Parador de Cardona
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Hotel Bremon(Cardona)
View Hotel
La Garriga de Castelladral(Castelladral)
View Hotel
Hotel Villaro del Bosc(Province of Lleida)
Cal Peraire(Barcelona)
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Cal Majoral(L'Espunyola)
  • Room Service
  • Breakfast included
1,069 results
All reviewsdining roommedieval castlefour poster bedcastle experiencesalt minesevening mealamazing viewssurrounding countrysidea great place to staystunning locationwell worth the visitstayed one nightonce in a lifetimesteep hillcar parkcold meatsexcellent food
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 November 2009

Beautifully situated, in a 9th. century castle, wonderful breakfast, but don't eat there at night. Overpriced and somewhat obsequious service; when offered water, we said yes, ordinary water, but were given a small bottle for which we were charged 2,50 euros.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WildJanie
Reviewed 12 November 2009

Thankfully, the Spanish parador system still thinks I'm young (even if my wife does not). Being under 35 gives you access to the "jovenes" under-35 tariff which meant that our one night stay cost about 105 euros, instead of over 200. If I was paying the full rate, I would have found this Parador to be a tremendous rip-off. As it was, the price was about right (so only us younguns and old folk should go - all you middle aged peeps need to look elsewhere for value!)

The location is certainly stunning perched on top of a hill with tremendous views (including the fascinating salt mines - I can't understand why people don't like this). The Parador delivers the castle atmosphere you expect and the long drive up to repection is quite a thrill.

The problem is with the room. Oh the room. What an average, uninspiring room. Yes, the Paradors are govermnet run so I was not expecting the latest in room amenities, but I'm sure our bed was still adorned with the same maroon bedspread that looked "fashion" to someone back in '84. The arms on our armchairs were worn through and the bathroom was basically a slice of interior design comedy. But, it was huge and the views were tremendous. In my personal hotel classification system, this room only gets 2 stars.

Drinks are lovely on the terrace and the barman was friendly and efficient. Your only real choice for dinner is the restaurant, and we actually had ourselves an utterly delicious meal (duck paella). The restaurant is in a beautiful hall and we found the service attentive and helpful (the waitress actually discouraged us from ordering 2 dishes as she knew the Paella would be sufficient - which it was!).

Overall we had a fantastic experience (it was our wedding anniversary), but only because we did not quite break the budget. The place is certainly in need of an overhaul but still has some undeniable magic - hey, it is a castle afterall. Perhaps an average rating is harsh, but I'm in a harsh mood.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ElCapitanTinto
Reviewed 10 October 2009

The Parador at Cardona is a fantastic castle atop a hill, with great views out over the surrounding countryside (except for the nearby salt mines). You can see Montserrat in the distance. Our stay there was delightful. Nice room, great castle to explore (although I think they ought to work out a deal that staying at the hotel gives you gratis admission to the old castle). Dinner was terrific Catalonian cuisine, and breakfast was a wonderful buffet. One of many paradors we have stayed at, and another great stay. Signage outside could be a little better in terms of where to park your car. But only minor criticisms. The parador delivered the castle experience that we enjoyed.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank djlawman
Reviewed 31 July 2009

I join the other reviewers and can say that this is a really great and romantic place to stay - for one or two nights. We stayed for two nigts, and Cardona itself is kinda sleepy and slient town and the heat were incredible. We missed a pool at the hotel - the public pools downtown were too crowded.

I dont think its possible to complain about the view of the salt mine, that what have given Cardona most of its history and somewhat give people in the area income. We did also visit the mineral-park and had a walk inside the salt mountan, it was ok.

We did have one dinner at the hotel, the lamb chops. I didnt like it very much. Too much bones and fat, and little meat. Not like the chops I have tasted before.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Reiserundt
Reviewed 30 July 2009

Really a great way to have a castle experience. We went for 2 nights for my daughter's birthday, and she loved it. Nice accommodations, helpful staff, and gorgeous castle. Breakfast was good, but other meals overpriced. We at at El Petit Perico in town and had a delicious dinner there, with a nice, somewhat casual atmosphere. Town of cardona is a nice medieval town to walk through.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family