Riana Guest House
Hotel Pison(Rantepao)
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
All reviewsthe ownertana torajadownstairs roomhis wifehot waterthe busclean roomsfair pricestayed nightsother guestshome staytour guidehomestaymotorbikecooksalleytoilet
Reviewed 5 November 2017 via mobile

The rooms were clean, but in the toilet there was a window to the next toilet so you would hear others do their business. Not pleasant.

The owner gave us a broken motorbike and then after some discussions still made us pay for parts of it. Very sneaky. Be aware.

He is a guide and if you don’t take a tour with him, but somebody else, will get very upset with that.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 November 2017

Appealing (budget) family run homestay! I extended my stay at Riana to 6 nights because I really liked it. Rooms are clean and large; bed and pillows comfortable. I had a room upstairs and yes, it got warm in the day (but usually you’re out during the day) and it cooled down at night, plus there’s a fan on a stand (you can move it around), so no problem. I presume rooms downstairs (cheaper and with cold water showers only) are cooler as they don’t get as much sun. I loved sitting on the balcony and admiring the lovely garden, a nice tropical setting. Downstairs also has a nice sitting area facing the garden. The water pressure isn't strong but it's fine to even wash your hair. I hate crowing cockerels waking me up but compared to many places I’ve stayed in Indonesia (with lots of them) I only heard a few cockerels and they didn’t bother me. Riana Homestay feels safe and secure too.
Daud, is really nice and a guide who gives good info and he was happy to answer all my questions, which I really appreciated. Daud’s daughter Hilde, is lovely and cooks up one of the best banana pancakes for breakfast. This is served at your outside sitting area.
Riana is down a little alley away from the main road so no road noise but it’s still in a really good location with easy access to everything. I hope to return to Tana Toraja in the future and I will definitely stay at Riana and I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 October 2017

We stayed nearly one week in the Riana Guest House.
It is a simple, but clean (and cheap) homestay.
The Homestay is located in a quiet street. To the (very busy) Mainroad can you walk in ten Minutes.
The rooms are very big and has a terrace. Only a washbowl (in the bathroom) is missing.
Every morning you get the breakfast (Bananapancakes and Coffee) served on the terrace. Amazing!
The Homestay is runned by a very friendly Family. Especially the young daughter was very friendly and helpful.
You felt like a part of the Family.

Stayed: August 2017
Reviewed 7 August 2017

Nice bedrooms, the beds are confortable and the woman keep the place clean. Possibilities to rent motorbike for 80 000 rupiah. The little deck is nice to enjoy your breakfast and chill with other travelers. The bathroom is cold water unfortunately the toilet had a bit of a strong smell du to problem of evacuation I think. The breakfast is simple but nice, coffee with banana pancake. Room with cold water 170000, hot water more expensive. We have heard it is a fair price for Rantepao. The wife who takes care of the house is absolutely lovely as her kids, unfortunately the owner Daoud made us feel uncomfortable sometimes. He was quiet ignoring our requests when we asked him advises for our journey in Toraja. He talked to us mainly when he wanted to sell his own guiding. It seems you are bothering him when you talk to him and we have noticed he can be pretty rude with his guests. I did not appreciate his way to talk to us sometimes. Good wifi.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Goffinger
Reviewed 4 May 2017 via mobile

I stayed here for 3 nights based on a recommend from a friend and my guesthouse in Makassar and was really happy with my choice.

The rooms are really spacious, comfy and clean with private bathrooms with lovely hot shower. There is no sink in the bathroom but this is really not an issue, you can just use the tap on the shower. There is also a veranda area you can sit and relax outside the room. Really good value for the price (140k for single person in double room).

The guesthouse is located in a small back street away from the main road so it is quiet but only 5 minutes walk and you're in the centre of town. I am a young female travelling alone and I felt very safe walking to and from the guesthouse even when it was dark. There were a few dogs barking one of the times I walked but they will do no more than make noise!

Mr Daud and his family were very welcoming and made me feel at home. He picked me up from the bus stop when I arrived, took me to get some food as it was a long journey and then let me settle in. Mr Daud also operates as a fantastic tour guide, either with his car or on the back of his motorbike, taking you to all the must see sites as well as some spots off the usual tourist trail. He speaks great English and has extensive knowledge of the area having studied and lived with the Toraja.

I highly recommend staying here whilst in Rantepao, the rooms are really nice for the price and you have a wonderful host and tour guide!

Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo