“Inexpensive, Funky but Interesting Links Style Course”

The Links at Riverlakes Ranch
Reviewed 3 February 2017

I was in Bakersfield in early February for a few days on business. I had one day off and decided to find an inexpensive golf venue to keep my game up. I looked up deals on Golfnow.com and The Links at Riverlakes Ranch looked interesting. They had rates from $40-21. depending on the start time and includes a cart. The $21. rate was at 12:56pm and of course Golfnow adds a few dollars more to book. I unloaded at the bag drop and there were no bag boys. I went in the lovely clubhouse and restaurant and paid. I was given a key to my old cart and loaded up my clubs and went to the starter. I had an 11:06am start time but got there an hour early and was able to get right out at 10:15. The course's fairways had dead grass in the wintertime. It played ok but looked like a leopard. The greens were in good shape and held when you hit them. As this is a public course, I was repairing other people's ball marks on the greens. The course is funky but very interesting as well as challenging with a number of water features. I completed my round in 4 hours.This was not the most beautiful course I have ever golfed but I enjoyed my round. If you are with someone who must have the best, this isn't it. If cost is of concern, this is still a great deal for 18 holes plus cart. If you thought this review was helpful, please let Trip Advisor know!

Reviewed 9 August 2015

Wonderful layout, great food and drink, great pro shop, wonderful bartenders...the only problem is that every summer, they lose a few greens...14 is green painted dirt...we just play it as a two putt green...fairways and tee boxes are nice...sand traps have no sand, which can be a real problem...solid bar cart and strong, top shelf drinks...country club style - plus, NEVER pay full price - ALWAYS check with Golf Now...

Reviewed 7 August 2015

If you want a taste of links golf this is one of the few courses I've seen (outside of Scotland) that will give you a good taste of links golf. The course has a GREAT layout with lots of bunkers of different sizes and depths just like in Scotland, the fairway bunker on one hole is about 200 yards long. Every hole is unique and different from the others which is refreshing, make sure you pick the right tee boxes to play from, the back tees on the par 3's are very tough. They have a country club style clubhouse with a great restaurant/bar with 80" televisions and the food is superb, the beer/wine list is one of the best I've seen at a golf course, and staff is great.

Reviewed 14 March 2015

I have played at many golf courses and this one needs some serious improvement. First the greens are an absolute poor condition. When putting your ball does not roll smooth at all. And as per one of the other reviewers stated the greens must have a disease because large portions are dirt only. Second the sand traps are not sand traps. They are dirt and rock traps. Very disappointing. The fairways are in ok condition, however many portions have such low cut or none growing grass that it is like hitting off damp dirt. The buildings and carts were in good condition and the rates were ok. I believe they were high for the conditions. The employees we were in contact with were all very nice and helpful.

See more reviews
Reviewed 8 August 2014

The course itself is in not too bad a shape. But the greens must be diseased since there is very little grass and are painted over. Rates have been dropped because of the problem but if you're looking for a great practice round and don't need to putt, this would be the place for you. Tee time was at 7am and the restaurant didn't open till 7 so instead of great breakfast burritos, we settled for McDonalds.