All reviews great manager great location hot water supermarket security tv bars
Reviewed 22 August 2012

Rooms are clean and cozy. Ben is a good guy and the security is great. The best part of this hotel in my opinion is the excellent german restaurant on the 3rd floor. The staff are very nice and it is open canopied to the outside. Great food at a good price. For the best american breakfast, right next door is an american motel/restaurant and you can't beat their breakfast anywhere in town after a hard night of relaxation :) On the opposite side is a restaurant, I forget the name but something to do with steakhouse, STAY away from this place. The prices are high, the food is low quality, and I was wondering why I never saw anyone eating there.

Orchidee is just far enough away from the strip so you can get a good nights sleep, yet close enough so you're not wandering down any dark streets at night. Is about an 8 minute walk from the beach. If you need anything at all, ben will get it for you or tell you where you can get it. Great place to stay and have a worry free vacation.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank Brian A
Reviewed 8 November 2011

I have stayed at this hotel on two occasions, it offers basic clean rooms at a great price. The manager, Ben and his team are friendly, professional, and place great importance on the comfort, safety, and well being of their guests.
The location of the hotel is great, close to restaurants, good nightlife, and 2 beaches. Ben is very willing to offer advice and suggestions on things to see and do as well as what to avoid.
There are no safes in the room but they do provide ready access to a safety deposit box in the hotel office.
I have been very pleased with my experience and will be staying there again in future visits.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
6  Thank DM12345277
Reviewed 24 July 2011

We chose Orchidee because we did not want to be stuck in a resort, feeling the chains of staying there because we paid for an all inclusive. Not having ever been to DR, I was not sure I was making the right decision, but was reassured by the many, many positive reviews here about what a great guy Ben is (I used a free language translator to read them since most were not in English).

I'm SO glad we decided to stay here (and I"m here right now as I write this). We rented the 2BR apartment so we could each have our own room. It's modest, but spacious with a living room, kitchen, two decent sized bedrooms and a nice, up to date bathroom (with HOT water - I read many reviews where the water was spotty). There is no air conditioning and I am the type of person who sleeps with mine on every night because I am a fussy sleeper. I did not need it; the fan and breeze were sufficient.

Ben is great. He arranged to have us picked up at the airport for $20 and came out to greet me by name as soon as we arrived. He showed us the room first, then helped answer some basics for us like where to get money changed (he has a guy come to you from across the street and stands there with you while the exchange is made) and it was only when I asked him how we pay that he addressed the question. He left it up to me whether I paid up front or later. I paid up front as it felt like that was the right thing to do and in cash. No receipt, no problem, no worries.

Right next door to the apartment there is a very nice resort and you can use their gorgeous pool. We bought drinks to just to make sure we weren't taking advantage of them.

People are friendly in Sosua, most saying "Hola" to you as you pass by. Quite refreshing considering no one does this in the states unless they know you. I have not checked out the night life because I'm here to scuba (also a great experience which I'll write about later), but there is a lot of prostitution and it's sad to see so many beautiful young ladies who need to make money this way, but it's legal here and people need to make a living. Oddly enough this has no effect on how I feel walking down the street, however.

At Orchidee, Ben rents to both visitors and locals. It so happens since there are 2BR apts. we ended up staying next to a mother and her kids who were very nice and friendly as well as quiet. As I understand it, it's more likely that visitors will rent the single units so if you want to feel a little more like you are staying with locals try to get an apt. We love it.

Good luck with your travels!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
8  Thank ClassyDemon
Reviewed 8 October 2010

Stayed at this boutique hotel for a week the end of September. Great hotel! Great Manager! Great location! Oh, and Great prices too. The rooms are clean, comfortable, and quiet. The hotel is away from the street, so the motoconcho noise fades away. Security is superb.

Ben - the manager - is an excellent host. Speaks 5-6 languages and will tell you where to go, how to get there and what to do (and what not to do :) )

The restaurant they have on premises is very nice too. Great food, reasonable prices.

Overall, I don't think you will find a better hotel for the price, as far as location, accommodations, and security.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
6  Thank Qua8Frankly
Reviewed 5 April 2010

I discovered this hotel quite by accident during a recent trip to the Dominican and was pleasantly surprised by what a wonderful experience I left with. The hotel lacks the stuffiness of nearby resorts and offers its visitors a welcoming, home-like comfort. Ben, the owner, is knowledgable about the country and places to go that are off the beaten path. The staff are friendly and are always ready to lend a helping hand. All in all, I had a positive experience and would recommend this to all those thinking of making the DR the next stop on their trip.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo