The Engagi Lodge
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Silverback Lodge(Bwindi Impenetrable National Park)
  • Free Internet
Gorilla Safari Lodge(Bwindi Impenetrable National Park)
View Hotel
Savannah Resort Hotel(Bwindi Impenetrable National Park)
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
  • Bar/Lounge
View Hotel
All reviewsimpenetrable foresthot water bottlesprivate traildeck areaopen firegorilla treckingrooms are comfortablestunning locationother guestswi fiincredible viewsfood is excellentenjoyed our staylodgebwindistreamcharles
Reviewed 7 October 2011

What an amazing place. Sadly we had only one night here but would happily have stayed for more. The staff were incredibly friendly, the food was wonderful and our accommodation was clean and charming. Sure it was damp but I suspect that any accommodation in or near Buhoma would have the same problem since the humidity is incredibly high. The hot water bottles were particularly welcome.

I would recommend staying here. After the long, bumpy ride (as described by GerritL), the welcome from the quiet and gentle staff and stunning view from the open lounge and restaurant left me overwhelmed and close to tears!

We had a fantastic trek to the gorillas - 7 hours of hard walking, but worth every minute.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 October 2011

Perfect location for a short break in Bwindi to trek with the gorillas.
The staff were very friendly, food was good and accommodation was basic but suited the location perfectly. We had mosquito nets provided in rooms.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 July 2011

After a very long and bumpy drive - roads are terrible - we arrived at the Engagi Lodge in Bwindi. We were welcomed with sincere big smiles by the local staff. They took us to our cabin, and yes, it is very nice location, quite comfortable. Electricity only available two hours at nights and in the morning, but more is not necessary. Just not forget to charge your batteries during these hours. As everywhere in Uganda, the staff is very very very friendly. Food in restaurant was very well prepared. Good job, chef !

But...the most atrractive part is that the lodge is very close to the Bwindi Camp, where the gorilla trekkings start. We were assigned to visit the Rushegura group, which consists of 20 gorillas. We counted 16 at the end of the trekking. It is recommended to be in a good shape, because it was hard work of climbing steep slopes to only get to the rainforest. From there, the search started. The guides did a wonderful job and we could find the gorillas after less then 2 hours of hard work. Total trekking took like 4 hours. Not too bad, but rest of the day was just relaxing at the lodge with a Nile Special beer and enjoying the great views. Worth to mention that they also organize trekkings for disabled people where their 911-team can take also wheelchaired people up to the forest. Great initiative.

Gerrit

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank GerritL
Reviewed 10 July 2011

Engagi means gorilla in Swahili. For those of you going to Bwindi for trekking, I would highly recommend staying at this gorgeous lodge constructed from wood with amazing views from rooms and bar over the impenetrable forest.

The rooms are separate cottages with large beds and each have a veranda with great views of the forest. There are no mosquito nets here but it is too cold at night even in June to need them.

The service is outstanding from some of the nicest people we met in Uganda and the food was really good to - fairly simple but all really tasty and service was quick too.

There are a number of lodges situated very close to Engagi which are supposed to be at the same level and I am sure they are all good too with similar views such as Silverback or the Volcanoes Bwindi etc. We didn't get to see them close up but can't think they would've been very different and unless you need Internet whilst you're in Bwindi I would recommend staying at Engagi which is a little more reasonable than some of the higher priced lodges.

Room Tip: All rooms good - depends whether you want stay close or far away from dining area
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 July 2011

I must say, I have to agree with everything dublin_doodler said on their review, for the most part. I will recap with my points.

First, we arrived to a tiny tent reception and were greeted warmly. The staff, oh my God. They are the nicest people I've met in my life, bending over backwards to help. That's one part of dublin_doodler's review that I disagree about. We were shown the restaurant and it is stunning. Then we were taken to our room, which is pretty cool at first.

First, the rest of the good parts. Again, the people, amazing. The food at the restaurant was the best we had all over Africa, minus falafel in Egypt. We are vegan and they made us some very unique, tasty meals. The views of the rainforest are right there and the feel of the place is really cool.

Now, the bad. The room was not our taste at all. Bathroom was dirty. Two tiny lights when power is on barely light the place. Shower ran brown water and ran out of hot water the morning we left to drive to airport and fly back to US. 50 hours without showering... Ugh. There were only 6 people staying in the entire lodge at the time too, not sure how that happened, at 5:00am. There is a gap under the front door of 2 inches, can't believe I wasn't sleeping with some critter each night. Flies in the room. Cold nights were helped by hot water bottle under sheets that they provided. And it's so damp. Sheets were wet all the time, all my clothes were wet, even after I got home to the US and went to wash them, they stunk.

That's my fair and honest review. I think the other people who have reviewed do a good job too. Believe what you read.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple