“Don't stay here”
Review of Bancroft Hotel

Bancroft Hotel
Ranked #17 of 20 Hotels in Berkeley
Reviewed 15 May 2015

We selected this hotel because of its location, style and the reviews on TripAdvisor. It is old and we love old, but not uncared for and shabby. No amenities like a full length mirror, iron, hair dryer. Left around 9 am and remembered we had left 2 jackets in the closet. When we called a few hours later no one had seen them. They said they asked the housekeeper and looked around. The people we spoke to really didn't care. Their attitude shows they don't know they are in the hospitality business.

Stayed: May 2015
1  Thank Saugatuckian

Reviewed 3 May 2015

Stayed here 3 nights in a Bay view room that faced Bancroft. Room was small but very clean . Luckily the balcony made it feel a bit larger than it was. I had forgotten how loud Berkeley can be! The bay view was so distant that it almost didn't count.
Good breakfast, complete with fruit, granola, yoghurt, pastries, oatmeal. Parking is very tight right next to the hotel. Check in is at 3pm and not one minute sooner...
All in all, convenient for conducting business at Cal, but not a luxurious place like the Claremont

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 February 2015

We just got home from a 4 day visit to Berkeley and stayed at the Bancroft. We had a great time. The hotel staff (front desk, breakfast crew, house keeping, EVERYBODY!) were over the top helpful and accomodating. I had a few OJ quirks that the front desk helped me with each morning and evening (THANK YOU!!). The rooms are small with few amenities (no fridge) but very clean & comfortable. Our room on the 3rd floor (no elevator so good exercise) had a great view of the Bay and the Golden Gate Bridge. The bancroft is right accross the street from UC Berkeley and a short walk from shops and great Dining. Even though the room had no fridge the front desk helped me out with keeping my OJ cold through the day. The front Desk staff helped us out with every need and request, always with a smile and a kind word. I HIGHLY reccomend the Bancroft!!

Room Tip: third floor with Bay View
  • Stayed: February 2015, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 February 2015

I spent four nights at the Bancroft Hotel and enjoyed it. I liked the breakfast room, and it was one of the better continental breakfasts I've had (bananas, apples, fresh oatmeal, delicious pastries, plain yogurt, and great granola). I liked the french windows in my room and the fragrant tree just outside. The art in my room really added to the pleasant environment. The bed was comfortable and I loved the pillows. My only caveat is that I was glad I bought ear plugs -- my room faced Durant Street and there was a little late night noise. Not too bad, and not too long -- but I was glad I had ear plugs so close to a college campus.

• Stayed: February 2015, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 January 2015 via mobile

Parking lot is close by and inexpensive. Free breakfast, walk to shopping, UC Berkeley and food galore! Cute rooms - small rooms but quaint and very clean. Location is in a safe area and staff is very friendly and helpful. I'd definitely stay here again.

Stayed: January 2015, travelled with friends