See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 7 August 2016 via mobile

Let's start with the positives:
Great location - next to Lake Kivu and easy walking distance to most things
Lovely surroundings - lots of nature in gardens
Good bathroom and hot water / pressure.
Staff are friendly, always said hello to us and got to know us quickly.

I stayed here for 7 nights with my daughter whilst visiting friends who live in Gisenyi. I chose the hotel mainly because it has a pool, it looks lovely in pictures and of location but I am afraid that the trouble started as soon as I arrived.

Firstly, I had booked this hotel in advance and paid in advance, I had booked a twin but on arrival was taken to a double, Reception staff, couldn't find my booking but once they did they did put me in a twin.
Room was decent size but handles were missing from wardrobe door and one of the bedside tables.
There were no batteries in remote for TV so had to change channels manually, but limited choice of channels anyway so gave up on that idea.
No mosquito nets which for us was not a problem as no mosquitos in room BUT patio door didn't close properly and windows at top of patio did not exist, instead a mesh to prevent bugs. This did mean the room was a nice temperature however it also meant that any noise from outside room went straight into bedroom. This happened EVERY night - we didn't get to sleep until at least midnight and then were woken at 6.30am EVERY morning. The design of this hotel also means that any noise from reception is funnelled upstairs to rooms, so if you are looking for a quiet peaceful hotel this is not the one for you. Luckily I had earplugs but I didn't expect to use them every night.
Breakfast was shockingly bad. It is ok if you like eggs for an omelette but I don't, so I was left with cornflakes - yuck, or fruit. But this was hit and miss as often not enough available. Breakfast goes on until 10am and at 9am there was basically nothing left even though the hotel does not seem overly busy. A few condiments such as honey would have been nice for bread, but sadly no.
The pool is nice, but only 2 sun loungers for whole hotel, so as we frequently spent time with our friends we found ourselves using pool at Serena (which is lovely).
Lastly when checking out they tried to charge me, but as I said earlier I had already booked and paid. I struggled to show them my booking and confirmation of my payment as wifi was poor. Eventually the receptionist did find my confirmation and it was sorted.
I would not recommend this hotel and in hindsight should have paid the extra to stay somewhere else.

Date of stay: August 2016
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 9 July 2016

To be perfectly honest, there isn't much to complain about with this hotel, but I couldn't give it a 5 because the value compared to other places in the area or Rwanda in general isn't all that fantastic.

• Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank Ranja R
Reviewed 27 May 2016 via mobile

Location is decent (next to lake and near a few good dining options)but for $100+/night, the place isn't much more than a bed and bathroom. You can get nicer places throughout Rwanda for similar price. Room had no a/c, so leaving windows open was needed. But there are no screens on Windows or mosquito nets over the beds, so sleeping was interrupted throughout the night by the pesky insects. The bathroom had no shower curtain so water from the shower ends up everywhere. These are the type of inconveniences that I would associate with a much cheaper place.

Date of stay: May 2016
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 April 2016 via mobile

Just ok. Friendly staff. Nice food. Swimming pool and garden is not big but lovely. Wifi is not always good. Breakfast is not so good. Bathroom is basic. Rooms are big enough with tv and terras. Nothing special to do or no animation in the evening.

Trip type: Travelled on business
Annabel U, Public Relations Manager at Gorillas Lake Kivu Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2016

Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing our hotel. We are glad that you liked most of our amenities and services. We promise to look into the weak areas to make them better.
We really appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed 12 September 2015

Our son's family was visiting us in Kigali and all 7 of us stayed at this great hotel.
They have a wonderful family room with 2 rooms and 2 baths right near the pool and restaurant. We spent a LOT of time in the beautiful pool and had a great time!
Clean, friendly, Wifi good in restaurant area, and the kids had a ball! The wait staff
was very kind and accomodating. Even did some laundry for us! Great place
to stay if you want to be close to downtown area and Lake Kivu.

Room tip: Rooms looking over the pool have their own balconies.. VERY Nice!
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank margie216
Annabel U, Public Relations Manager at Gorillas Lake Kivu Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2015

Thank you for choosing our Hotel and we are glad you had a good time. We pride ourselves in happy guests. spread the word and tell others. We shall be glad to host you again