“A total rip off keep away”
Review of The Poet's Rest

The Poet's Rest
Ranked #2 of 2 Restaurants in Inniskeen
Reviewed 27 October 2017 via mobile

Visited on 27/10/17 At lunch time . The place was empty except for one other customer. And I can see why . It was like a fridge and the food preparation was appalling . We ordered two turkey dinners and it was prepared in front of us and each of the ingredients was spooned out of containers separately and microwaved. The very small portion was handed up to us freezing . The other customer who was eating the same dinner which lead us to our choice got up and paid his e8.50 for his dinner . We were charged e15 euro each for pure .
THE Worst place I have ever eaten in . In my life and again a total rip off ... health board should be paying a visit . And no toilets ..

BE WARNED

1  Thank Padraig D

Reviewed 25 June 2017

The place should be called the High Way Man as felt duped by an enticing friendly atmosphere with an extortionate bill. After paying, I returned to complain about the price and got a small refund towards it. After reading the reviews I can see how the Owner takes advantage of tourists and with the place being otherwise empty on a sunny afternoon the locals obviously know what a rip off it is. Food lovely but don't be deceived by the charm and the enticing language used to trap you into ordering various dishes being offered. Couldn't agree more with the reviews.

5  Thank EBanbridge63
Reviewed 13 June 2017 via mobile

We had a group of French visitors staying with us and decided to visit the Patrick Kavanagh centre. We enquired about food and were directed to the Poet's Rest. I rang up and outlined our requirements, basically sandwiches, tea and coffee but Martina insisted that she had a lovely fish pie, with five kinds of fish, and that this would be better for our guests. The price agreed was 15 euro and, although I felt it was a bit steep, I agreed. Some of the group still wanted sandwiches, so on a second call she agreed to do this for 9 euro. She suggested wine and dessert, both of which I declined as we were eating later in Monaghan and just wanted a snack. I confirmed approximate numbers, twenty six.
On the day the Patrick Kavanagh centre proved interesting with very helpful guides. I checked in to the restaurant and said we would be down in twenty minutes. As we entered this pretty, quaint place, the food was already out on plates, but not in individual dishes as I expected but slopped onto plates with a side of green beans. The sandwiches had been replaced by salads, but she did cater for the vegetarian and for a gluten free meal. She was short of help due to a funeral in the village, so we gave her a hand with serving and clearing to help out. She had put wine on the tables and of course people thought it was part of the meal and opened it. There was only twenty four of us, so as she had some fish pie over, she told us to share it out. The pie itself did not live up to its billing and there was more potato than fish in it. Next she sent around cheese, again not ordered, and then tea or coffee, which had been requested.
After helping clear up, we asked for the bill and in a cavalier manner she decided there were twenty eight of us, including the extra plates!, and she wanted 22 per head. While we were willing to pay a little for the extra, unasked for, items, we felt this was a rip off. We didn't want to make a fuss in front of our guests, so we collected an approximation of the bill, but were a bit short as she didn't have a card machine and not all of us had sufficient cash ( we were paying for our guests). We gathered what we could, which was still far too much but less than asked. We left with a sour taste in our mouth for what should have been a lovely experience. It is a shame because everywhere else we went, such as Ambledown, Glaslough or Andy's, Monaghan, proved a great experience. My advice is to avoid this place at all costs.

5  Thank Geraldine K
Reviewed 2 April 2017

I decided to check out this old cottage beside the Kavanagh Centre. I only wanted tea and something to go along with it as I had had lunch not long before.and had to decline the lunch dishes described by the lady working there. (As other reviewers have mentioned there was no menu and hence no pricelist.) I asked if there were scones but she didn't answer yes or no and gave me three other cake/pie options. Assuming there were no scones I ordered cake which was good and nicely presented but quite a small portion. When I went to the counter to pay I saw several types of scones on the counter. When paying I offered a 50 Euro note but was not told the cost which I expected to be less than 5 Euro. I was handed a handful of notes and change and discovered I had been charged 7 Euro. I felt ripped off and will be sure not to return. This is a sure way to turn people off I was the only person in the place on a pleasant Sunday afternoon and given what other reviewers have said about the prices perhaps people are giving this cafe a miss. I wish I had.

5  Thank tessmags2017
Reviewed 7 December 2016

WE Had lovely warm welcome into a quaint cottage with easy parking across road, the aroma of fresh cooked food also welcomed us inside. We sat down beside a warm log stove, was really hungry so I had an amazing stake, potato and two veg...Then home made apple tart straight from the oven like Granny's. We got BIG country pot of tea to finish off
All agreed ,lovely food
Forget ladies name now, but...
Thanks again... Be back soon.

Been to The Poet's Rest? Share your experiences!