“New Management - New Name - AKEMI”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Miyuki Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #361 of 747 Restaurants in Berkeley
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 13 October 2015

WOW! What a difference! Akemi now occupies the same space at 1695 Solano Ave., as the old Miyuki which no longer exists. The decor and menu are completely updated. And, the food is FABULOUS! This by far is the best Sushi Restaurant in Berkeley. Expensive - YES! And, the quality - SUPERB!

I ordered a 10 piece sashimi dinner. At any other restaurant this would have been a 20 piece meal. The sashimi was thickly sliced, and very fresh. Served in a traditional manner, Akemi has the best sashimi I have ever tasted. And, the hot dishes are excellent as well.

The decor is simple, brown tones, simulated wood; traditional Japanese in style. If you're looking for inexpensive combo plates served in a brightly lit restaurant on formica tables, Akemi is not the place for you. The restaurant caters to a young, hip eclectic Berkeley crowd. This is a happening place serving really good food! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Reviewed 3 February 2015

This is by far the best sushi I and my sushi-loving family have had in Berkeley. The fish is ALWAYS fresh, the portions are generous, and the price is right. They are always happy to customize your rode. The wait staff are friendly, knowledgable, and fast, and the sushi chefs are fun! We live close and have been many times, and have always enjoyed our meals. We have tried several other local sushi restaurants, but nothing compares to Miyuki.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

We went for lunch the other day, I thought the prices were pretty good.
Get the crispy California roll, it's awesome. The double salmon roll was really good too. The Philadelphia roll was good. The spicy tuna roll was just ok though, nothing great. I'll probably come back.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

I enjoyed wonderful Japanese Food at Miyuki for years. The sushi was delicious, as were the Miso soup and Chicken entrees. Well, the restaurant is now under new ownership and the menu has changed. The salmon tasted "fishy" and didn't seem fresh and was full of bones. The beef entrée was over-cooked and the chicken wasn't tender like I remembered it. The new cooks obviously have their own style and standards and I didn't care for it. I won't return because the food was very disappointing and over-priced for forgettable food.

Reviewed 9 January 2014

Title says it all, but when we sat down, the restaurant was pretty empty, it still took forever to the the menu from the waitress, and then to get her again to order, and again to get the check took forever, even after we asked for the check. The quality of the food was terrible as well. I would never ever go back here.