This is my fourth carribean vacation... 1 - Mexico, 2 - Cuba and now 1 -DR... I will try to limit my comparisons.. but some you can't help.... We were there the week of April 16-23.... and it rained... EVERY DAY!! but you cannot blame that on the resort. We were two friends ( 33 and 35 , both married ) and mostly wanted to relax.. and we met a ton of people and had a great time with the activities and the staff..!!
Resort and Rooms
Nice Ride - The resort is lush and clean and quaint.. very well marked. The rooms are not spectacular, but again clean and provide all you need...mostly quiet.
Speedbump - Lost power 3 times , the resort lost a.c. once and our rooms keys stopped working one night ( at midnight )
Nice Ride - G-E-O-R-G-E-O-U-S!!!!! Nice sand.( same in Cuba ).. great waves. ( I like the waves so preferred DR to Cuba) Nice and long for great walks.
Speedbump - whoever says you don't have to play the towel game lied... 6:00 am or earlier gets you front row... 7:30 or later gets you back row... 10:00 am gets you two broken chairs by quiet pool.
Nice Ride - Great variety and flavour... lots of fresh fruit , cheese, bread, everything you need. Heinz Ketchup and Mayonnaise. You can get eggs, pasta, pizza and meat to order .. really good. (food better than Cuba ) . We did 3 A la Cartes... La Cava ( Steak ), Free with our VIP and it was magnificent. We did Shanghai, which was good and Mamma Mia which was really good except we were slightly on the downside of a nice afternoon drinking and had a hard time to enjoy our food. We loved and could live on their pizza... !! mm mm mmmmmmm
Speedbump - can't cook a burger ( raw both times ) and somethings just get lost in translation... what exactly are "Potatoes to the Mold"?
Staff and Activities -
Nice Ride - very friendly group. English is their fourth language and fortuneately I speak French so I got to meet people from all over the world. Hi to Ramzi and Fet from the Eldorada activities team and to Geraldo, Ramon, Miguel and Santos from the Princess activities group.. We only met one of the Blu Club Italian activities group - Jose - and he was just eye candy .. mmmmm
Speedbump - none.. they were not overly pushy to get you involved, they were not too loud while you were relaxing and they would go to the night club after 12 to dance and hangout.. this is their "off " time.. so they let their hair down and have a good time.. as well they should
Nice Ride- We did not do it for the premium liquor... but I can say I enjoyed having some Kahlua after dinner two evenings.. and I must admit... It was cool when I ordered it and the guy next to me couldn't .... sorry! hee hee ! What we enjoyed.. the robes in our room... the blue towels in our room and not having to go get them at the towel hut. La Cava for free. and the 20 minute massage is worth every penny we spent for it. We also had an hour of free watersports but never got around to using it. ( now for the inside scoop... we bought our VIP online with our package and it cost us $80 + tax canadian each for the week..we are from New Brunswick... anyone we talked to from Ontario or the US said it was $300 + on line and they found it cheaper to buy at the resort.... $22 each per night or approx $265 a week for a couple.. so the lesson here.. buy it online ) . We found that you were definitely treated better with VIP.. they just saw it and it seemed everything went faster and nicer.
Speedbump - none
Shows / Entertainment
Nice Ride - some of the best I have seen. My travelling companion has seen the Lion King in Orlando and said this one was better than that! I agree it was great..! We also enjoyed the ice breakers and we went to most of the shows. As well when the show is done you all move to the lobby for some dancing... we danced so much that on our last night we were teaching other guests the Bachata and Merengue! Then you made your way to Areito for more dancing.
Speedbumps - only resort I have ever been to (or heard of ) that you pay for drinks in the nightclub.. yes they let locals in, but I am wearing my bracelet. I did not mind the locals at all, they are amazing to watch dance. My friend and I danced with a few and they were very respectful.. we danced with a few that weren't and we told them to buzz off and they did. We heard some other guests ( male ) complaining of locals trying to sell them " stuff " but we never saw it at all...
Overall, I did relax.. I did dance .. I shopped.. I drank.. I ate... I tanned .. I didn't get sick... I didn't die of mosquitos.. few bites but I wore bug spray in the evenings.
Would I go back to Tropical Princess? Probably not, but only because I want to always experience new things and new places. Would I go back to Dominican... in a heartbeat!!! ( only next time without the rain!! )
And two more quick notes... we flew direct with Sunwing.. Kudos to them... Champagne, hot towellette, choice of two hot meals, red or white wine, coffee or tea.. blankets.. lots of leg room, leather seats.. no problems...
The Punta Cana airport while lacks a little in security ( i think we went through the metal detector two at a time ) .. is efficient , quick and a breeze to get through.. 10 times better than Cancun and 5 times better than Varadero.
Thanks for reading my review... I love this site...
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tropical Princess Beach Resort & Spa has a Caribbean garden atmosphere with shade provided by palm trees, sinuous swimming pools, pleasant huts and all the other ingredients needed for an unforgettable holiday. The incomparable beauty of the beach in Bavaro will be found in this 4 star hotel, 25 minutes from Punta Cana Airport, with an architecture that complements and integrates into the beautiful environment, the quietness of the spacious light gardens next to the delightful swimming pools for adults and children. Its 164 superior rooms and 146 family rooms, our Mini and Teen’s Club and minigolf area put us in the perfect place for a happy family holiday. 3 restaurants (main buffet, Dominican and Brazilian), 3 bars and 1 snack, plus the access to the bars and pool of our sister Caribe Club Princess Hotel. The entertaining "Calle Caribena" with a large variety of shops and interesting offers to do shopping more agreeable, full equipped spa, a large selection of daytime leisure activities at the pools in addition to beach activities and water sports are complemented with the access to the Princess Tower Casino (located at Bávaro Princess Hotel) and Areito Disco. Wedding packages available. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Tropical Princess Beach Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tropical Princess Beach Hotel Punta Cana
- Tropical Princess Beach Resort And Spa
- Tropical Princess Punta Cana
- Hotel Tropical Princess Beach