US$311
US$56
US$112
US$71
US$60
Art Villa Dominicana(Bavaro)(Great Value!)
US$38
Eleven Palms by Inmense(Bavaro)(Great Value!)
US$56
TripAdvisor
3,629 results
All reviewscaribe club princesslirio buildingpunta canafamily roomdifferent themeswim up bardominican restaurantbuffet restaurantdominican republicteen clubguest servicesa la carte restaurantsanimation staffmain poolnight showsmain buffetspeak english
Reviewed 3 May 2007

My girlfriend and I spent two weeks from April 12th to the 26th. We were met by friends for the last week. We all had the VIP which I do recommend booking through your travel agency not at the resort. (cheaper)

First off I will start with the few small things that bugged me while I was there.

First, the Italians. I found them to be very rude and figure they had to be treated better than everyone else. One morning I really wanted to try archery and so I did. I went there in the morning when it opened and there are two targets/ranges. One range being used by two men (Italian). And the other being used by everyone else. In 45 minutes I got to shoot three arrows, while the Italians had shot well over 50. I asked them if we could use their range and take turns but they shook their heads and act like they didn't understand anything and continued to shoot. Very rude. It was a minor problem and I shrugged it off and continued on.

The only second problem I had outside of all the Italians was when my friend arrived into my second week for his first week. They arrived later in the evening and when they got food and their baggage we all went swimming in the ocean. We were lightly wrestling around when his bracelet caught mine and fell into the ocean. We went to the front desk at around midnight to get a new one. The guy said you had to have to old one or it was 50$ US. Long story short he came back in the morning and was very firm with the manager and finally got his bracelet for free. In the hotel room book it says they charge 2$US per bracelet. So just watch out for money scams. Most employees only earn 6-8$US per day.

Rooms were great but try not to get a ground floor room in the cayenne sp? building close to the 24 hours bar/snack bar, it can be very loud. Also the italian theatre, yes they have their own theatre, but it pales in comparison to the shows at the international theatre. The lirio building with the lower number, IE) 3201-3210 are closer to the beach and father away from the theatre.

Food is great at the buffet and I never had a problem with the variety, although I am not a very picky eater. The al a cartes were fantastic, although I wouldn't recommend the lobster pieces and the Chinese, go for the duck, mmm. The other restaurants I found really good and always better than the buffet.

Water sports were fun, catamarans and boogie boarding. Went banana boating once although with the VIP you get 1 hour per person per week of motorized water sports which include banana boating or a trip out to see the old tanker wrecked on the reef.

Rooms, fine, always clean no problems. Although on our second week we are supposed to get a small bottle of rum and three cigars (per week) and after 4 days of calling and talking to guest services in person I finally got it delivered.

The spa was great, we went the first week for our 20 min massage(VIP) and the next week we had to add 25 mins to our next one because it was so great. I believe it was 35$ for 25 extra min on top of our VIP. Very nice spa and massage rooms.

Oh and the walk to the lobby is at most 10 mins from the rooms if you walk extremely slow. it took 10 mins most of the time because we were always stopping to take pictures of the beautiful scenery and animals.

Theatre shows are extremely good and the Icebreaker show is always funny. Sit in the front row and its a sure thing you will get on stage once or twice.

The Dominican staff are very friendly...not much to say about the Italians. The pool bar is great...can get in real trouble there.

Overall I would go back in a heartbeat, but I think I might try something else in punta cana as this is my first time down there so I can compare. But any questions, send me a message. will try and get back to you asap.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
9  Thank CamShafter
Reviewed 2 May 2007

We had the pleasure of enjoying a great week - April 10-17/07 - at Tropical Princess. We enjoyed everything that the resort had to offer - the beach, the food, the entertainment, the drinks and the new friends that we made. It was an experience.

Preface to say that we would go back but there are issues that should be addressed to help make the trip and the time at the resort as enjoyable as one expects it to be. The following comments are intended to be viewed as constructive commentary with the pupose being that improvements can be made.

It was a beautiful resort but be aware that it shares common facilities with Caribe Club Princess - same site but 2 resorts. We were told that there are approx 55 resorts in Punta Cana and that they are located on approx 20 sites. Thus many resorts share common facilities.

We flew down on Sunwing after leaving Toronto at 6:30 am. This was the first concern we had given that we were told the flight leaves at 6:10 am and that we should be at the airport 3 hours prior to departure 3:00 am. The reason we did not leave until 6:30 am was because regulations prohibit departures before 6:30 am. So why doesn't Sunwing adjust its schedule accordingly and indicate departure as 6:30 am.

This early departure also become a problem on arrival at the resort. We arrived at 11:30 but check-in is at 3:00 pm. Again, why does Sunwing have such an early departure schedule when you can't even get into your room until 3:00 pm.

Once we got to our room and on to the beach, all the recliner chairs were "occupied". Like many others who have commented before, you have to get to the beach at 6:30 -7:00 am to "reserve" beach chairs and sombrias. We were surprised, actually we were appalled, at how many of these chairs/sombrias were "reserved" yet not occupied for the entire day. This was evident the entire week that we were there. The resort management should have at look at this problem and ensure that, first, there are enough chairs for the number of guests at the resort for that week and, second, that using security staff, chairs that are not occupied for considerable period of time (over 2 hours) be made available to those who have come to spend time on the beach.

We also had an issue with towels in our room - either no towels at all on arrival, only 2 sets of towels when there were 3 of us in the room, etc. As a suggestion aimed at basic custormer service, management should advise housekeeping how many are staying in each room so that we do not have to go chasing after housekeeping for towels.

Sunwing should also adjust is departure from Punta Cana as that was some experience having to leave the resort at 7:30 am (before breakfast) and sit at the airport for 3 hours (why such a long time) when we could have left the resort at a more reasonable time (after all,check out at the hotel is 12:00 noon) given that the processing at the airport did not require 3 hours.

RsPToronto

• Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank RsPToronto
Reviewed 27 April 2007

Let me start by saying that this was the fifth time that my family has stayed in Punta Cana, and we have loved it each time- OBVIOUSLY! I’m a 19 year old girl, my brother is 30, and my parents are in their mid-50s, early 60s. So it’s safe to say that we covered all age groups, except for the little ones, but I can tell you that I

I’ll start by telling you things that you won't find in other reviews, and then talk about the usual things (food, beach, room, etc.) The Princess Chain is just like Riu, or Barcelo, both of which I have previously been to.
If you speak Italian then Tropical Princess is for you! They have their own section of the beach, and night-time entertainment, which is right next to the main restaurant. The Beach is divided into 2 parts, 1/3 is for the Italians and the other 2/3rds are for Caribe Club, because they have more people staying there. At Tropical Princess all the games are catered to Italians, and there is no translations, it just all in Italian. I wasn’t aware of this when booking, so I booked for that hotel. Luckily Caribe Club Princess is right next door, and we did everything with them. That is where most of you will want to book, because they are like any other hotel chain. If you are French, or speak French you’ll love Caribe Club even more. 45% of all the people staying at Caribe Club are French, and 25% are North American (I asked the Animation Team). There is a group of French-speaking workers who are a team with the Animation guys, and they are from “El dorado” or something like that. There are about 3 guys, and 3 girls, and they work in the mini-club (for kids) as well as teach the water aerobics and all the other things that the Animation team does.
Now on to the actual resort…
When you arrive at the Princess hotel you will be AMAZED at the lobby. It is spacious, and if you are a night-life person, you will spend most of your evening around there. When entering the resort you will see the tennis courts to your right, and just behind it is the disco. When you pass the lobby again on the right is the entertainment area, which is where they have their big shows. While I was staying there I saw their version of the play “The Lion King” and they had some other great shows, all professionally choreographed. You can either take their mini-train or walk to your room, where you will meet a fork in the road. This is where Caribe and Tropical separate, but you’ll soon see that they are right next to each other! (the only thing that separates them are the mutual dinning areas) walk a bit further an you will see your main pool, beach bar and grill (with never ending meals- nachos, roasted chicken, burgers, fries, and of course all you can drink services). Lastly, you will see the beautiful beach with little shade areas, which people reserve, even though it says you are not supposed to, and the clear ocean! (Pictures do not do the beach service! The waves are AMAZING! And you could stay in there forever!)

ROOMS:
If you do decide to stay at the Tropical Princess, stay in the beginning of the 3000s. That’s where I was, and we were the closest to the beach, and everything else for that matter. But really, it doesn’t matter, because everything is so close to everything else. The room I shared with my brother had two queen sized beds, and a nice big washroom, which was actually bigger than our parents! There was a connecting door for my parents and us, that we used all the time, for wake-up calls, etc. My parent’s room was really big, having a king sized bed, and a patio to put clothes out to dry, which we didn’t have.
RESTURANT:
The main restaurant is steps away from all the hotel rooms. The service is prompt and the people working there become your best friends in no time. There was this one guy who would cut the fresh fruit, and I don’t know if he liked me, but he would cut half of a papaya for me, and a whole mango for me, so that I wouldn’t have to choose from pieces that everyone else chose from. (Did I mention that was before the tip?) There was a variety of food to choose from. “Staples” that you could count on were their soups (they were really good!) and the variety of thin crust pizzas that were inhaled by guests. There was always something special there, usually based on the theme of the night (Italian, Asian, Seafood, etc.)
BEACH:
Pure white sand and clear blue ocean. Not enough for you? OK! Wake up EARLY!!!! Even if you have to wake up at 5am, and then go back to bed. You want to get your spot early in the morning, whether it’s near the pool, or someone on the beach. Don’t expect to wake up at 11 and find a place. Good luck with that! Just before you go on the beach you will see an activity booth, which is where the Animation team is. They give you your towels from 9am-6pm. But don’t expect a new towel at 6pm, you might not even get a card, in which case they’ll put your room number and the amount of towels you need on a paper, and give it to you the next day (can you tell that I hung out there a lot?) At the Activity booth you can borrow beach volleyballs, pool volleyballs, putters for mini-golf, and they had something that looked like mini-tennis rackets, that you can use at the volleyball court. The grill at the pool has a washroom to the right of it that is ALWAYS in use, and has a line of at least 2 people. But at the grill, the food is great if you are too lazy to go to the main restaurant to have lunch. You can have hotdogs, burgers, nachos, roasted chicken, these crunchy meat-filled crispy things (the technical term) and pizza.

NIGHTLIFE:
At 9:45 they start their “ICE BREAKER SHOW” which is about 20 mins. Then they give out the certificates for the games that were played all day. Their night-shows last till about 11. After that, everyone goes to the lobby, and they party till 12. Those parties were fun, you get to see some great dancers, and if you’re too old to go to the club, or your kids don’t want you coming to the club with them (Like I said to my parents) then this is your time to have fun. I would dance with my dad all the time here, and we had a ball! Next, everyone goes to the club, which makes you pay for drinks, since locals can get it. Don’t worry, it’s still safe. There are too rooms. The first room plays Euro music, which has hardly anyone in there, and it ends up becoming the room that people go to make-out in. The other room plays EVERYTHING and has a cool black-light, so wear white, it looks really hot!

Do me a favour; say hi to Jonathan, Victor, Eric, Fez, Ramzi, J-Louis (aka JLo) Julio, Geraldo, Santo, and all the other Animation guys for me. Tell them their Indian Princess says hi.
ANIMATION
Julio is like the head of these guys, even though he’s 3rd in command, really nice guy, and is there to make your stay as funny as possible. He does this funny horse impression and really knows how to make funny facial expressions (you’ll want pictures of that!)
Jonathan hits on EVERY GIRL! (no matter what age!) and expects you to ask how he is, before you ask for your towels. Just say hi, how are you, and then tell him how many towels you need. DO NOT TIP HIM! He gets insulted if you give him a dollar ( I saw his reaction after someone did)
Victor is this young guy who just started working there. His English isn’t all that great, but he’s a quick learner. He will dance with anyone who wants to learn, and he’s a great teacher. He and Geraldo are like best friends, and both are willing to do anything to make sure you have a great time. Geraldo is so funny, and can dance!
Eric and Santo are the DJs there, and they do the music at the night-shows, and at the lobby parties. They play GREAT music there.
Fez, JLo and Ramzi are French workers, but are so nice. Fez runs the ping pong, and all three do the translations for a lot of what goes on there.
Hope this helps. If you have any other questions e-mail me at desouza.c@hotmail.com

15  Thank chocolategurl88
Reviewed 25 April 2007

This is a lovely resort with very well maintained grounds. They are spotless. It almost feels like you are in a national park setting. In the front section of the grounds is a mango tree perserve. The staff is real friendly, much better than cuba. The food is fine. The one night the 12 of us went to one of the a la carte restarants the food was sub par so we decided to stick with the buffett which had a different theme every night. THe resort has three pools which we really liked. They go from extremely noisy to very quite. The beach here is teuly magnificant. LOng ,wide and pretty clean. THe sand is white and fine and the water very warm. The rooms, well not that great but ok. Try to get in the newest section for a better room. Did I say we where there April 12 - 19, 2007.

4  Thank CalgaryKell
Reviewed 24 April 2007

We were very happy with our week at the Tropical Princess!

We travelled from East Coast Canada via Sunwing, and were impressed with this charter airline and its services. We were offered champagne, a meal with wine, and complimentary drinks (non-alcoholic) and snacks on the outward flight, with the same, sans champagne, on the return to Canada. We had prepaid for seats with extra legroom, and were happy we had done so....loads of room!

Tropical Princess, and its sister resort Caribe Club Princess, function as one large resort, with guests having access to all facilities, although having to pay a little extra, sometimes, if you had not paid for VIP service.

Our room was spotless, and had two double beds - very, very comfortable. Housekeeping service was great.

We used only one of the three large, free form pools at this resort, and found it clean and cool - but not too cool!

The beach is beautiful, and we spent a lot of time floating around in the azure ocean - we were very surprised at the large number of people who don't seem to stick even one toe in the water, at any time!

The resort is lovely, with well landscaped grounds, prowling peacocks
and other birds, a few small shops to buy things at greatly inflated prices (by my reckoning, suntan lotion would set you back about $25 or $30 US, so take lots from home!), pretty buildings, friendly staff.

We could always find something good to eat (although we were not brave enough to sample some of the more exotic offerings) and I am still dreaming about the flan available at this resort. La Creperie was great for an afternoon snack of ice cream (try the coconut!) or a sweet or savory crepe offering.

We were also happy with the drinks we were served, whether at a restaurant, the lobby, the beach or a pool bar. Coco Loco and Pie Pie
(I am not sure whether I am spelling that correctly) were my personal
favorites - yes, way too sweet, but really good!

Even though there are a few glitches in this, as in any, resort, the one thing we'd like to note is that this resort does not seem to have
enough beach and pool chairs for the number of guests - either that, or many people are "reserving" chairs at both the beach AND pool. It
seemed the whole resort was up and at it early in the morning (prior to 7:00 a.m.) 'reserving' chairs.

The lack of chairs and 'late arrival' of those who thought they had reserved chairs by virtue of placing their towels or other belongings
on them - which were subsequently removed by other people - served as a source of entertainment for us as we sat on the beach, sunning ourselves and people watching. Loud arguments ensued in a variety of languages......

All in all, however, we would return to this resort in an instant!

1  Thank NotSoMini