Just stayed at the Casa Marina Reef for one week over Christmas Holidays. Overall the resort was O.K. The rooms were adequate and clean. We tried the Mexican and Italian "al a carte" restaurants and they were slightly more enjoyable than the buffet. Usually we were able to find food that was agreeable to us, but not always. The drinks at the bar were O.K. and the local Presidente Beer was just fine. Mixed drinks were "hit and miss". You just had to find the the bartenders that knew how to make them properly. The staff, on the most part, were very helpful. We would leave plenty $1 tips for our chambermaid and staff that were helpful. Remember that this is a three star resort and you probably won't spend a lot of money for your vacation here. You get what you pay for.
What was really disturbing was the "RULES"
1. We were not able to put our wrist bands around our ankle, as we have done at other all inclusive resorts. With an all inclusive tag around your wrist, you become a huge target for scams as you explore outside the resort. If you were able to put this band around your ankle, it would be much less obvious and would also prevent a lot of scratching.
2. The Front Desk would only issue one key card per room. this was a tremendous inconvenience. We have two teenage children, who would spend hours wandering around trying to find the one with the card.
3. They issue towel cards which must be turned in at check out. We had to ceck out at 1 PM while our flight didn't leave until 3 AM. We had to spend the whole day without towels, unless we were willing to surrender our passports.
We were advised that we could pay a small fee to keep our room until 8 PM on our check out day. On check out day wew were informed that this was not possible as the hotel was over booked. Front Desk staff became very rude and we experienced the worst insult ever, in all of our years of travel.
Management were only "RULE enforcers" and were not able to offer any discretion. They have no understanding of hospitality.
The "secure" area where they stored luggage was open for anyone to help themselves and when it rained your luggage and contents got soaked. If only they were as vigilant at securing our luggage as they were at securing their $10 towels.
We were unable to get a late check out. We had 11 1/2 hours with no room. They did offer a room to change and shower. Tis room was filthy and had no clean towels.
The Good things:
Lots of Lounge chairs at the pool or beach
The Beach.....Great Surf!!!
Location.... Three minute walk to most places in Sosua. Check out the VooDoo Lounge, a great bar!!!
Cabarette .... $15 taxi fare to this great funky beach town with good restaurants and bars.
Despite the number of problems and inconveniences we encountered, we had a great time because we enjoyed the beach and had some great company with new friends we met at the resort!
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Expedia and Booking.com so you can book your Casa Marina Beach & Reef reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Casa Marina Beach & Reef Resort
- Casa Marina Reef Dominican Republic
- Casa Marina Reef Sosua