First and foremost, the location is amazing. It is right across from the entrance to the old city, and it can't be beat. This is also a very remote part of Jordan, so with the heat and the limited resources, I imagine it is a challenge to offer a luxurious experience. We did hear this is the best hotel in Petra - and we are here for the sites, not for the accommodations.
However, this hotel claims to be a five star property, when it is more of a two star by international standards.
1. Location, location, location!
2. Minibar stocked with assorted drinks is complementary.
3. Laundry service is prompt and prices were reasonable.
4. There is a very nice rooftop bar which has an astronomically expensive menu for mediocre food, but a great view and breeze.
5. Some rooms have very nice terraces, perfect for viewing the night lights of Petra, or in our case, a fight amongst wild dogs over garbage.
Recommendations for improvement:
1. The air conditioning - which we are grateful to have - is incredibly loud. It sounds like a truck stop, or an airplane trying to take off. On our first night, a wonderful maintenance man tried to quiet the A/C for us, unfortunately it began smoking and making crazy grinding noises. However, the most important thing is that it worked, which is essential in the desert.
2. The accommodations are simple, and a bit worn. The bathroom has a bit of mold, and the walls and carpet show their age.
3. The food assortment caters to traditional Jordanian fare, buffet style. It would be so nice to have a nice a la carte restaurant that really prioritized food safety, given how much walking there is to do around Petra.
4. There is a pool, but it is small and not heated.
5. Housekeeping is simple. They will not replace towels unless asked or change the sheets. However, there is a water shortage in Jordan, so maybe this is for environmental reasons ?
One other observation - This hotel caters to large tour groups so be prepared for crowds at reception, at breakfast, and in the lobby.
All in all, we are here for Petra, not for the accommodations. This is a perfectly acceptable hotel. But please stop calling it a five star property.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the hidden city. The Movenpick Resort Petra is the ideal starting point for exciting excursions to the ancient City of the Nabateans. It also offers an enchanting atmosphere for you to relax and unwind as never before. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, Agoda, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Movenpick Resort Petra reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Moevenpick Resort Petra Hotel Petra / Wadi Musa
- mövenpick Petra Wadi Musa
- Movenpick Resort Petra Jordan/Petra - Wadi Musa