US$90
US$33
Priceline
US$241
US$228
All reviewsbreakfast and dinnernursery schoolfun environmentwhilst volunteeringmonth staysix weeksvolunteer projectafrican scenic safarisgreat bunchamazing safarii've ever metamazing countrygap yearone piece of advicetraveling experiencesecond homerewarding experience
Reviewed 19 February 2018 via mobile

My friend and I stayed here for a month and it was such an amazing experience. We really enjoyed our projects and felt like we made a difference. The staff all went out of there way to make our time there enjoyable. They were so friendly and helpful. Especially Tom and Whitney. The live in managers who were amazing. The nicect people you will meet. They were always there if you had any questions, needs or just wanted a chat. Hostel hoff was always super clean. The food was amazing. Elia and Jonny the guards did such a great job and were just super lovely guys. I would really recommend staying here if you want to do volunteer work in Tanzania. You will enjoy every minute and make friends for life. I will definetly be returning soon.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jodie C
Reviewed 8 December 2017 via mobile

As a young first time traveller I was pretty nervous about coming to Africa alone, and I picked Hostel Hoff because it seemed like a good place to meet people whilst volunteering as well. Best. Decision. Ever.

I stayed for a total of 9 weeks between October and December and within the first few hours of being there I felt like I had been living there years. The hostel has such a unique, family vibe, I met so many amazing people and I think that really just made the experience for me. We went on some awesome trips like hot springs and the coffee tour, and definitely recommend going to the beautiful Zanzibar if you get the chance!!

I volunteered at Vision Trust, a nursery school in a little town right next to Moshi. It was challenging, due to the language barrier and pure lack of teaching resources (plus I had never taught in my life) but it was one of the most rewarding experiences I think I'll ever have. I set up an online fundraising page and people from home helped me to help the school in ways such as having doors fitted and buying paint to decorate, new materials for the children. Amazing amazing thing.

Huge shout to Tom, Whitney and Mary who were so helpful whenever I needed anything, the hostel wouldn't be the same without them and everything they do, right down to hunting my comfort parcel from home when I had lost all hope <3
All the other staff are truly amazing!!!

Definitely definitely recommend for anyone looking for volunteering but also having the chance to meet like minded people from all over the world and somehow finding a second home away from home! Thank you so much you guys, going to miss Hostel Hoff so much!!!

A few little tips for those of you making the right decision to go :)
- bring a power bank! There were quite a lot of power cuts during my time, sucks if you're sat in the dark and your phone isn't charged ;)
- pop over to the Keys Hotel, you pay 20,000tsh (about £6) for pool use and the best pizza in Moshi
- don't stress about visas (maybe because I'm new, but I was so worried about sorting a business visa at Kilimanjaro airport but it's super easy)
- definitely get a Tanzanian SIM card and pay for data, the wifi is iffy but having data all around Tanzania was FAB
- have an awesome time (you will) :)

Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank 10mpope
Reviewed 21 November 2017 via mobile

I have just left Hostel Hoff after a 9 week stay through September to November.

The Hostel
Hostel Hoff is a home away from home. It has a real community feel and the fact I made so many good friends there, really made my stay. The accommodation is bunks in dorms or tents. I was in a tent and loved it, they are spacious and a little cooler at night which is a nice break from the heat. The beds are comfortable wotj mosquito nets (I would still bring lots of repellant and bite cream). The toilet and shower facilities are good and there is always hot water (apart from in a power cut, which can happen) the hostel has Wi-Fi but I didn't really need it as the amazing staff help you get a Tanzanian SIM and data. I would definitely recommend doing this. The hostel provides a good breakfast and dinner. And there are loads of nice cafes and restuarants around town for lumch. The hostel is in a great location, in easy walking distance of everything in Moshi. The hostel is very sociable, in the evenings we would watch tv and films, (some people) would play sports and there's always someone to talk to around the common areas. We had numerous hostel parties and nights out. I was never lonely and as someone who gets quite homesick it was amazing to feel that at home and comfortable.

The staff
What can I say. No problem is too big or small. Tom, Whitney and Mary are all very approachable, good people who help you out with the slightest thing. The cooks Jess and Vikki are excellent at what they do, friendly and work so hard. The guards Elia, Paulo and John make you feel safe as well as being so friendly and fun to be around. Ritchie the gardener is a joy and Baracka, Vanessa and Domina never stop working. I thank all of them so much.

The projects
I worked at Vision Trust Nursery School. The work is hard but incredibly rewarding. You get out what you put in and for me I will never forget the experience and amazing children. Tom helped me pick my project and was always there if I had a problem or needed advice and Whitney helped me liase with a builder to build a slide in my Nursery's garden.

Trips
I did the coffee and waterfall tour in Materuni which was excellent. I did find the walk a little tiring but most didn't! I loved seeing how the Chaga tribe made coffee and the singing and dancing was really fun.
I went to the hotsprings which is a nice day out with a beautiful spring and swim.
SAFARI was a definite highlight for me. The hostel booked it all for us and organised everything. The company was African Scenic. Our guide Jimmy and cook Goodluck were both superb.
I also organised my own trip to Zanzibar which was incredible and a place I must go back to.

Overall volunteering in Tanzania has been the experience of a life time and I would recommend Hostel Hoff to anyone and everyone. All nationalities and ages! Thank you Hostel Hoff- it's been unreal.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 November 2017

I stayed at Hostel Hoff 1 for one month. This was my first time travelling alone so I was very nervous! However, I was instantly greeted and shown around the hostel and where I was staying - in one of the tents which are very spacious! I loved my project (Vision Trust Nursey School), the amazing food prepared by the two lovely cooks, all the staff (Richard, Elia etc.) who were all so friendly, making you smile and looking out for you.

Within a few days you really feel like part of a family, it's such a lovely set up. Also, Tom and Whitney are always there for you if you have any issues or questions about anything at all.

There is nothing to fault at all, I was very sad to leave!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Monica B
Reviewed 12 November 2017

I stayed only 1 night after my safari, but I could see the place was super cool... Most of young people is staying here for volunteering, so ambiance is great! Lots of young people with great events, like bbq's dalla-dalla parties, ... The location is safe and the facilities are good, with comfy bed, mosquito-net, valuables-place to be locked, nice and clean kitchen.... I would stay there again!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo