“Had a wonderful time”

Casa Marina Beach & Reef
Ranked #22 of 30 Hotels in Sosua
Reviewed 28 March 2011

This was our first time at the Casa Marina, and staying right in Sosua. Loved the location, you step outside and right into the town and the shopping, also there are alot of bars and restaurants right around the hotel. We had an oceanview room overlooking the stone terraces and the jacuzzis which was absolutely beautiful. The pools were great. The biggest pool is where all the action is during the day so if you like it a little quieter then the second largest pool is better and deeper.
The room was large and cleaned every day. Yes it could have used a little updating in the bathroom but this is a 31/2 star so not a big deal. There are two buffets which were good but a little bland. The ala cartes were pretty good though. Staff was friendly and efficient with very little wait at the bars.
Overall we really enjoyed the week and the hotel. We plan on heading back to Casa Marina next year. I reccomend this place to anyone with one caveat- remember this is a 31/2 star with good value but don't expect the moon and you will be happy.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Laffinsteph
Write a ReviewReviews (3,857)

Reviewed 27 March 2011

We went for our Honeymoon. I did research for sometime and this seemed to be overall a nice place.
PROS.
The rooms were rather large, no dressers but they had lots of hangers and a shelf in the closet along with tables to put your suitcase on. The beaches were beautful and the weather was great. Housekeeping was great along with all the other staff. The resort is large so your able to explore a bit. Games all day long if you're into it.
CONS.
I eat just about anything!! This I could not stomach. neither could my husband. we stuck to pasta every night. The meat was like leather. Most nights we went to the store on the resort and picked up a bag of lays or doritos and some m&m;s I seem to be hungry all the time, but it's because I was not eating a full meal..
TIMESHARE, TIMESHARE, TIMESHARE.........OMG.. they're in yellow shirts about 20 everyday walk around and beg you to come see what other reasorts they have to offer.. they'll try you all week. And let you know he makes 10$ commision on it. They will NOT leave you alone.
They also allow LOCALS in on the weekends. they pay so many peso and can get in for Saturday and Sunday. They are slobs, drink all day, rude, ate everything in sight and did I say RUDE.....!. It was like one big party on the weekend. I did not feel safe.
Note, if you choose this resort, cover your bracelet before you leave, everyone and everything will hunt you down on the road.!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Winky_Bella
Reviewed 25 March 2011

Just got back from there and i am so happy that i can write a good review. My main concer was if the food was going to be ok since my 7 year old daughter refused to eat at our vacation to cuba, she got sick everytime she ate anything but at this resort the food was great, my daughter ate everything and so did i- never once did we get sick, they also have a good selection.
Entertainment was good, not a lot of people so we got some peace and quitet- there were few nights where people were slaming doors to their hotel rooms but this is not the resorts fault for visitors stupidity. Beach was nice but it does have strong waves but the water was great. Maids very friendley, think our maids name was Francisca- she was super nice, everyone at the resort was friendly. There are a lot of people pushing you to buy things but thats everywhere, we went to town to get my daughters hair braided and i recommand getting it done at the resort, from $50US we paid $20US- they try to get as much out of you, after almost being done the lady said she has a lot of hair so $30US, while i was waiting with my daughter another lady said i will do just one braid for free for good luck, so i said fine- she started making a braid after a braid, i told her i didn't want any more and then she asked me to pay her $10 (for 6 braids!!!!) i said i don't think so! i think thats the only bad experiance i had there and that was outside of the resort. Front dest was also great, we arrived at 1pm and check in time is 3pm- we were told to come back at 3 but then the guy saw that we had a child and they put as in the room right away. I would visit this resort again for sure.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank melabyad
Reviewed 21 March 2011

We arrived on a Saturday at 11pm and left Sunday at 7:15pm to catch the plane. We had help getting to our rooms. The rooms were located at the middle pool area, one on the second floor about six doors down from the stairs and the other was way up on the fourth floor. Both rooms were clean and had a nice view of the pool and ocean. The air conditioner worked but was dated. My king sized bed was new and the pillows good. There were no face cloth replacements so bring your own. The shower really leaked on to the floor, but hey it's not like how things are at home.
Departing so late in the day made things a little tricky. On Sunday and Wednesday we asked if we could extend our rooms for the Saturday. They told us to come back Saturday and then said, "They are overbooked." They assured us a hospitality room, but when it came time to access it again they said they were "overbooked". It was disappointing and all of us leaving that night felt lied to. They kept our luggage in a little office behind the reception desk that is accessed from a door that anyone could enter through and not be seen.
The servers were nice enough, but all they did was collect your dirty dishes so there wasn't much room for interaction. The food was fine and typical (remember that the DR is not North America, so the food is different). The a la carte restaurants were fine, again not like home. We tried the Mexican and Italian (in the day time snack building). The other two buffet eating areas are open and clean. The other a la carte was a seafood place. I love eating outside and enjoyed the view of the ocean and breeze.
All of the pools were well kept, offering quiet to party atmospheres. There were plenty of activities to participate in from aerobics to darts to horseshoes to ping pong etc...The activities were supervised by staff who seemed to know what they were doing.
There were only two bars open and you have to walk a little ways to get a drink if your chair isn't nearby. Some of the female bartenders weren't very friendly.
I felt sort of "alone" at this resort, as if we were just numbers. It may be partially due to my friend who mostly sat in his lounge chair reading his laptop with earphones in. I tried to socialize and meet people, and learn from their experiences - otherwise I wouldn't have had much of a clue about the area.
I couldn't get a read on the locals/people and should have done some more background research on DR.
On Tuesday after diner I stood up from the table and had bad cramps. That night the cramps were like "contractions" as another MALE visitor perfectly described that he too experienced on the Thursday. My friend had some prescription medicine for that sort of thing and I took a pill in the morning and one again at night. I also stopped drinking the water that they provided and I never had the issue again. My friend had all of the same food as me, except he only drinks Coke, whereas I drink water, he wasn't sick at all. After that I drank Club Soda (no ice), tea (I figured the water would have been boiled compared to coffee) and beer. The beer is really good. :) I have travelled to Mexico and Cuba and all of Europe and have never fallen ill. It seemed EVERYONE at the resort experienced a gastrointestinal problem...you could also hear it at times in the bathrooms. Eeww.
The cups they serve the bar drinks in are DISGUSTING, I don't think they use soap when they wash the cups. Sometimes pieces of stuff from other drinks were stuck to the inside.
The grounds keeping was very nice.
The beaches are way too small, you can't walk the beach like other places. The ocean is beautiful. The waves were often huge and the red danger flag for swiming was up most of the time.There is nobody selling stuff on the beach. Instead the vendors all set up a few nights a week on the resort.
They try very hard to get you to look at their merchandise. BUT, there are representatives from a time sharing organization always trying to get you to attend one of their presentations.
I had more fun in Cuba, but then again you make your own fun too.
I hope I'm not sick from the dirty cups that I drank out of earlier from not knowing.
Every once in while there was a terrible oil/diesel smell and air planes flew overhead too.
If I had my own cup, a better idea of the region and more of a party buddy, it probably would have been a much nicer time. I didn't feel comfortable going out at night to check out the disco or just take evening walks around the resort alone. I am giving it the benefit of the doubt and would recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank DR_seems_nice
Reviewed 18 March 2011

If you are tired of the drab weather and looking for some sunshine.....DO NOT plan a trip to this destination. The weather and beaches here are beautiful. This all inclusive resort is awful! The rooms are disgusting. Absoluterly no amenities. Leaking shower, bathroom wasn't cleaned, sheets that felt like sandpaper, no locks on the doors leading to the balcony, no dead-bolt on the door, a staff that needs to attend hospitality school, and the food was disgusting! We went to the Italian restaurant one evening. We were served mini ravioli from a can. Not to mention that place is filled with prostitutes and cowboys looking to hook-up with middle-aged women. Their aggressive was very concerning. Run...run as fast as you can from this place.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends