“Creative and good food, but somewhat pricey”
Review of Venus Restaurant

Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Bancroft
Transit: 3 Blocks South of Downtown Berkeley BART Station, more information at http://www.venusrestaurant.net
Description: Venus features the best of our local foodshed, from local farms, waters and ranches, served in warm and lovely style in the heart of Downtown Berkeley. A favorite dinner spot for theater goers, Venus devotes itself to local and organic purveyors, creating delicious Northern California style dishes. The wine list focuses on bio-dynamic, and sustainably farmed grapes, and a "New World" style of wine-making, where the fruit expresses itself. An open kitchen and banquette seating create a cozy vibe. Chef Amy Murray is a 15 year veteran of the organic, farm-to-table movement. Menus are created each month to highlight the best of the season and evoke good appetites. Venus also serves a unique brunch and lunch, and offers uncommonly good beer, wine and light cocktails. We are happy to do small parties and buy outs, and tasty lunch catering.
Reviewed 5 August 2017

Stopped here when visiting UCB campus, based on good reviews. Snagged a close metered spot and the restaurant wasn't overly crowded. Ordered a hot mocha and the drink comes in a relatively tall drinking glass (not a glass coffee mug), and it was good but not as hot as I prefer. The menu is pretty diverse. I ordered scrambled eggs and a half stack of the blueberry-banana pancakes. Service was nice and they checked on us several times. The pancakes were scrumptious, but although the full stack (3) was priced about $9, I think the half stack (2) was $7 which I think is overpriced.My daughter had the Venus benedict and enjoyed every bite! If I lived nearby I'd probably give this place another try but when traveling next to Berkeley, I'll probably try another place.

Reviewed 23 May 2017 via mobile

Superb breakfast. Good portion size and variety. Great breakfast potatoes and the breakfast muffin is to die for. We came here twice in one week and it was just as good the second time. Very busy, be prepared to wait.

Reviewed 21 May 2017

This restaurant has closed packed tables; a small but very nice menu. It all encourages interaction with other people.there was only single, but competent waiter, which made service slow a times. Food very nice. I wanted to have the have the fish and chips - it was thought sold out. Anyhow I ewas very pleased with my dish at a very reasonable price.

Reviewed 8 May 2017

I had a delightful breakfast here. I highly recommend getting the lemon pancakes!!! Everything was wonderful.

Reviewed 1 May 2017

For years we have enjoyed eating at Venus --always excellent food. Venus changed ownership in March . After our experience last evening, we will not return. There was only one person working the floor -- previously there has always been at least 3 people. Our waiter took our drink order and came back and said that there was less than 2 glasses of wine in the bottle so he would charge us only for one. Fine but he never asked if we wanted a second glass -- not that we did but we weren't asked. My partner had the soup -- it was under seasoned. He also had the crepes which he said were fine. I had the fish and chips. The fish was mostly breading with a bit of fish. The chips were oven roasted potatoes which would have been great but they were barely warm and tasted like they were left over from the day before. The house cole slaw had no flavor and was just dumped on the plate with the fish piled on top. When we had finished our main dishes, the waiter brought us our check. We were not asked if we wanted dessert or coffee or tea. And little things--in the past we could hear the cooks chatting and joking. This time there was dead silence from the kitchen and very somber expressions. We left feeling quite sad that Venus has become so very different.