See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 12 February 2016

This article is not meant for Korean hikers or general backpackers as they will be used to the below par standards I will be complaining about.

Let's begin.
We (2 families each with a toddler) booked 2 double bedrooms and had to move rooms twice due to the smoke odor in, supposedly, non-smoking rooms.
The rooms are spacious with clean bedding and a beautiful view of the mountains. Unfortunately, the carpets are far and beyond their expiry date. They should be cremated and replaced (actually for the whole hotel). The room's bar fridge was empty, except for 2 bottles of water. The bathroom has a hand shower in the bath where the latter is big enough for a Westerner to take a decent bath. Unfortunately, due to the color and lightning, it was hard to tell if it was regularly well cleaned.

We requested cots for the babies. Non could be provided, we were informed by the receptionist. In this big hotel, she was the only staff member on duty/call for the night.
You remember that eerie feelings you experienced as a kid while reading ghost story books late at night? Well, this hotel provides you with the perfect opportunity to re-live them! Just make sure you book yourself a room for a night during the low-season.

The hotel only provides breakfast and since we arrived around 6pm, we had to drive back into town to get supper.

Right, the next morning we had breakfast which was excluded from our bookings. According to Agoda, breakfast (excluded from bookings) are 10 000 won per person. Next to the restaurant entrance was the menu which stated 17 000 won for American breakfast. I queried this with the receptionist, she made a few phone calls. We got our discount. (one of those things which makes you go, mmm?...)

For what you expect at a hotel, the breakfast was flippen poor, to say the least. It consisted of weak coffee served with creamer and sugar sachets, toast made with bread (probably bought at a convenient store down the road), soaky scrambled eggs with bacon strips (the sausage went missing), potato wedges and some plant stuff with what looked like some kind of yogurt topping. That was it. Also no orange juice.

It was hard not to laugh at what was presented. Just up the road the Kensington Hotel's breakfast runs for 17 500 won. In retrospect, we might have been better off going there...
It's not like the restaurant doesn't have buffet facilities, it's just not being used. There was no food to be seen anywhere when we walked in.
You order and then get served. Yes, I understand it is low-season, but we weren't the only guests!

I find it very strange the way management runs the Sorak Park Hotel (rather Motel?), or maybe it's just about making profits during the high-season.
Who cares about guests in the low-season? Or using the money to do some general maintenance before the place, physically, falls apart...

This Hotel's review score currently pegs at 6.6. on Agoda.
I give it a 1 (not that management will care the least though).
Just bring us your m-o-n-e-y!

Room Tip: Any room is fine, all rooms have a mountain view.
  • Stayed: February 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Hendri O
Reviewed 18 October 2015

This hotel needs a complete overhaul. While the exterior and the lobby give a decent impression, once you go up to the room floors, it's another matter entirely. The odor on floor 3 hits you as soon as the elevator door opens. Musty or moldy?? Floor 5 has odor also. The hallway as well as the room carpets are filthy. The furniture is filthy. We are a group staying here and in one of the rooms a roach is found. None of the safes work. They are all locked and the front desk won't open them. Some of the toilets and sinks are cracked. The breakfast buffet is marginal and if you are not one of the first people down there is no coffee. Aside from it's location near the park, this hotel,has no redeeming value.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank pbuntarl
Reviewed 16 July 2015

Location of the hotel is really great, just near the park, with excellent view. Nice well-equipped rooms with balcony. I work with my laptop a lot, so I personally liked that there are 2 tables and even a wide windowsill that you can also use as a desk. The only drawback about the rooms - they are too dark in the evening: not enough lamps, just 2-3 dim floor- or table-lamps, no lamps at all on the ceiling.

The biggest issue of the hotel is the staff, or actually its absence. Especially in the evening, with the hotel being old, it looks like it's deserted and all the staff is extinct - there is no one anywhere, even at reception.
Often when you try to call reception they won't pick up the phone. And even if they do, they won't be much of help because they don't speak English.

1) They give only one key for each room, even if there are 2-3 person living there which is inconvenient if you all go out and back in different time. We found it difficult to explain the reception we need more keys as they don't speak English, so we had to call Agoda and ask to solve this problem for us. The Agoda manager couldn't talk to the reception a whole day, because nobody was picking up the phone! Eventually the hotel refused to give us more keys and said to leave the key at reception whenever we go out. But as sometimes there is nobody at reception it all turned out really inconvenient.

2) There was a cigarette smell coming from the bathroom - somebody must have been smoking in other room and the smoke came through ventilation. We tried to call reception, but they didn't understand anything and hung up the phone. I had to go to reception myself and explain our problem using signs and gestures. They didn't understand me either. Finally the receptionist came to my room and called a plumber who - wow - spoke English and dealt with it.

So if you have any problem in this hotel - prepare for a quest of finding the staff and explaining what you need.

3) They have a large restaurant but it works only 2 hours in the morning and a few hours at lunch. All evening it is closed. If you want to have dinner - you have to go elsewhere. This was a "nice" surprise for us when we had to go out in the rain and look for some place to eat.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled with friends
2  Thank June L
Reviewed 14 July 2015

Good:
1. Excellent view from balkony
2. Big window
3. Bathtub
4. Two tables, 2 chairs and 1 stool. It's nice.
5. Beds are medium comfortable (some strange bulbs everywhere), blanket is good
6. ATM in lobby.
7. There are some sitting places outside (within the bounds of hotel territory).

Bad:
1. They give 1 key for the room!! We are 3 people, why 2 of us do not have keys??
Moreover - without key inside room wi-fi doesn't work.
They say - put your key on the reception. But WHY shoul we do this?? It's MY room, i paid for it, why should I ask my key every single time on reception?
And the worst is the next:

2. Sometimes (especially in evening time) there is nobody at the reception (now remember their advice to keep key in reception...). When I claim to agoda about my problem with keys, they try to call to reception and they could not do this during all the evening time.

3. Bathtub is tiny. Just mockery.
4. TV is ancient.
5. Balconies are too close to each other and there is no any separation, so if your neigbours and you go to balcony at the same time, they will be just 1 meter from you - eye to eye. It's bad.
6. Walls are very thin - if your neigbour turn on TV, you must listen it together with them... especially in night time.
7. The hotel itself is old. Renovation needed for sure
8. Wi-fi is slow. Sometimes just absent at all. If wi-fi finished in the late evening - that's all, nobody will fix it until morning.
9. There is no lamp at all on the ceiling. As a result, in evening time the room is very dark, like a cave.
10. Sign "Do not disturb" made in a wrong way - all the time it drops down from the door's handle. As a result once housekeeper without knocking (!) came inside and see me naked. I suppose not every tourist will be happy in the same circumstances.
11. Only 2 sockets near desk, and one of them supply wi-fi router. If I have laptop, photocamera, mobile, etc, what should I do?
12. Single bed it too narrow. Not enough even for slim man.
13. Without key inside room fridge doesn't work! All your food spoiled very fast. Who invented that wrecking idea?? For what I spend my money on the food?
14. Staff almost doesn't speak English. If you try to have some help or information by means of telephone, they could just intentionally interrupt connection and never pick up phone again. Very charming manners.
15. I recommend to staff to knock in door before coming in the room! Two times housekeepers didn't do it - they just opened my door and came in, when I was naked in corridor after bathroom. Is it some kind of stupidity? I don't know. If you are manager who is reading my review now - please, explain your staff how to knock at the door before coming in.

Stayed: July 2015
3  Thank Andy P
Reviewed 2 July 2015 via mobile

Stayed 1 night with my friends in Sorak Park Hotel. we had decided in this hitel as they provide free parking, and is one of the cheaper hotel to Mt Sorak.

The hotel is situated a 5mins drive to the entrance of Mr Sorak, or 10-15mins by foot.
The hotel exterior looks really old, and we were really curious about the interior of our room.
Arrived at the hotel about 6pm, and the lobby is empty. The lobby is really huge, and only 1 staff is working. Check-in was alittle delayed as they are unable to find our booking. We venture to a mini mart just opposite the lobby, and its empty! Apparently the lobby staff played multiple role to look after the mini mart as well. They even have a Casino in the hotel! I wondered if theres anyone there.
We got our room anyway, and the room is situated in the 9th storey. The hotel is still using the old key card system (long plastic card material with punch holes on it). Room was good and spacious and The bed is really comfortable. The bathroom size and amentities were acceptable and clean as well. There are good selection if TV channels as well, English, Chinese and of course Korean. I remembered watching some English movie channel at night. Highlight of the hotel is the rooms are all with balcony, and are all facing Mt Sorak.
There are some F&B outlets located just outside the hotel, hence no need to worry for your meals.

You should consider THIS hotel is you are looking for a cheaper alternative nearby Mt Sorak :) Thou its kinda old, the view is fantastic especially sunset and the backdrop of Mt Sorak.

Stayed: June 2015, travelled with friends