US$138
Doubletree.com
  • Pool
US$175
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$195/night.

US$209
  • Breakfast included
US$179
Marina Inn(Berkeley)
US$119
All reviewsfree parkinghi expressnice hotelroom was cleanchoose this hotelbusiness centerfree breakfastbooked roomswithin walking distanceuniversity avenuestayed one nightsan franciscositting areabusiness tripdefinitely stay here againbart stationconvenient location
Reviewed 14 January 2018

We stayed here for three nights. This HIE provided everything that we expect from this chain. We were "upgraded" to a large room on the ground floor. It was very comfortable, perfectly clean and we had everything that we required including mini-kitchen with microwave, coffee machine and refrigerator. The only problem with being on the ground floor was the window looked out onto the parking lot.
Breakfast choices were good and there was plenty of food, nothing ran out. The small business centre had two computers and a printer so was useful for printing out airline boarding passes etc. There is also a fitness centre, but we did not use this.
We found all the staff, and especially the front desk staff, very helpful and friendly.
There are a variety of restaurants close by, and within a short walk, on University Avenue. This includes a good Thai restaurant right next door. However, after dark, we found that there were a number homeless wandering the sidewalks of University Avenue and hanging around some take-out establishments.
The hotel is within ten minutes walk of Berkeley North BART transit station with direct trains across the Bay to San Francisco and also SF International and Oakland airports. We used this way of travelling into San Francisco. Staying in Berkeley was much less expensive than getting a hotel in SF.
The hotel is also convenient for Berkeley Campus - there is a local bus from outside the hotel, up University Avenue to the Campus.
We will use this HIE on future trips to San Francisco.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Philip M
HolidayInnBerkeley, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Berkeley, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2018

Thank you so much for choosing the Holiday Inn Express & Suites in Berkeley for your trip to the Bay Area. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you feel you received great service. It is something that our staff does take great pride in so we do appreciate your feedback.

It is unfortunate that there will be some of the homeless walking around on University ave, I am sorry that you had to witness that. Unfortunately it is an ongoing issue throughout the whole bay area.

I am also terribly sorry that your upgraded room was on the bottom floor. Normally upgrades are subject to availability, but please feel free to let us know any of your floor preferences. We will do our best to honor your requests.

Thanks again for stayin gwith us and we hope to see you again soon!

Desiree Dumalag
Front Office Manager
info@hiexberkeley.com
510 548 1700

Reviewed 13 January 2018

This is a hidden gem in the east bay area. Recently retired and traveling throughout USA and Canada, we found Holiday Inn Express and Suites as a favorite chain hotel. Most hotels charge for parking in bay area and for breakfast. In reading many other hotel reviews, if offer free parking the reviewers complained of shortage of parking and must park on the street which were full. Holiday Inn Express and Suites in Berkeley have plenty parking. Location is close to the 80/580 freeway access. Convenient to drive to/from bay bridge. I was pleased with the breakfast and staff was wonderful! Most of the all, the price was great!

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for choosing the Holiday Inn Express & Suites in Berkeley! We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you feel you received great service. It is something that our staff takes great pride in, so we appreciate your feedback. I am also glad to hear that you were able to find our parking plentiful, especially since the drive back from the bay bridge has a lot of traffic normally.

Hope your trip to the bay area was great!

Thank you again for staying with us and have a great day!

Desiree Dumalag
Front Office Manager
info@hiexberkeley.com
510 548 1700

Reviewed 18 December 2017

Stayed just after Thanksgiving weekend for four nights. I was given a top-floor room (king mini-suite) on the east side of the hotel (Room 326), with a pleasant view. As I wrote in a previous review, the parking area of this hotel is rather nice to look at (small trees, larger ones overlooking the area, etc.) -- plus there's a partial view of the pretty Berkeley hills. Service from the hotel staff was fine (if not always the most warm and friendly). Bedding and pillows were fine as well (they still provide a choice of soft or firm pillows), and the large desk is always appreciated. I didn't eat breakfast at the hotel so can't comment. Apparently they no longer offer food delivery from offsite restaurants, though. The bathroom (bathtub, specifically) has been updated since my last stay in 2015. (Speaking of which, the shower in my room was *excellent* -- just the right pressure and/or showerhead, and easy to get the desired temperature.) A few "negatives" (although nothing major): My bathroom door, if it wasn't closed, consistently swung wide open until it hit the room front door (so had to be moved out of the way and closed, every time I left). One of the two business center computers seemed to have a problem of some sort; and the hotel's beverage machines were in need of refilling (which hadn't happened by the time I checked out). But overall, my stay was fine and I definitely intend to stay there again. The price was quite reasonable, too. I recommend this property.

Room Tip: Get a room that faces east, on the north side (if don't need to be near elevator)
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Duncanq493
Reviewed 10 December 2017

Nice clean rooms with free parking close to the university . Helpful and friendly staff and ability to walk to many restaurants and services right on University Ave. The hotel has a nice friendly staff and rooms are clean and quiet.

Room Tip: The have a nice suite with 2 rooms on the ground floor great for 2 business people
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank REED583
Reviewed 9 November 2017

We found this to be a decent hotel in a busy area. The parking was free and convenient. The room was clean, with all the standard amenities, although the in room safe did not work. The complimentary breakfast was well stocked.

The location was convenient, with many local options for food within walking distance.

My only complaint is that I discovered that I left an item in the room after checking out, and the staff were not very responsive to my request for assistance. I did not recover the item.

Room Tip: Unless close to the road, all rooms would be about the same.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Berkeley, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2017

Dear Rob C,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. I certainly appreciate you taking the time to bring your concerns to our attention. We are always happy to provide a consistently clean, comfortable and courteous place for our guests. I am glad you were satisfied with the room received, your dining experience and found the location of the hotel convenient to your needs. However, please accept our sincere apologies your stay was negatively affected by the level of service received with regards to your left item. We take comments such as these very seriously and would like to follow up with you. I have sent you a private message in an effort to obtain more information.

I look forward to hearing back from you very soon and be of further assistance.

Grace P.