See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 22 June 2018 via mobile

I've been to Gisenyi numerous times but never stayed at Gorillas. It was way nicer than expected. The staff are pleasant and went out of their way to accommodate us. The rooms are well equipped and clean. And the food was great!

Date of stay: June 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 June 2018

This hotel was the most upscale that I've ever stayed at in East Africa. Usually we look for something a little cozier, but needed a conference room for our large group. The staff goes above and beyond. Very nice, and very accommodating. The conference room is comfortable. The rooms are lovely. Nice balconies, fairly private. The showers are enormous! If you have read my reviews before, then you know I'm not a fan of short showers. These are about 7 feet high. It does feel a tad isolated from Lake Kivu, which you can hear but not see (privacy hedges). There are lots of great tourist shops to visit, and try to find Calafia for some awesome coffee!

Date of stay: June 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank Jacqueline C
Reviewed 15 April 2018

This is the first time I have ever felt compelled to leave a bad review for a hotel. There were only seven people staying in the hotel, and they nonetheless decided to put me in a room facing the street. They did this despite knowing that there is an exercise class that trains in front of the hotel every Sunday from around 06:30. I was woken up at 06:30 to screaming, and was unable to fall back asleep.

The staff did not speak English well, and were not knowledgable about prices. I asked them to find out about the price of a tour, and they never got back to me. The internet was also very poor, so it was hard to get work done.

On my last day, just minutes before I was about to leave for Kigali, they told me that their credit card machine did not work, and I would have to pay in cash. They then also said that the card machine does not take international cards. They had failed to mention this when I checked in and during the morning of my departure, when I would have had ample time to find a working ATM. I ran around town looking for an ATM, but all of them were broken. In the end, their card machine worked perfectly well and takes international cards.

There are much nicer places to stay in Gisenyi (such as Paradise Malahide Hotel) with private beaches. There is no advantage to staying at this hotel. Bad service, no private beach and very loud.

Date of stay: April 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank dgbrotman
Reviewed 16 February 2018 via mobile

Rooms are large, light, airy; with big private balconies and high king-sized supportive and comfy beds. Bathrooms are spacious too, with good showers and plenty of hot water.
Honestly, with a coat of paint, a ceiling fan or air conditioner, and some new grout around my bath tub, my room could be classed as luxury.
Reception was easy and porterage efficient.
Grounds are lush, with tables and chairs dotted around, although they were short a few sun loungers (there only seemed to be 2 - which the staff member I encountered did apologize profusely for). The pool was large and warm and you’re not directly in everyone’s line of sight.
Service has been friendly and prompt for drinks, snacks and meals.
Dinner was a standard Rwandan buffet and breakfast was actually a little better than expected (given we were not in high hopes) - a decent buffet including egg station, however no French pastries or waffles/ pancakes... oh well, can’t have everything at this bargain price.
It’s an easy stroll to the markets, the lake and other lake front hotels. WiFi was patchy for most of the afternoon but super fast in the evening - TIA!

Date of stay: February 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 July 2017

We are here currently with a team of 8 people for 2 weeks. For a hotel of this price they do not deliver on what they claim to provide. They have not maintained their generator (apparently). So when the power goes out for all night you can't charge your cell phone, WIFI doesn't work at all in the room, and is not stable in the public places that it's sometimes present. They choose to turn off the hot water (apparently) for 24 hours at a time. My guess is there aren't enough people staying here and they are trying to save money. Also one day housekeeping randomly took the fan out of the room to put in another room (not enough to go around). It is not "air conditioned" as I have seen advertised somewhere--that is a misnomer. Temperatures are generally comfortable, but a fan may be necessary.

Date of stay: July 2017