Room Tip: Do not stay in the isolated 3 storey villas far from main lodge and without security. Stay close to the hotel rooms 1023-1074. Immediately on arrival to your room, check that the phone is working for security and in case of an emergency. Insist of being given a ride in one of the many Golf Cars and don't wqlk through the wilderness after dark. Bring your own torch with you.
2  Thank GENEZANNO
Njenga M, Manager at Great Rift Valley Lodge & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2015

Dear Guest,
We acknowledge the TripAdvisor posting above.
The underlying problem with the solar water tank was resolved and a new system has been put in place.
We have also taken the opportunity to re-evaluate the security guard patrol. As much as there was a guard on patrol, he was not in the vicinity of the room, hence the delayed response to the distress call.
As mentioned we apologized for the issue that arose, and internally we have taken corrective action.

Reviewed 27 February 2015

After a very bumpy and long ride along an extremely dusty road, I was slightly skeptical as we turned into the GRVL. Noting it's location away from the lake, I thought to myself, 'this place better be good.'

Alas, as it turned out, I was not disappointed...

As my visit was work-related, I cannot comment on the golf. However, the rooms, conference facility, dining room, and bar area were all excellent. In particular, I was quite impressed by the variety and flavor of the buffet offerings. I don't eat meat so I cannot comment on the carnivorous options. However, the salads/soups/vegetables/etc. were all truly excellent. I emphasize this point because, in my experience, it is rare to find buffet style offerings that actually taste good. Thus, I was pleasantly surprised to find the food to be outstanding! I also really appreciated the live entertainment offered in the dining room at dinner time; the performers were excellent and a pleasant addition to the already nice atmosphere.

A runner, I enjoyed jogging the perimeter of the property each morning, with spectacular views of the lake, as well as the surrounding area. Oh, and, of course, there were daily sightings of the resident zebra, impala, and a wide variety of bird species.

In particular, our group enjoyed visits by one of the resident peacocks, who always seemed to be milling about the conference facilities during coffee/tea breaks.

Although I didn't partake in any additional activities myself, I know that colleagues also enjoyed use of the tennis courts and the pool. And, the Lodge provided a list of local bird species in for the birders in our group.

Finally, the Lodge was also able to arrange an outing to Crescent Island [middle of Lake Naivasha], which we enjoyed en route back to Nairobi on the day of our departure. It was an excellent way to end an already successful retreat.

All in all, I thought the GRVL was an outstanding option for a group retreat and would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a bigger lodge with lots of amenities and convenience.

Oh, and I found the staff to be extremely friendly, helpful and cheery.

1  Thank doreengsage
Njenga M, Manager at Great Rift Valley Lodge & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2015

Dear Guest,

Thank you most sincerely for your comprehensive review of your stay with us.

We are glad to have hosted you and are glad and proud that we delivered on our ambition which is to strive to ensure we exceed each guest's expectations.

As you rightly pointed out we have worked at improving our buffet offer with new additions and paying keen attention on health conscious guests.

We are glad you also enjoyed your morning jogs. We have gone a step further to demarcate 2km, 3.5km and 4km jogging trails within the property.

Our excursions to and around Naivasha and Nakuru make for convenient access and we are glad that you enjoyed going to Crescent Island on this occasion.

Thank you once more for your visit and we look forward to hosting you again.

Reviewed 27 February 2015

I have had the opportunity to stay at the Great Rift Valley Lodge several time. This time though was special - I got a complementary nature walk (am a bird watcher) and branded tee shirt!
The staff as usual were very friendly and helpful.

Dear Guest,
Thank you for the Trip Advisor review above.

First and foremost we are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us
Needless to say, and as you well noted, Naivasha and by extension the lodge is a bird watchers haven with over 230 species in and around our ecosystem. This time of the year is especially abundant with both migrant and non-migrant species, and is a wonderful time to visit.

Thank you once more and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 27 February 2015

Nice place, local look, great services. Good place for a visitors of Naivashi lake, a golfers as well. Excelent kitchen, recommendation of a local red wine (Leleshva) from vineyards not far away from a hotel complex.

Dear Guest,
Thank you for the comments posted above.
We are glad that you had a good stay with us and enjoyed the facility and services on offer.

We have noted your remark on Leleshwa wine which is indeed an understated wine and one of the excursion attractions we have to the vineyards where it is grown not far from the lodge.

We welcome you again at your next visit, and would recommend that you also try our other Heritage Hotels units located in premium tourist destinations all over Kenya.

Reviewed 27 February 2015

As I write this, I hope the road construction to the lodge is complete. However, once you get there, you wish to stay some more. The green sceneries are well kept and breathtaking views is what welcomes you. The staff are so warm and the cottages are awesome though the network is poor. You probably need to check on internet and wifi.
My short stay was enjoyable and worth noting.
Thank you for your services and keep up.

• Stayed: January 2015, travelled on business

Dear Guest,
Thank you for the Trip Advisor posting above.

We are honoured to have hosted you during your recent stay with us. We are glad that overall you enjoyed your stay with us, and that our services measured up to your expectations which is important to us.

We have noted the comments on the access road state of repair (this is an ongoing project and we are working closely with the contractor to ensure the road remains passable even as they go about tarmacking) and mobile phone network.

We thank you once more and welcome you for another visit.