I've stayed at this hotel twice before and I'm sorry to say that the standards have fallen since I reviewed it in 2014. Back then, I wrote that the location was good but the hotel itself was in poor condition and in need of refurbishment. Still, considering the low price, I said you get decent value for money. Sadly, this is no longer the case. We have used this hotel for several years now as part of our annual school trip, but seeing how far standards have fallen, we have informed our travel operators that we do not wish to return for a fourth time.
A few things ruined it for me:
- Firstly, the NOISE. Nafplio is a quiet town, but you wouldn't know it from this experience; there are constant noises coming from various equipment and worst of all was a loud buzzing noise coming from the A/C unit even when it was turned off. I felt like taking a sledgehammer to that thing. Not only was it hard to sleep - I even woke up in the middle of the night, two nights in a row. Considering the hotel is also built with concrete and tiles, noises in the halls are amplified.
- I was also rather ticked off by the fact that the staff were SMOKING in the lobby. Despite the six (!) signs saying there's no smoking indoors, they were smoking while watching football in the evening. They stopped when I told them to, but did it again the next evening. This tells me that the staff are more concerned with entertaining their friends than keeping their guests happy.
- The SERVICE has fallen in other areas as well; several times, we were not given enough bedlinen. And when some of us asked the reception for sheets, they seemed confused. In a hotel, there should be one set of bedlinen for each individual bed - they didn't seem to understand this.
- The state of the ROOMS is shoddy; a bit dilapidated. The bathroom was okay standards-wise, but poorly ventilated.
Anything GOOD to say? Well, yes, I suppose he wi-fi is surprisingly good, and the location can still be mentioned as a plus, since it's close to cafés and within walking distance of the old town... The problem is that given Nafplio's size, lots of hotels have this.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia and TripOnline SA so you can book your Hotel Elena reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.