“I don't understand some people....”

Casa Marina Beach & Reef
Ranked #22 of 30 Hotels in Sosua
Reviewed 4 October 2017

Just back from two weeks. Witnessed hurricane Maria, all the beaches took a pounding. Casa lost its beach front, no access to Casa's beach from either sides. Looks like disco bar and surrounding areas were under water. Unknown when that part will reopen.

I prefer walking to Sosua beach anyways and that beach had all it's sand replenished. At least 50% of the leaves on the beach trees, for some reason, died and have fallen. Vendors are still racking up but there is shade, just not as lush.

Dining was moved up to the reception area and that was fine.

You know....people complain about the hotel staff and food. As a single guest for two weeks I had my time to observe many guests and I find it incredible how rude some are. There is no need to give examples just some people have absolutely no manners and no respect for the staff. It has reach a point where if you smile and show some politeness you will receive it back from the staff. Otherwise why should the staff go a little farther with servicing you. I sure had great service.

I've cooked for over 40 years and I'm very impressed with the quality of the lunches and dinners offered. There is always at least one or two meat or fish items that are prepared well AND with great flavour. Mostly local style food with theme nights make for wonderful meals. Oh...the avocados with the addition of the house made vinaigrette is so good. Simple dishes as "Oven cooked chicken" cooked perfectly and of course they know how to cook any style of pork, fantastic!!. The stewed eggplant dish is full of flavour. Many times I would tell the chef and cooks when I see them what I enjoyed.
(do you think I got a nice smile back)

Some people just prefer hamburgers and K D...that's okay but hopefully theses are not the ones that complain about the food.

And for my last comment, some people will say they got sick on hotel food be it any hotel, well I can tell you for sure that it is not the from the food it's from using all the serving spoons that everyone is touching and then eating with your hands. See the problem there? That is the cause of illness, it's not the food.

Room Tip: Most rooms will be updated, they are nice now.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
7  Thank John L
CM_BeachReef, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Casa Marina Beach & Reef, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2017

Hello Dear Guest,
First of all thank you for taking from your time and sharing your kind words. For us it is a pleasure to be able to offer you the vacations you deserve. Sharing your experience and feedback is very much appreciated by us. We look forward to having you back soon for more vacations here in Casa Marina.
Kind Regards

Write a ReviewReviews (3,848)

Reviewed 3 October 2017

I have been to this resort at least 20 times. It really is not anything special. We go because we can walk into town and to the town beach. The food is awful, breakfast is good, can't really do anything wrong with breakfast. It is a budget hotel. We love the North coast of the D.R.

Stayed: May 2017
2  Thank CD D
CM_BeachReef, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Casa Marina Beach & Reef, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2017

Hello dear guest,
Thank for taking from your time and sharing your kind comment.
We appreciate your input and your feedback is taken into consideration. We look forward to keep having you back.

Reviewed 20 September 2017

We attended this resort in their "off-season" and, by the way they handled themselves, this is a time of year when they do not care about their guests. My husband and I witnessed a family blatantly acting out and disregarding the hotels' rules and, when we brought it to the attention of the hotel, were targeted by the family in question. We were made to feel incredibly unsafe by their actions (verbal assaults, shoving, etc.) and the response we received from the management was, and I quote, "When they hit you, we will call the police". We were not offered to move to a different resort, building or even room. In fact, the management then turned around and told my husband and I that we "shouldn't have said anything". We were finally given some assistance from our SunWing representative, but we will NEVER recommend this resort. As an aside, which would have not been something we would have complained about, but since I am writing this anyway, the food was INEDIBLE and had very few options. The restaurants on site were poorly constructed, way too warm for eating and the quality of the food was terrible.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Cim N
CM_BeachReef, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Casa Marina Beach & Reef, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2017

Hello Dear Guest,
Thanks for sharing about your experience with us. We would like to apologize for any inconveniences encountered during your stay. Know that your feedback is very much appreciated and taken into consideration in order to improve our hotel. We hope to have you back in the future for a second chance.

Reviewed 18 September 2017

the animation team was very amazing!! they are very sociable and sympathetic; they taught me ( and other tourists) how to dance bachata, salsa, meringue; they danced with us; played with us at the beach, came to discuss and ate with us!! they offer a lot of activities and are very nice; some memorable animation crew members are Esmeralda, Giovanny, Isaac, Louis...etc. they are one of the reasons that I liked my trip!!
hope to see them again someday

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank katiakaty2017

Hello Dear Guest,
First of all thanks for sharing about your experience with us. We are proud to be able to offer you well deserved vacations. We hope to have you back in the near future to enjoy more here at Casa Marina.

Reviewed 18 September 2017

nice holiday! I had a great time and the animation-team was very good. juliany was the best of all, nice smile and everytime good mood :). if you want a nice holiday go there !!! there are a lot of posibilties to do in the hotel and outside. the beach and the pool were very clean. i will go back there !

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank breitendielermatze

Hello Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. It is a great pleasure for us to be able to offer you the vacations you deserve. We hope to have you back soon in the shores of Sosua for more unforgettable vacations.