“A massive burrito and a Corona after a day too long to be real...”
Review of Juan's Place

Juan's Place
Ranked #173 of 747 Restaurants in Berkeley
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 8 October 2017

When my partner suggested this place, we two made the drive from Oakland (with a friend of his). I could have fainted from gratitude. The chips and salsas were perfect. The service was brilliant. And my burrito made me wish, for a second, that I lived on the left coast.

Reviewed 30 September 2017

I have enjoyed several different types of burritos, Chile rellenos and Chile Verde at Juan's Place. All very good and above average with ample portions, chips and house made sauces along with flour or corn tortillas. This was my first Crab enchilada plate.
It was very good in the green sauce, but the crab was canned and not fresh.
Great service, quaint Mexican atmosphere and Juan (the son of the founder) is your charming host.

Reviewed 11 August 2017 via mobile

I remember my first visit here in 2008. It was amazing. Prices. Portions. Atmosphere.

As I returned to relive my previous experience. I was disappointed.

The good:
Beans and rice were authentic and delicious. Red salsa was sweet. Service was friendly. My kids shared the nachos. They were good.

The bad:
The chile colorado was bland. The corn tortilla chips were like chewing glass. The tamales were bland.

The ugly:
3 plates of food
1 soda
1 small beer
$60!!!

One tamale rice and beans was 13.50 alone. 8.00 for a small modelo. The food was okay. Nothing like what it was. The price was horrible considering the decrease in quality.

I am very sad I will not be returning.

1  Thank Trina M
Reviewed 21 June 2017

I used to eat here a lot when I lived in the Bay Area ten years ago. Their Chile Verde is the best I have had anywhere. I ordered the half portion and could barely finish it.

Reviewed 11 April 2017 via mobile

We've been going here 35 year's and the food is still delicious. Some of the same family still works there. For a authentic taste of Mexico give it a try. Large portions...great to share or leftovers.