“Loved the carved-in-reef jacuzzies”

Casa Marina Beach & Reef
Ranked #22 of 30 Hotels in Sosua
Reviewed 16 May 2005

Me and my b/f just returned from this resort few days ago (May 6th-13th, 2005) and thought it was amazing! PLEASE DON'T LISTEN TO ANY OF THE COMPLAINERS...

FOOD: We love the buffets, never got sick of them. The best a la carte restaurant we enjoyed the most was Jalapeno. For Sea Scape dont expect lobster, unless you pay by the pound. Luggi was ok.

BAR SERVICE: We had the best bartender, his name was Manuel....tell him Dan and Santa says hi! Be sure you give tips and they treat you the best! Whats a few dollars!?

ROOMS: The rooms were ok, our bed sheets smelt like they were not washed (sweat smell).

BEACH: The beach was good, although we had somedays where the waves were sooo rough! I really enjoyed sitting at the "carved-in-reef jacuzzies" that over looked the ocean...oooooo.......ahhhhhh.....and you're actually located in Sosua, Puerto Plata.

EXCURSIONS: We went on the Outback Safarari; that was great, unforunately it rained during the whole excursion but what are you going to do?! This excursion consisted of traveling to the country side where roads are made out of coral, very rough hehe, followed by stops to a family home, school (make sure you stop by the dollar store and pick up some school supplies), lunch and then a boat trip thru the Jessica River that leads to the ocean were you go boogy boarding! (Cost: $74Amer. w/taxes) Tour to Puerto Plata City, we visited lots of shops, an old fort, Rum Factory and the Amber Museum. (Cost: $26Amer. w/taxes)

SUGGESTIONS: TRY NOT to buy anything at the resort store cause we ended up paying $6.50 Cdian for 1.5L of Evian H2O and Red Bull was $5.50. Everything is a rip off. Try to bring your own snacks unless you want to pay double. And for all you beer drinkers, try to bring a pitcher cause the glasses are so small and if its rainy it saves you the trip of running out! As for walking out of the resort to the streets, I found it quite annoying with the people b/c they are sooo pushy trying to sell their stuff. I know they have to make a living but no is not no to them. Remeber that you are a tourist and that you have lots of $$ to spend and their goal is to try and rip you off. You should only pay a third of what they are asking, so BARGAIN with them! As well we learnt, the best way to say NO is to advoid eye contact and shake your index finger and say no and that should work!

Well sorry for the long review but we had a great time aside from 3 days of rain....we recommend this for anybody!

• Stayed: May 2005
17  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (3,849)

Reviewed 14 May 2005

This is a very short review of our experience April to May 2004 which is why we are re-visiting this year for 3 weeks.
Our operator was Thomson and we flew from Gatwick into Puerto Plata.
Flight - no probs.
Tourist Cards - buy them in adavance from the Dom Rep consulate and fill them in before you go or you will have to buy and fill them in when you land. It took me ages with 6 cards to fill in and the heat did not help.
Hotel - Was dissapointed to start with as it was raining when we arrived. Check in was very quick, was taken to our rooms. Very happy with them, they overlooked the hotel gardens. I chanced my luck in the 2nd week asking for 2 Poolside rooms and they happily moved us.
We found the Restaurants relaxing (emphasis on not being hurried to eat up), and food was never a problem either by choice or health. The waiting staff were so friendly.
The Hotel grounds were well kept.
The Beach had been attacked by a storm and we were told it would build itself back up again, do not know if it has or not?
We were advised by the tour reps it was safer to stay inside the hotel complex. What a load of rubbish. Crafty way of taking your money i'd say. We have 4 children and took them around the town and had no problems that we felt threatened by.
Enjoy this hotel, go with the right attitude and be polite and you will have a fantastic holiday.

• Stayed: April 2004
24  Thank 01152013f
owen sound , ontario
Reviewed 13 May 2005

My husband and I stayed at the Casa Marina Beach...loved every minute of it!...Great food, great people and the hotel was everything the reveiws said it was...(positive reveiws), true about the basic rooms, and also true about the wonderful character of the resort. I loved the fact that the resort is in the middle of the town of Sosua...we stopped by the Playa Dorada to pick up fellow tour goers and I noticed the lack of character. It felt like it was a huge complex.. Casa Marina, feels like a private dwelling and the attention is more personal. OUr room was way at the back , overlooking the street /sports bar. Some people might not find that to their liking, but we found it added to the flavour of the atmosphere. A chance to see how the people of the island reallly live. The grounds were immaculate, and the staff were wonderful. Even though we didnt' bring our children, I noticed the staff kept children busy and happy...I will definatly take my kids back there. The shows were incredible,, the young people are beautiful and all very talented performers...I cant' think of anything negative to say...and I think that if you are so concerned about missing American Food, maybe you should go to Florida!...

• Stayed: April 2005
15  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Boston, MA
Reviewed 9 May 2005

We have just returned from a 6 day stay at the Casa Marina Beach Club. I thought I did my homework in reading a lot of reviews regarding this resort but not one review mentioned the entrance to the resort. When we came up on the gates to the entrance I thought we were in the wrong place. I had read past reviews in which a writer stated not to get a room under the 1000 numbers. Boy were they right! We checked in and was given room 143 which was on the 4th floor. It was like being in a dark closet. Very basic room. The problem I had with this was that it was so close the the street that I heard the stray neighborhood dogs barking all night as well as people making noise outside of the building. We requested a room change first thing the following morning and even offered to pay for an upgrade. The guy at the front desk told me to come back at 2PM with our luggage. When we did this we were told to sit and wait because there were people in front of us. NOTE: If you speak spanish you'll be all set. I noticed a lot of the spanish speaking guests were cutting in front of people who didn't speak the language and it was really irritating. After sitting there for almost an hour I went back over to the guy I originally spoke to and he didn't even remember that he had just talked to me about changing rooms and then told me there were no rooms available!!! There is a girl at the front desk who is totally rude and I was tempted to tell her off but it seems that if you make any waves at this place they hold it against you. I found the front desk initially to be ok but as problems came up they couldn't care less what you wanted and acted as if you were putting them out by asking for anything. We were eventually moved to another room after much discussion that was on the ground floor and opened to the middle pool which was a much better room but our slider never locked and that was another nightmare trying to relate the problems to the front desk. They sent someone in to fix it but we realized the following morning at 5:30AM when we heard a bang and someone had opened our slider thinking they were going into their own room. We couldn't even make them understand what had happened. Basically we kept anything valuable with us because we knew anyone could just open the slider and come in to the room.

Also, bring your own wash cloths. They don't supply them there and hopefully you don't really care about shower pressure because there is none. I basically took a couple of showers outside at the pool area because it would have taken me about an hour just to wash my hair inside. Before we went out to the beach one day we left the empty toilet paper roll on top of the closed toilet seat so the housekeeping staff could see we had NO TOILET PAPER. When we came back after being out all day the beds were made, there were clean towels and the EMPTY TOILET PAPER ROLL was still sitting on the closed lid. I couldn't believe it. We had to steal a roll of toilet paper from one of the bathrooms and then call the front desk (again) to ask for toilet paper. It just seemed like it was one thing after another. We had no water jugs in our room and when we asked at the front desk (again) we were told to either buy our own water or go to one of the restaurants or bars and ask for a gallon which we then had to lug around with us.

The food is very basic. This was the first trip that I actually went on that I didn't gain any weight when I came home because the food was just so so. We didn't have any problems booking the restaurants. I thought the mexican restaurant was good and well as the italian restaurant.

Alcohol is soooooo watered down. The wine is like drinking water. I've been to other all-inclusives and usually this is the case but not as bad as this. We were ordering drinks for the first couple of days before we realized we had to ask for rum to be added to the drinks!

The pools, landscaping and ocean are the saving grace of this resort. Once you left your room and started going toward the reef side, it was like being in another resort. Thank god for that. There is another beach to the far left when you are facing the water. Its beautiful and very few people are at this beach probably because the stairs leading down to the beach are very steep and you need to be extremely careful in going down and up but its worth it. The spa tubs are awesome but I saw some people letting their kids bring floats in to them once or twice during the week I was there. Not enought room for that.

This is definately a 3* resort but I guess I didn't expect the service and rooms to be in as rough shape as they were. Would definately pay the difference and stay in a nicer place next time. The reefs, spas and pools and general view was 4*. Very beautiful.

If you are expecting helpful service and nice rooms you need to go somewhere else. The people working in the restaurants and bars were ok but the front desk was ridiculous!! Wouldn't rush back to the dominican republic.

• Stayed: May 2005
14  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 8 May 2005

Ok...I went with a group of friends (23-30 years old) for spring break this year because we are grad students and wanted something quieter than most spring break locales. We booked the hotel after much examination of this website and others, so we were at least a little worried. We could not, however, have been any happier. It is not a 5 star resort, but for the money, we sure did not feel as though it were a two star. This resort was well located in the Sosua area, it was full of great people, and the food was great also. We never had to wait over a few minutes in any of the bars.
A couple of "heads up" things, though, (1) the staff is courteous, but can sometimes be argumentative. This was where we primarily felt as though the resort could use improvement. Again, though, what do you want for the price? Besides, a firm tone will get you what you want. (2) Remember that the waves at the beach are a bit dangerous! I am a muscular, young 23 year old, and they were knocking me over regularly. (3) As far as tours, don’t do the "Mels" or the ones that are inside the resort, unless you want to do something like the monster safari, etc. A group of 6 of us basically took the itinerary from one of these places to the cab stand in Sosua and hired a cab driver to shuttle us around all day to the places for what it would have cost for just one of us to have done the "tour." Plus, if you want to leave early or do something else, you have that flexibility. (4) Take some Imodium. It didn’t hit me until the 4th day or so, but when it did, it was bad...so always be prepared, and remember that the food isn’t the culprit, it’s just your sensitive stomach.
One more thing, arguably the most important. If you do go into Sosua, and how could you not, go by the karaoke bar on the corner and ask for Fred. He is the nicest gentleman (American, too!) in Sosua, and he will set you up well. Even if you don’t like karaoke, he will take care of you and he is a real treat just to talk to. Also, eat at La Puntilla de Pergiorgino. It is pricey, but great for your last night. Ask for Buffalo Bill and his special desert drink. You wont be disappointed.

• Stayed: March 2005